Just bought a used Ford Transit to convert

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone who knows electrical stuff is amazing. It's so complicated that you have to be incredibly smart to master it. Somehow I will repay you all for your help. I promise you that.

--mocean

Awjuhl said:
Do you have a friend who is an auto mechanic... lol

Need the amp draw from the fridge and set up your power port off from that. Mounting it is at your discretion just remember not to short out the wires

Fuses are based on required amp draw and wire sizing.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I do have a friend who's an auto mechanic, but I'm in AZ right now and he's in CA. I won't see him for 2 weeks.. :(  Short out? Good grief..

I am by trade an RF engineer...
I have a 2016 Transit with DC to DC charging from the alternator, solar charging from 200 watts of panel and 6kw of lithium storage. I use a DC fridge, I have an inverter for electric stove, microwave, and air conditioning. You can assemble a lithium pack from stuff you buy online. Or find an electrical upfitter, I specialize in Ford Transits and am based out of Maryland if interested

IGBT said:
I still think a refurbished YETI 1000 for ~$700 is a good value.  It has a good true sine 1500 watt inverter that runs laptops, power tools, vacuum cleaners and refrigerator compressors.  You can run one of the small icebox coolers for a couple of days on a charge.  It has a built in solar charge controller but it isn't anything fancy, just a PWM controller.

I just like how portable and easy to use it is.  The other stuff is great, buying a separate lead acid battery, inverter, charge controller, fuses, wire, outlets, but takes time and some skill to set up.  I have the skills, being an electrical engineer and I STILL went with the YETI.

Congrats on the Transit, we love ours.   We just added a 120" Alurack roof rack for carrying up to 400 pounds of stuff on the roof if needed.  A nice bit of kit.

It sounds like it would be cheaper to get a yeti?

vangotransit said:
I am by trade an RF engineer...
I have a 2016 Transit with DC to DC charging from the alternator, solar charging from 200 watts of panel and 6kw of lithium storage. I use a DC fridge, I have an inverter for electric stove, microwave, and air conditioning. You can assemble a lithium pack from stuff you buy online. Or find an electrical upfitter, I specialize in Ford Transits and am based out of Maryland if interested

I don't know what an RF engineer is :blush: Your setup.sounds amazing. You're a bit too far away from me AZ/CA and I think I need to do it myself to save $, but thank you :shy:

So tomorrow, I'm going to get either a refurbished yeti or a lithium battery and power port from an auto shop. Which lithium battery do I buy? What fuse do I need and where do I get one? I guess I need a piece of plywood to attach stuff to. The 100w Renogy panel has a charge controller attached to it. The fridge has both a cigarette lighter plug and 3 pronged plug.

Since you claim to know nothing about electricity and no one to help, get a yeti. Yeti's are made for people that know nothing about electricity. Plug it into you vehicle cigarette lighter when you drive to charge it. I don't normally recommend the all in one boxes but your case seems to fit the bill.

Or people who know too much about electricity and know that by the time you buy a true sine inverter, fuses, lithium battery, bms, charge controller, you have spent more than the YETI and still have something that looks homemade and isn't very portable.   ;)

IGBT said:
I still think a refurbished YETI 1000 for ~$700 is a good value.  It has a good true sine 1500 watt inverter that runs laptops, power tools, vacuum cleaners and refrigerator compressors.  You can run one of the small icebox coolers for a couple of days on a charge.  It has a built in solar charge controller but it isn't anything fancy, just a PWM controller.

I just like how portable and easy to use it is.  The other stuff is great, buying a separate lead acid battery, inverter, charge controller, fuses, wire, outlets, but takes time and some skill to set up.  I have the skills, being an electrical engineer and I STILL went with the YETI.

Congrats on the Transit, we love ours.   We just added a 120" Alurack roof rack for carrying up to 400 pounds of stuff on the roof if needed.  A nice bit of kit.
Can yeti's be expanded? Did you install the rack yourself? How much solar do you have?

We have actually had the YETI 1000 for a couple of years (still going strong!) and recently bought a YETI 3000 during the 25% off sale.   We have not attached solar yet because I wanted to see how the roof rack looked and figure out placement.   We installed the roof rack ourselves which took about 5 hours.  I did add a piece of 1-1/2 aluminum angle to the front edge of the roof rack which cut the noise down to zero.  There was some wind whistle across the bars before that addition.

I don't think a roof rack like we have is required for most, but we have a lot of boats we like to carry around.

on the Yeti's

don't they take a long time to recharge?
aren't they limited to how much solar you can use?
isn't the plug for solar one of a kind so you must but their over priced smallish panel?
are the separate components replaceable or if one dies does the whole thing pretty much must be turned in for warranty work?

highdesertranger

The AC charger they come with is really small (60 watts or so) so takes about 18 hours to recharge a YETI 1000 off of a wall outlet.  The YETI 3000 comes with two of them (120 watts) but since it is 3000 watt hour, it takes 25 hours to recharge off a wall outlet.

But during the 25% off sale we bought the 25 amp AC charger for a bit over $100 which charges either YETI at 300 watts, bringing the recharge time of the YETI 1000 to a more reasonable 3.5 hours.   You can also use the wall chargers at the same time, so you can have 360 to 420 watts going in.

The solar can actually be any panel that has a open circuit voltage less than 22 volts.  Something like two or three of the Renogy 100 watt mono panels would work well and those ship free.   The YETI has a Anderson powerpole connector which is fairly common.  I plan to make my own adapter to go from the standard MC4 to Anderson but it probably already exists on Amazon (as everything does).

The YETI 1000 comes with a PWM controller and the 3000 comes with a MPPT controller (a little more efficient).

As far as service, yeah I think you have to ship back the whole unit but Goal Zero does send you a prepaid shipping box.   I haven't had any problems with either of mine, knock on wood.   I figure it is probably easier to send the YETI back for service than to send some loose LiFePO4 cells back to China for replacement  :)

Battleborn of course could be a good option if you want to build  your own.   Their battery is $950 for about 1200 watt-hr, so a bit larger than the YETI 1000 on capacity.   A PWM charger is cheap, a true sine inverter of 1500 watt rating is probably about $250.   Fuses and wiring maybe $50.   You could build something nice for under $1500, it just would not be quite as portable.

Like they said, each has pros and cons.

Just camped two nights in the uninsulated Transit van (but on a 8 inch thick memory foam mattress) in temperatures that got down to 22 degrees (brrr).   We tried out the electric blanket (queen size) after noticing that with both controls on the high setting it was only drawing 130 watts from the YETI 3000.   SO NICE!  I had to turn mine way down during the night as I got too hot.   We used about 11% of the capacity of the YETI 3000 running the blanket overnight.  After two nights of using it to make coffee, toast, run laptops, the 3000 was down to 58% capacity.   I am quite pleased with it and still loving the Ford Transit van.   

If the YETI 3000 goes on sale again I would probably get another!