Just Installed a Bed Drawer system in my truck.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlands

Reaction score
Was looking around on Craigslist and found a bed drawer system called "DECKED" that was used by an older couple. They paid $1149.00 for it which I think was overpriced. They bought a new truck and it didn't fit as it is vehicle specific. I bought it for less than half price and it is under 1 year old. Was thinking about making my own truck bed system but this was so much easier. I was given a Cabela's inflatable mattress which fit perfectly for the top and I'm still arranging my gear in the drawers. I'm also figuring out how to black the windows out and add some lighting, a water jug, inverter and heater. I love the stealth of it. I may add a solar panel on the roof as well.

Hi Badlands,

What a great system. Looks very solid. This set up should serve you well for years and years. Do you have trap doors kind of thing to access your stuff from inside as well?

-Nicole

ilovemyvan said:
Hi Badlands,

What a great system. Looks very solid. This set up should serve you well for years and years. Do you have trap doors kind of thing to access your stuff from inside as well?

-Nicole
 Hello Nicole! No there is no way to access the drawers from the inside which sucks :D. The 4 corners all have boxes built in with a lid you pull out, you can also put the lids back in up side down and they become drink holders which I thought was neat. I'm looking at the ARB Fridge Freezer to put on top of the drawer system, they are expensive but really work so it might be a good investment. I also built an expedition trailer to tow behind the truck that has everything you could possibly need so the truck is just mostly for sleeping in.

Very nice! Would like to see more of that trailer, or maybe a build thread somewhere!?

Well I added some stuff to the front and rear of the trailer lately. Moved the spare tire to the back on a mount I welded up and added a fire extinguisher, an axe and two 5 gallon jerry can water jugs for refilling the 65 gallon water tank. Also built a rescue style mini bike I put together on the front, Installed a billet rod and flywheel on the 6.5hp engine, re jetted the carb and put on a K&N Filter. Built my own exhaust, dis connected the governor and put on a K&N Filter. Got another 10mph out of it.

Added two 100 watt solar panels to the roof with a charge controller and 1000 watt inverter run off of two commercial 6 volt batteries connected together for 12volt operation. All run thru a water proof sprinkler control box I set up as a fused power station 

Ok, I'm guessing but,
You started w/ a utility bed off a truck and added a U-bed topper, then built around it?

Or is that built from scratch?

It's a very nice trailer! Are using "Quick-Fists" for holding things like the ax? And if so how do you like them?
Really like the mattock placement.

That is very cool. You could go off for a couple of months with that 65 gal. water tank. If water is stored that long and it's warm out, is it still safe/ok to drink? I'm guessing yes...

Water in itself doesn't "go bad". If something is allowed into the tank, that is a different matter. Warm water isn't a problem. Treating it for storage is a good idea. I retreat my stored water periodically.

Dude has a serious boondock SHTF bug out trailer there. My only concern would be getting ripped off as most all the neat stuff is quite visible... Course if you don't leave it and have your own means of defense maybe... Or good neighbors.

as far as the "quick-fists" go my buddy was our guinea pig. he bought some almost 2 years ago, to hold an axe, shovel, on the outside of his rig. so far they work great. I must admit I was a little skeptical but I just checked them last week and the rubber was still in great shape with no signs of uv degradation. that is a cool trailer. highdesertranger

Question marks were supposed to be thumbs up, unable to edit.

That deck system is nice! Years ago a friend built a similar system into a 63 to 65 GMC Carry All. That was the fore runner to the suburban.
His was made from wood, with one large drawer, and a deck on top that you could sleep on.
About the trailer, that is totally AWESOME! Any idea what it weighs fully loaded?

Ballenxj said:
That deck system is nice! Years ago a friend built a similar system into a 63 to 65 GMC Carry All. That was the fore runner to the suburban.
His was made from wood, with one large drawer, and a deck on top that you could sleep on.
About the trailer, that is totally AWESOME! Any idea what it weighs fully loaded?

The trailer its self weighs in at 1740 empty, 65 gallons water is 520lbs, shell is 100lbs, fuel is another 960lbs, mini bike is roughly 150lbs, another 1000lbs in cargo so my guestimate is around 4,470lbs +/-. It is not light to say the least but with the F350 it is no problem and I have everything I need to live long term in relative comfort should the need arise.

Latest posts