Jumping all in...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2p2ssk

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm in WA state and in the tail end of a divorce where everything has to be sold to take care of debts. Hopefully I'll have enough money left over to buy a van and get on the road. Rents are so outrageous here I can't afford to move anywhere but into a van. I've been thinking about this for a couple years as I went through the divorce process and have spent that time reading and watching as many things as I can to help me understand the process of doing your own build and getting on the road. I've got about a month before the house sells and the divorce is final so I'm packing, having barn sales, and tossing everything I want to keep in storage. I'm finding freedom in letting everything go so I can enjoy a new life with my dogs on the road. I have two large dogs and a rat terrier...the rat terrier fits anywhere but the other two are 130lbs and 80lbs, trying to design a van with maximum storage but also have maximum floor space for them to lounge in, they are both old and arthritic so I'll need to get a ramp for them or I'll become an elevator for their hinny! My back isn't too thrilled with that idea!

See you on the boards/road.

User Name K2P2SSK is a knitting instruction...knit 2, purl 2, slip slip knit.

Good luck with you new life adventure! This place is an excellent source of advice and knowledge.

The community is very supportive and helpful, really great people here.

I still have a couple of years to go and I am so grateful for what I have learned here so far.

k2p2ssk said:
Hi Folks, I'm in WA state and in the tail end of a divorce where everything has to be sold to take care of debts. Hopefully I'll have enough money left over to buy a van and get on the road. Rents are so outrageous here I can't afford to move anywhere but into a van. I've been thinking about this for a couple years as I went through the divorce process and have spent that time reading and watching as many things as I can to help me understand the process of doing your own build and getting on the road. I've got about a month before the house sells and the divorce is final so I'm packing, having barn sales, and tossing everything I want to keep in storage. I'm finding freedom in letting everything go so I can enjoy a new life with my dogs on the road. I have two large dogs and a rat terrier...the rat terrier fits anywhere but the other two are 130lbs and 80lbs, trying to design a van with maximum storage but also have maximum floor space for them to lounge in, they are both old and arthritic so I'll need to get a ramp for them or I'll become an elevator for their hinny! My back isn't too thrilled with that idea!

See you on the boards/road.

User Name K2P2SSK is a knitting instruction...knit 2, purl 2, slip slip knit.

You don't need a van, you need a mobile Kennel
                                                                           Good Luck
                                                                                             Poppopvegas

Get a full sized van. Yes you’ll be cramped for sometime with your 3 dogs, your stuff, their food, bedding and their ramp. But it is do able, it will just be tight for you.

Don’t know if you have the option for a very small storage unit or a friend or relative able to let you have a 4x4x6-8’ tall spot in a dry basement for some storage. Something like that could ease things while you learn what is necessary or not. Otherwise get rid of everything and remember Walmart, thrift store is just down the road to pickup things you need.

This is doable