Jus’ gotta older side-entry Chinook!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats cool! didnt know they made a side entry. friend has a chinook rear entry but it is a hassle to get in/out when towing with it.

can you post a pic of the back of it? I'd like to see what it looks like without the door.

thanks

Headache said:
That's as long as my van!  Thanks!  I want similar(wide body stand up) so now I have another option to shop for when I have some money saved.  What did that set you back if you don't mind answering?

I got it for $23k, the guy wanted $26k but it needs work. Breaks, some other stuff and upgrades etc. I’m gonna pimp it out. There’s one like it for sale now in New York! Go for it! They hold their value and have a cult following. People love em.

LOL I'd love to but I don't have that kind of cash. I have to save for a derelict rig and slowly build it into what I want.

Headache said:
LOL I'd love to but I don't have that kind of cash.   I have to save for a derelict rig and slowly build it into what I want.

Go for it! I’m hookin this baby up, it’ll take months to make it perfect for me, but it’s gonna rock! Lemme know what u get!
Peace,
H

Headache said:
LOL I'd love to but I don't have that kind of cash.   I have to save for a derelict rig and slowly build it into what I want.

I can totally relate to this and it's the situation the family and I are in.  I'm just in the beginning phases of researching all of this, but when/if we are able to get something, it's definitely going to have to be a budget rig (i.e. cheap and then deal with fixing it up).

Take off your shoes, I think you stepped in something :D..nice find and enjoy your new ride.

I realize this thread is 7+ months old, but I was wondering how things are going in your Chinook?

Can you tell me what sort of mpg you're getting out of it and what the headroom / standing room is like?  Is it a V8 or a V10?

I recently found a couple of Chinook's I like.  One is a '98 and has 136,000 miles for $23,000, and the other is a '95 with 79,000 miles for $17,000.  
Both are side doors, which I don't mind at all.  I figured to remove the sofa and those two, huge chairs, replacing them with my own bed that folds into the wall, opening up a lot of space.  

The older model is loaded with 500W of solar, an inverter, backup camera, alarm, the works (too much, actually).  
The '98 is described as having been gone through and updated extensively.  

The owner of the '98 is claiming 18mpg, but I've read stories about how they really only reach the single-digit gas mileage ( 8 +/- ), so I'm curious what you, or other owners, are getting.  

Great looking rig!   :cool:

Believe it or not there were many different versions. I had one that was sort of a walk through side door version mounted to an early 70's Datson single wheel rear truck with no popup and only a table and bed across the back. It was a little wider and taller than an average van. With a manual transmission and 4 cylinder engine top speed was about 70MPH and it averaged around 18 to 20 miles per gallon. Had plenty of power below 50 and I used it to tow an aluminum car trailer with a light weight rally car and still got 16 miles per gallon at 55. Really liked it but condensation was a problem in cold humid climates and the fiberglass door and frame eventually sagged making it hard to get closed.

The ones I saw were both Ford E350's... Vehicles not known for great gas mileage.

I was wondering how the OP was liking the rig after having a few months to settle in...

I love it. I prefer diesel but you can’t argue with that layout. It is easy to get in and out of.

You made a great choice. You can park that anywhere.

Be sure to read Bryan Applebee’s Stealth Campimg Guide.