jump starter pack question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
I have one of the older style heavy jump start packs just a rechargable battery and clamps with a handle lost the little ac charger
is it possible to just attach a battery tender to the clamps and re charge through those?

Attachments

• IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 10
the ones I used to have, yes that would work. just try it. you could charge it off a running car too. highdesertranger

Keep an eye on it. Charging it that way there is no over charge protections. Can also charge it thru that 12v receptacle. Again, no charge protections doing it that way.

wagoneer said:
is it possible to just attach a battery tender to the clamps and re charge through those?

I have the DeWalt unit pictured below. I have found that while it will charge thru the leads via my alternator, it will never get it fully charged, like it does with the internal charger. No matter if it's an 8 hour drive, it's not even close to a full charge. However, I have seen tow truck drivers leave theirs attached after jumping a car to recharge it, so all units may have different charging capabilities.

Another thing about this unit; don't plan on it jump starting a cold 7.3l diesel engine.  :rolleyes:  

Food for thought...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180301-100157.png
    Screenshot_20180301-100157.png
    901.5 KB · Views: 4
Most of the old style ones you just pop open the batt compartment and there it is, have at it.

Your charge source should provide all the "charge protection" needed.

Unfortunately most stock alternator setups do pretty poor job at charge regulation.

SchortBus said:
I have the DeWalt unit pictured below. I have found that while it will charge thru the leads via my alternator, it will never get it fully charged, like it does with the internal charger. No matter if it's an 8 hour drive, it's not even close to a full charge. However, I have seen tow truck drivers leave theirs attached after jumping a car to recharge it, so all units may have different charging capabilities.

Another thing about this unit; don't plan on it jump starting a cold 7.3l diesel engine.  :rolleyes:  

Food for thought...

what about a 6.9 inline cummins at room temp. (chuckle)

Latest posts