Join the Elks lodge if you can afford it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebringlovr

Reaction score
There are elks lodges everywhere and usually less then half what it cost at an rv park

Member eDJ had posted on the City of Denver and treatment of homeless thread recently about several of the fraternal organizations. If memory serves me correctly it was something like $70, however you have to be sponsored or nominated and voted on, you don't just walk in and sign up.

He said many of the Elks and Moose lodges had rv parking for their members.

It's another resource, yes. 

Some CVRL members objected to one of the points that had to be agreed to, Supreme Being.

If that bothers you then don't do it, if it doesn't then its a possible choice.

Here's a quote from a recent article about them, entitled "Elks, other fraternal groups face dwindling memberships" (no date)

"Ryan, a 38-year member of the Elks, had come to deliver an urgent message.
"You are here because we have got to increase membership. Good membership," bellowed Ryan, a top Elks official and former coach.
In front of him, two giant projection screens flashed a slide showing the Elks' downward trend. Membership stood at just a little more than 1 million. It was perilously close to what Ryan called "that line in the sand" when the group's charity and scholarships would suffer.
"We've got a problem," Ryan told the Exalted Rulers. "We lost another 20,000-plus members this year."
It is a plea being made at the annual meetings this year of every major fraternal organization - from the Elks to the Moose, Shriners, Masons and Eagles. Groups that once dominated the social landscape with their charitable works and secret rituals are struggling to stop more than two decades of declining membership rolls.
The Elks have lost 35 percent of their members since 1980, when it peaked at 1.6 million. There are about half as many Shriners and Masons today as 25 years ago. The Loyal Order of the Moose has 935,000 members, a third fewer than there were in 1980. And some of the smaller groups, such as Odd Fellows and Red Men, have all but faded from view.".   End of quote

What TWIH is  telling you is correct.   Most Lodges do ask if you believe in God.   Masons in particular.  The other lodges are more relaxed and may have bars in them as well as kitchens and a more open social concourse.   This would suit RV Travelers as the Lounge of those other Lodges may be open every night,  host games,  offer Big Screen TV (to watch sports etc),  and other past times.   Some of them my have a parking lot where a traveling member could stay overnight and have access to WIFI,  and shore power. (for a small fee to cover the electric)

They are in need of members as old members are passing away, and young people don't have much interest or understanding of what they represent. 

For these reasons a lot of the Lodge Facilities are beginning to shift to offering services to members that they hadn't formerly thought of.   Old men who just want to go to a more private Bar (as a Lodge would offer) and drink and smoke all evening have all but disappeared from the scene.  At one time that was the standard.  But
thinking about smoking in public places has changed as has heavy consumption of alcohol.   Lodge leadership
is trying to shift the image of "old drunks"  to an integrated population with a more thriving membership. 

You will need to visit some of these Lodges and inquire of becoming a member.  They may offer you the .25 cent tour.   Remember all Lodges aren't the same in terms of features and services.  An Elks Lodge in one town may be located in a "strip mall" where in another it may be an old massive building.

Technically, I'm still a Mason in that my dues are current, but I'm not active anymore. The meetings consisted of non-stop hand-wringing and complaining about money. The higher attributes of the organization were pushed to the side. If you do decide to join one of these organizations be aware that money issues are going to dominate any discussion. I got tired of taking one evening a month for an hour-long business meeting.

Yes, all of these types of Fraternal Organizations are hurting now days.  Young people just don't cotton to them for the same reasons you mentioned.  I'm not around the "Blue Lodge" as much more because of certain members wanting to Politic and move up to high offices,  drill the new members to get their ability to return any of the degrees, lectures, and charges perfectly.   I've heard  young members complain that it was than High School English Class.  (and then say,  "Is this all that you do around here")   That's almost as bad as hearing young people saying of those other lodges...."a bunch of old men drinking, playing cards, and talking about their young days in the military". 

But here's the thing.  These are now open to women and minorities although still dominated by "white men". 

The old blood is slowly shifting to the Cemetery and younger & middle aged people can find themselves welcome and their ideas have a chance to be heard.  This is especially important for rebuilding/relocating Lodges to where  "Traveling Members" & and Gyms in house would have a chance.  (more so than Bars with heavy drinkers  and bar maids pushing drinks to make tips)   But this ain't the 70's no more, and too many members have brought their own flask of liquor in only buying soft drinks for mixers and to go sit at a card table to play cards and drink.  I've seen members get tired of it and vote to establish exercise & work out rooms and build shower rooms in often unused rooms that are storing junk than hasn't been used in years.  And a lot of these Fraternal Lodges need a lot more of this.

But until this stuff begins to correct itself the infusion of new blood will be slow in coming.   Yet there are plenty of Lodges doing this now and serving as a model to others.  Many lodges have found closed Restaurants close to the high way that they have purchased and converted.  They may host 10 RV's a night on their Lot and pull in from $100 to $500 a night  (the Lodge may have nightly dinners prepared by volunteers,  they may have the bar open,  fund raising lotteries, etc to make this possible.  If there is a Gym a small fee to traveling Guest Members would also increase revenues. 

But for those who would belong to such Lodges,  they could be handy for those traveling the Country.

I joined the Elks this year. I have enjoyed the people I've met. The RV parks are a large part of why I joined, but I like the sense of community as well. They are a charitable org, so there will be requests for money for different areas. However, I volunteer some of my time, and that seems to be valued as much as any money I've given. Our dues are around $90/year, and a $10/year donation to the National is expected as well. The RV park has electric and water and a blue boy portable tank to use to get waste to the dump station onsite. Cost is $10/night. That may or may not be average for the rest of the lodges. Overflow boondocking is $5/night. It is a safe area with friendly folks.

EDIT: I'm female, for those who don't realize it. This was in answer to the question if females can join.

What is the original / real reason for their existence? I've never heard of any of these.

I believe the best way to describe the way the Elks started is to say it is for fellowship with like-minded folks. The charity acts came as the group first took care of their own, then their communities, then the larger focus of benevolence to the country as a whole.

shadowmoss said:
I joined the Elks this year.  I have enjoyed the people I've met.  The RV parks are a large part of why I joined, but I like the sense of community as well.  They are a charitable org, so there will be requests for money for different areas.  However, I volunteer some of my time, and that seems to be valued as much as any money I've given.  Our dues are around $90/year, and a $10/year donation to the National is expected as well.  The RV park has electric and water and a blue boy portable tank to use to get waste to the dump station onsite.  Cost is $10/night.  That may or may not be average for the rest of the lodges.  Overflow boondocking is $5/night.  It is a safe area with friendly folks.

EDIT:  I'm female, for those who don't realize it.  This was in answer to the question if females can join.

Female here too.  There's an Elks in my town here.  How do you join.  I don't know anybody.  If I go over there, will someone be able to sign me up?

John61CT said:
So old boys business networking

Well, there was (and is) that...but the actual history is much more varied and interesting.  Check out this article from the Detroit News.

Clubbing in days past: When fraternal societies ruled

John61CT said:
What is the original / real reason for their existence? I've never heard of any of these.

At their high point at the beginning of the 20th c., exoteric (mainstream, non-masonic) lodges basically functioned as social clubs and mutual relief societies (funeral benefits, pensioners' homes, etc).  Some had vocational roots.  Most were, ritually speaking, pro forma derivatives of Masonic lodge practice.

some factors in lodge decline (IMO):
  • mutual relief has been unnecessary/unfashionable since the New Deal
  • intentionally traditional groups like fraternal lodges tend to be segregated (gender, race, religion, whatever).  That doesn't appeal to younger folk who tend to be rather cosmopolitan in outlook
  • devolution of masonic culture into Good Old Boys' Clubs in many places.   There are lodges that do try to keep the old esoteric knowledge and practice;  ironically many of these are "irregular" and some do not consider themselves masons at all.  I am thinking here of BOTA, FLO, etc.
Note:  I am not a lodge member.   My focus as a doctoral student in transatlantic history was related to early (~1800) Prince Hall (black) masonry , specifically early pan-African allusion and lodge imagery.  Side interest in influence on Liberian independence and governance, etc.

I joined by looking up the local lodge online, and calling. I had to be a US Citizen who could state that I believe in God. The secretary that I talked to sponsored me. I did have the sister of my best friend who has been a member of her Elks lodge back in KY who was willing to be a reference, but I'm not sure that is necessary. I also had to state that I didn't have a criminal record. Naturalized citizens can also join.

In my lodge there are more female officers than male.

Elks actually started because when a bar singer from England came over just after the Civil War andhe found out the bars were closed on Sundays he got a group of performers together to perform for each other as a way to pass the day. As it got bigger, men from other professions were allowed in. The singer was a member of (something something) Buffaloes back in England, and being a theater person, the rites were set up to mimic the ones from his home lodge. It is now many years later, but those were the roots. Nothing sinister.

shadowmoss said:
I joined by looking up the local lodge online, and calling.  I had to be a US Citizen who could state that I believe in God.  The secretary that I talked to sponsored me.  I did have the sister of my best friend who has been a member of her Elks lodge back in KY who was willing to be a reference, but I'm not sure that is necessary.  I also had to state that I didn't have a criminal record.  Naturalized citizens can also join.

In my lodge there are more female officers than male.  

Elks actually started because when a bar singer from England came over just after the Civil War andhe  found out the bars were closed on Sundays he got a group of performers together to perform for each other as a way to pass the day.  As it got bigger, men from other professions were allowed in.  The singer was a member of (something something) Buffaloes back in England, and being a theater person, the rites were set up to mimic the ones from his home lodge.  It is now many years later, but those were the roots.  Nothing sinister.

Thanks for that info!  Very helpful!!  Do they let you join just for the benefits (camping) or do they insist you go to so many meetings?  I'm not interested in the social aspect.  I do remember seeing the Elk club (which is on a beautiful lake) in my town and saw a bunch of RVs there last winter.  I thought maybe they were there for an event.  I didn't think of them there camping (duh!).   The elks here is a BIG organization.

I wouldn't mind joining as the price is right, but I don't want to be obligated to do stuff I dont' want to do just so I can camp at their club grounds.  Do they mostly all have at least Boondocking at the different ones across the US?

frater secessus said:
  • intentionally traditional groups like fraternal lodges tend to be segregated (gender, race, religion, whatever).  That doesn't appeal to younger folk who tend to be rather cosmopolitan in outlook

I joined the Eastern Star in the South.  I'm not Christian nor believe in the Christian God but believe in a Supreme being.  They don't care who that being is.  We have at least one mixed race person in our lodge.  I've seen other races represented when I've been at bigger events. 

The other requirement is that a member of your family is a Mason in good standing.  While Masons are exclusively men, Eastern Star is for women and men, so not segregated there.

I agree that cosmopolitan types wouldn't enjoy it.  I'm thinking it is a dying organization.  The masons, maybe not so soon but at Eastern Star, the younger people aren't really interested.  I think the organization gave people stuff to do when the only alternative for week day entertainment was TV.  Now so many things compete for a person's time.  Also they don't allow any alcohol on lodge grounds.

The elks, however, have a bar and dances and dinners and a lot of events.  The elks club in our town is hopping with activity all the time.  This isn't the case with the Masons or Eastern Star.

Holy Cats!!  You gotta see this.  Here is a website with some (not all) Elks RV places and their prices.  In my neck of the woods, some are on donation.  Some are like 10 bucks with electric.  Some are more.  Some are dry camping.   Put in the state you're interested in staying in and see the opportunities.  If the price is say 10 a night (which appears to be an average in FL), that's 300 a month.  I think I'd want to do this in the winter in FL and opt for hunting lease or sportsman's club camping in points further north. 

WOW.  Some of these have WIFI too! Search your favorite state for camping and see what you find.  Here it is:

https://www.elks.org/lodges/LocalFacilities.cfm

It just gets BETTER AND BETTER.  Look at this.  The Moose club also has RV camping.  This pdf shows the ones that have it and the phone numbers.  It doesn't say what they have but you'd want to check it out anyway. 

http://www.mooseintl.org/portal/pdf/LodgesWithCamping.pdf

Like elks, they usually have a clubhouse, bar and a lot of activities.  I think with all this good camping that I would join both Elks and Moose!

wasanah2 said:
It just gets BETTER AND BETTER.  Look at this.  The Moose club also has RV camping.  This pdf shows the ones that have it and the phone numbers.  It doesn't say what they have but you'd want to check it out anyway. 

http://www.mooseintl.org/portal/pdf/LodgesWithCamping.pdf

Like elks, they usually have a clubhouse, bar and a lot of activities.  I think with all this good camping that I would join both Elks and Moose!

I'm about to join the Moose club, hopefully they will vote on me this week.  The cost of camping at a Moose runs around 10-15 dollars a night for electric/water and some have wifi.  The dry camping is free to whatever donation you want at most places.  I looked at the places where the camping is and there are several places near where I'm going to be traveling.  It costs around 90 bucks the first year and like 40 a year from then on out.  Check out the areas on the link and if they are places you want to go, you can be welcome on Moose Lodge property, no matter where it is! 

Some Moose Lodges have dinners, bars, dances, and usually stuff going on all the time.

wasanah2 said:
I'm about to join the Moose club, hopefully they will vote on me this week.  The cost of camping at a Moose runs around 10-15 dollars a night for electric/water and some have wifi.  The dry camping is free to whatever donation you want at most places.  I looked at the places where the camping is and there are several places near where I'm going to be traveling.  It costs around 90 bucks the first year and like 40 a year from then on out.  Check out the areas on the link and if they are places you want to go, you can be welcome on Moose Lodge property, no matter where it is! 

Some Moose Lodges have dinners, bars, dances, and usually stuff going on all the time.

In addition to what I said above, I found a blog of folks that travel from one Moose to another.  This would be a good way to know if it would fit your lifestyle or not.  It fits me, and the places they have camping (see the link above the one above) are places I want to go!  The blog is at:  http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/category/moose-stuff/