Just starting out ... during wildfire season!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanlifenment

Reaction score
Hi, community! I'll be starting vanlife this weekend from southern California. We have a Dodge RAM 3500 maxi van, and I've built the interior out on the cheap and made my own composting toilet. I'm excited and terrified to start this new chapter in life, but my cats are ready to go! They need more space and freedom ... just like me. 

Unfortunately, every direction I'm looking to go is either a) on fire, or b) hot enough to kill my cats in a few hours. We'll be heading to Canada once it opens, but until then, we need to find a cool place to stay. I'm thinking of heading to the mountains around Santa Fe, NM first and going north from there. Coconino Forest near Flagstaff was the original plan, but the forests are still closed, so we have a long drive ahead of us. I'm trying to plan a way to get there that's comfortable for my cats and engine. 

Suggestions or alternative destinations welcome! Thank you for being part of this community space!

Susie @ Vanlifenment

Welcome Susie to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Highdesertranger

Coconino and Kaibab forest reopened on July 6th. It is monsoon season inbthe Flagdtaff area so the daytime high is in the upper 70s to the 80s, however it is likely to rain most afternoons. Sometimes only light rain but some days there is a prediction for the chance of heavy rain. You will likely want a way to supplement electrical power if you are solely dependent on solar and plan to camp in northern Arizona or New Mexico this next month's time.

Northern Oregon coast and Washington along with the western Olympic mountains is supposed to be in the mid 60's for next 10 days.
No fires in area at last check.

On your way up north, there is the Inyo NF along US-395, aka Eastern Sierras, and it is mostly open.

Temps around Mammoth Lakes have been okay to me, but I'm not heat sensitive until the mid 90's. The local air quality has improved a lot, since the Dexter fire has been under control.

"Dexter, Glacier and Lightning Fires update July 23"
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD934217

The Dexter (East of US-395, Bald Mountain area) and Glacier (West of US-395) fires are both 97% contained as "crews continue to mop up and suppression repair activities".

There is a forest closure, due to the Dexter fire, along Owens River Road in the Crestview area. The closed area is East of US-395 and North of that road, however the road does have a barricade at US-395, so entry would have to be made from somewhere south of Crestview.