Just recently bought a 1987 30 foot class a motorhome that only had 38,000 miles on i

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thurman

Reaction score
Just got a 30 foot class A motorhome 4 months ago  immediately went to work on it I change the kitchen flooring out to linoleum and then started my big project of solar I have 8  panels at 303 W at 9.4 A of battery I have two battery banks at 24 V 400 amp hours how many people think that this is more than sufficient to run AC is refrigerator and Solon the guy that owns the solar company I dealt with said that it is more than ample to do so what all do you guys think ?

Not really uncommon to find low mileage motorhomes, some people realize after spending that money they are not cut out for the lifestyle and cut their loses. You got plenty room and a good amount of solar. Best of luck stay on top of the maintenances and enjoy. Welcome to the group.

do you actually have room on the roof for all those panels? that's a lot of square footage of panels.

you have enough panels to run the AC in full sun. but what do you have for batteries to run it in less then full sun or at night?

I just noticed your brand new here, please go to the "Newcomers corner" and give us an intro.

highdesertranger

Mmmm IDK...If you have lithium yes. If you have FLA and the extra money I would install a 3kw inverter-charger with 50A transfer switch that can trigger the generator. Cause a 13.5btu AC is probablly pulling ~1500W = 60-65A @ 24v. Duty cycle is going to vary greatly. With FLA 800A (400a @50% dod) wont last 10-12hrs in 90f+ cause those roof AC's run and run in a big class A.

Theory vs reality though. Having the generator for backup would be a good idea.

You for sure have enough panels.

Thurman said:
Just got a 30 foot class A motorhome 4 months ago  immediately went to work on it..... so what all do you guys think ?

What I think about your solar is overshadowed by a 32 year old coach with 38K miles on it, the inspector may have a punch list that needs addressing before you roll down the road.

what is the ac stats? more than 1 ac in the unit? once you learn the draw etc on the ac you are using you can then determine if ya got enough for it all.

if the 'solar guy' did all the math for ya and said it is sufficient, then you are good to go I think :)

it takes ALOT of solar to run a motorhome and if you are throwing in AC on full blast constantly cause you are in very hot weather then......but if your solar guy figured it out for ya and you are convinced he is right, then ya got it made.

May I ask what solar guy is charging for this total system to run your motorhome full speed on solar? just curious cause I might wanna do it down the road :) and always wondered what a big solar package would cost me to do this? thanks

I can't believe you old timers missed the most important part of this thread. To the OP...

Pics of the new RV or it didn't happen!

I highly recommend building a 48v bank, if possible and getting a high efficiency mini-split that way you have very efficient heat and cooling.

A unit like this HSAC-12H/C http://www.geinnovations.net/HSAC_Productline.html only draws 560 watts (11.5 amps at 48v dc) to provide 12,000 BTUs of cooling. There's no high current draw starts with it either and it's scalable, drawing less power when less cooling is needed. It will draw about 1/3 the power your RV roof AC draws for an equivalent amount of cooling. Sure it's expensive, but it will pay for itself with a solar/battery system that's only 1/3 the size you would otherwise need, allowing you to run your AC all night on 400 usable amp hrs.

Chip

5 digit odometers were replaced by 6 digit odos in the early to mid nineties depending on the state. When a 5 digit rolls over it goes back to 0, so it is impossible to tell how many actual miles are on the vehicle.