Jack recommendation for 1 ton van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not mention the farm/highlift jack on purpose. I carry one myself. in the hands of an inexperienced user they are very dangerous. if you haven't been taught how to use one, don't. they are not good for changing tires but have a hundred other uses. everyone please be safe when jacking up your vehicle. highdesertranger

I had a flat on a rear tire. The OEM scissor jack worked just fine, even with the van fully loaded.

The trouble with some bottle jacks is that they might not be short enough to fit under the jacking point when the tire is flat. Full tire, fine. Flat tire, not. That happened to me back in the '70s with a Chevy pickup. I had to dig a hole for the jack in a hard packed dirt/gravel road then drive forward until the jack was in place.

Yea, those work great, and they are easy to move due to being lightweight. $90 is about right for one of those. If I had the space thats the type of jack Id have.

I have had very bad experience with HF hydraulic jacks. I think a 3 ton for a floor jack were you are tempted to lift more , but a 1 1/2 ton is enough to change a tire.

ccbreder said:
I have had very bad experience with HF hydraulic jacks. I think a 3 ton for a floor jack were you are tempted to lift more , but a 1 1/2 ton is enough to change a tire.

Yea its not that often you should need to lift the whole back or front, hopefully not anyway haha.

Is the space a floor jack would take up worth it for something you might never use? We're talking emergency tire changes here, not major mechanical work.

MrNoodly said:
Is the space a floor jack would take up worth it for something you might never use? We're talking emergency tire changes here, not major mechanical work.

Right, we should clarify what we want jacks for. I think we need them for more than just one emergency tire change but less than major mechanical engine/transmission work--which few of us are going to do in the middle of nowhere.
1. I think some of us have been in situations where we need more than one tire off at a time (a front tire goes out, we have a spare in not that great condition, so we want to move a good tire from the rear onto the front and put the spare on the rear).
2. Minor mechanical work where we need to get under the vehicle (any of us might do something like changing the oil/filter or tie up a loose muffler--and some will do a great deal more...)
3. The vehicle is stuck (in mud or sand, off the road, over a barrier...)

PastTense said:
Right, we should clarify what we want jacks for. I think we need them for more than just one emergency tire change but less than major mechanical engine/transmission work--which few of us are going to do in the middle of nowhere.
1. I think some of us have been in situations where we need more than one tire off at a time (a front tire goes out, we have a spare in not that great condition, so we want to move a good tire from the rear onto the front and put the spare on the rear).
2. Minor mechanical work where we need to get under the vehicle (any of us might do something like changing the oil/filter or tie up a loose muffler--and some will do a great deal more...)
3. The vehicle is stuck (in mud or sand, off the road, over a barrier...)

1. Is the cost and the space consumed by a heavy duty jack less than the time and a few bucks it costs to have the tires rotated?

2. Unless one is of extreme girth, vans (especially 1-tons) are far enough off the ground to get under without jacking. That's how I was able to bolt things through the floor and run some wiring, and I have a gut.

3. In these situations, you need a winch or come-along. Or more judicious driving in the first place.

I would never pay for a harbor freight aluminum jack or any jack from them. if someone gave me one I would throw it in the aluminum scrap pile. highdesertranger

MrNoodly said:
1. Is the cost and the space consumed by a heavy duty jack less than the time and a few bucks it costs to have the tires rotated?

2. Unless one is of extreme girth, vans (especially 1-tons) are far enough off the ground to get under without jacking. That's how I was able to bolt things through the floor and run some wiring, and I have a gut.

3. In these situations, you need a winch or come-along. Or more judicious driving in the first place.

Number two works for me. My online name on most forums is "Bigdog" and it fits. ;-)
I need to lift any vehicle to get under it.

highdesertranger said:
I would never pay for a harbor freight aluminum jack or any jack from them. if someone gave me one I would throw it in the aluminum scrap pile. highdesertranger

I totaly agree. I want something other than a jack built as cheaply as possible in order to be sold as cheaply as possible when dealing with that kind of weight.

Regards
John

Seem's all retail jacks are Made in China, but my experience is HF do not work or not very well.

HF is fine for tools that you're going to use only one or twice.

not all jacks are made in china. just do a search, some are even made in the US. highdesertranger

My 2 Ton floor jack Barely lifted my almost empty G3500 to change tires, I do have the factory one but will source something Better.

PYSCHOWard said:
My 2 Ton floor jack Barely lifted my almost empty G3500 to change tires

Because an empty regular length 1-ton van weighs about 2.5 tons. Even a half ton van weighs over 2 tons.

The hands down best jack I have ever owned is an exhaust air bag jack. Small to store, and it will get you out of just about any situation, flats, mud, sand, moving logs & boulders. I even used mine to jack up the crushed roof of a 4x4 once after they had rolled it.

Those things actually work, eh? I've seen them on the Arb site but I've been sceptical about them. I didn't think the engine could produce enough pressure to really lift something.

Regards
John

I just ran across this local new article which showed the dangers with jacks working under vehicles:
" Authorities in eastern Iowa say a man working under a disabled minivan on the side of the road died after the vehicle fell on him.

Cedar Rapids television station KCRG reports that Linn County Sheriff’s deputies were called to the road, between Marion and Springville, around 8 p.m. Monday.

First responders arrived to find the minivan that had fallen on a man. He was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead."
http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/crime/2014/09/30/iowa-man-crushed-van-working/16469789/