Jack recommendation for 1 ton van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltTransBikes

Reaction score
2003 Dodge B3500 1 ton, 9600 lbs gvwr
Came without a service jack and I'm looking for a suitable replacement to take on the road. Recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

You will probably only jack one wheel at a time while on road. The easiest to handle is a screw type bottle shape with a long removable handle. Next would be what is called a scissor jack, also manual screw, with removable handle. After that would be a hydrolic bottle jack.(Beware of harbor freight). With any of these you will need some scraps of lumber to use as blocking to reach your axis. I also carry an old traffic sign (speed limit) to use on soft ground. It all tucks in a small space. I have used a scissor jack to get out of a stuck in sand problem, one side at a time.

I think you probably need more than one type jacking apparatus. For example take Patrick's recommendation of a hydraulic bottle jack: lots of us have been in a situation where there wasn't room for such a jack--too close to the ground. And while it is OK just to have one jack if you are simply replacing a tire, if you are underneath the vehicle you want something more--for example to have a pair of jack stands holding up the vehicle.

For maintenance and tire changing at home, I use a rolling floor jack and a air of jack stands.
Need to check the new van - but I do have a few different bottle jacks, and an old vertical screw jack that Dad has had ever since I can remember - THAT one will likely become the '88 E150's new jack.

for a 1 ton van a screw type jack is going to have a hard time. a floor jack while being the safest jack, they are heavy and take up a lot of space. with a floor jack you need a hard surface. try to maneuver one on dirt or sand is futile unless you remove the wheels and install a skid. so that leaves us with a hydraulic bottle jack. the right size bottle jack will lift your van easily, I would go with a 10 ton(20,000lbs). now a couple of things a bottle jack can be a life saver or a life ender. do not take lifting a vehicle lightly. this company makes accessories for bottle jacks to make them safer, I am not saying you half to buy from them but you can get some ideas especially the round tube adaptor and the sand base. http://bogertmanufacturing.com/inde...art&page=shop.browse&category_id=15&Itemid=23 . these can be made at home. one other thing I would not buy the cheapest bottle jack you can find, this means no harbor freight and no Chinese junk. get a quality jack buy like your life depends on it, it does. highdesertranger

I had a scissor jack snap on me a while back and I just have a minivan. I bit the bullet space-wise and went with a small rolling floor jack. I have a plywood board with me to go underneath it if I'm on dirt or sand.

They want a jack to take on the road. There are plenty of screw jacks as standard equipment on one ton trucks. I have a scissor jack rated for 3 tons and it is heavy, it has been lifting equipment for over 30 years with no problem. Go to a recycle yard and get a jack from a wrecked 1 ton some thing. If you want to travel with a garage, that is a different goat to skin. NEVER get under a vehicle supported by only any type of jack!

I carry a 60" high lift jack in addition to whatever Dodge provided as an OEM jack. The high lift is not stable enough to change a tire, but is useful for getting unstuck. Also doubles as an emergency winch, as I carry tow straps also.

If you use any jack for working under a car, you obviously don't value your life much. Carry a solid, stable support (such as a jack stand) and wheel chocks.

-- Spiff

Zil said:
They want a jack to take on the road.

Yup, looking mainly for a jack if needed for a tire change on the road. Thanks for all the recommendations though. I have a big floor jack at home and a bunch of heavy duty jackstands (which I'll probably travel with a couple of) but looking for basic emergency equipment. I will hit up a salvage yard to two looking to cannibalize a similar (or slightly heavier) vehicle for a jack.

The idea of a Handyman Jack is a good one too for getting unstuck (while of course acknowledging the potential and serious hazards of using one)

David said:
What about one of those off road style jacks that all the 4x4 guys use?

Like one of these?

http://t.harborfreight.com/42-inch-3-1-2-half-ton-farm-jack-6530.html

They are meant to pick up heavy loads on all types of terrain.

That's what we used to call a handyman jack. They are now called Hi-Lift
http://www.hi-lift.com/
Given HF's rep on some items, I don't think I'd want one from them even though they are about half the price.

Somewhere here is a thread on this type jack, with all the disclaimers and warnings about using one (RE: kickout and broken bones).They are great if used properly but probably not the best thing for changing out a flat on the side of a highway.

Yep, many years ago I tried using an old-school bumper jack to change a tire on a '71 Dodge Polara - it slipped off the jack - fortunately hurting only my pride.

A bottle jack under the frame is so much safer.

Some folks don't understand the concept of jack stands......

2cr58cn.jpg

23jlqqc.jpg

Last time I had to change some tires on the E150 cargo van, I bought the wrong jack stands - got the taller heavy duty type - too tall to fit under the frame. Ended up having to use cinder blocks and 2X6 wood. But I NEVER got under the van!
Now I have the correct height jack stands.

ccbreder said:
That is a nice looking jack. $60.

With the discount it was a steal, it works great and was free shipping, or you can pick it up.

With the lift on my truck it was hard to find something with the range needed, this took care of everything.

LeeRevell said:
Some folks don't understand the concept of jack stands......

2cr58cn.jpg

23jlqqc.jpg

Last time I had to change some tires on the E150 cargo van, I bought the wrong jack stands - got the taller heavy duty type - too tall to fit under the frame. Ended up having to use cinder blocks and 2X6 wood. But I NEVER got under the van!
Now I have the correct height jack stands.

I worked with a guy that did this kinda stuff. The jack gave out one day and the van lowered onto him. Luckily someone was nearby....the news interviewed him and his family, they made jokes about it. Probably still works on cars that way today...

I worked for a guy in Texas who once witnessed a guy getting squished because he had only one jack supporting the car. After that, whenever he hired someone new, he always told them they would be fired on the spot if he ever saw them making that same mistake.