I've got a rough plan . . .

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulu

Reaction score
hi all!
I don't know how I stumbled upon Bob's youtube channel several months back, but I did.
I've been hooked ever since, thoroughly enjoying a peek into the lifestyle that so many of you are living.
I've been inspired and think it's time for some adventure for this lady!!
I'm going to throw together a mini-van for now and just head out for 2 or 3 days at a time in the New England area this coming spring/summer (I'm from Boston).
and I'll see how that feels and then I'll just watch my future unfold!!  unlimited potential, endless opportunity!
I am 59yo and have worked full-time my entire adult life, raised two amazing super cool kids, and I'm joyous and content.
I guess I just have a case of "itchy feet"!!!
six months ago, I cut my hours to part-time, I'm calling it "semi-retirement" and it feels AMAZING!!
I love having all this extra time to do things I enjoy . . . I've hopped off the crazy train!!  YAY!!
life feels so chill, I'm so grateful.
anyway, I'm going to look at a mini-van tomorrow and I have so many conversion ideas from watching so many of Bob's videos (I love stuff like this, it will be just adorable!!).
I'm so excited!!!
I find Bob to be such an enjoyable, kind, humble man, I enjoy his essence . . . he is full of information and inspiration!!
I look forward to sharing myself here and enjoy getting to know some of you.

bye for now!
Lulu

Welcome Lulu to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome! I'm a fellow/former yankee, born and raised. Lived about 20min N. of the cloverleaf for 35yrs. We moved to the desert SW, and became snowbirds. The weather back home became too prohibitive. Minivans are easy conversions, you can find references for just about any make/model. Toss in a comfortable cot with padding, and you're off. Plenty to be explored, Pike West out to Colrain is beautiful for a weekend trip. NH will be chilly as you know, but maybe a weekend trip to Sebago to test the waters. You might want to consider researching "bug nets for van" as a critical piece of gear. DIY about $20. You will need them, so the mosquitos don't carry you away. Enjoy and good luck!

hi Whitewolf,
by cloverleaf you mean 93/95, that goes through Woburn?
that's where I am!!!
thanks for all the tips, camping in NE.
much appreciated!!
Lulu

Welcome, Lulu!
I am in the Albany, NY area, just 3 hrs west of you.  Working on my 6x12 vee nose trailer build (look up thread) and will be headed out for some weekend trips this summer with the wife and dog. Big goal for the summer is the gathering in July in the Smokies. Keep in touch!

Lulu said:
I look forward to sharing myself here and enjoy getting to know some of you.

bye for now!
Lulu

Hi Lulu,

I will be workcamping in Maine this summer.  If you are still on the forum, I will look you up and maybe we can meet up.  I have two wonderful grown kids as well.

Anne

Rolling BnB said:
Hi Lulu,

I will be workcamping in Maine this summer.  If you are still on the forum, I will look you up and maybe we can meet up.  I have two wonderful grown kids as well.

Anne

I'll be here Anne!!
maybe I'll come and stay at your campground!!
Lulu

I bought a van!!!  2005 Dodge Grand Caravan!!  I LOVE IT!!
it's white and it's in good shape!!
the seller was asking $2900, I brought it to my mechanic for $100 he checks it out thoroughly.
he said it needed all new tires and all new brakes.
so I offered the guy $1900 for it and it took it!!!
so I got the van, had the work done and I have a really good looking van that runs like a charm!!
I hired a carpenter and together we worked on the floor.
he took out second and third row seating and got rid of it all.
plywood floor, three cut-out access to the deep storage.
it came out perfectly!!! he did a great job and he loved the challenge!!
I've been working on the set up inside, just minimal, I'm having a blast decorating, making curtains, making it functional.
soooooo fun!!
I got a little suaoki portable generator, just a little thing, it should meet my needs.
I'm just so excited!!

I am 59yo, I live in the Northeast, I still work (part-time), and will have opportunities to get away for short trips in between my shifts at work.
I'm just going to get a taste for this life style, that's why I went small and lower budget with the mini-van.
if I love it and see myself retiring in 2 years and wanting more of this lifestyle, then I will make the investment in something I can stand up in and have more space.

I own my home mortgage-free, I have plenty of retirement investments, and a pension.
I don't "need" to do this because of financial hardship.
I "need" to do this because I'm feeling divinely nudged to live life outside of the 20 mile radius I've been doing life inside.

I want to feel life in its most simple splendor.
what do I truly "need"?
more will be revealed.

Lulu
:)

Welcome Lulu and happy for you with your travels ahead . I was born in gloucester but moved from the NE back in 96' seeking year round warm weather. I did many of night camping in mini van after I was done sleeping on the ground in a tent .

hi Swan!!
I'm about 20 miles south of Gloucester, 10 miles north of Boston!!!

"crazy train" ... I like that one. Hi Lulu, I've been vanning for just a few months. I have a GMC cargo van, and decided "not" to do any sort of permanent conversion, but to go as minimalist as possible.

I need a thick mattress because of a bad hip, so air mattresses and thin pads and cots are out. So I have an 8" 3-layer foam mattress bought on amazon. Most people get out a saw and 2x4s and build a bed support first thing. Instead, I had a lot of cardboard folder boxes, and just put a bunch down to support the mattress. Perfect height and plenty of storage space, but requires a flat floor. I spent 6-weeks in AZ, NM, and SoCal in february and march, and minimalism works fine.

http://gameonfantasysports.com/i/2017/12/archive-boxes-staples-document-687x687.jpg

Sounds like you got a great deal! Great "starter package". ;) I'm originally from New York, by the way. I will be back in the Finger Lakes region in August for a family reunion. Haven't been to NY since March of 2005.

a "starter package", yes!! I like that idea!!
I'm so grateful that this is all coming together for me.
and I look forward to my first adventure.
it's a little sissy one, to begin!! LOL
I reserved two nights at a campground in a State Park about 10 miles away.
my van is set up with what I think I need and what I think makes the most sense (everything I've learned at Youtube University!!).
but I have to actually use it in real time to know for sure.
and I'll be close by, just in case.
I will be in familiar area, just in case.
and it will be there at this little campsite where I will discover some things I am missing, what I have too much of, what functions may work better with a few tweaks.
and then, when I'm somewhere further away, unfamiliar, a little out of my comfort zone . . . I'll be in a better situation.
I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Congrats Lulu. How exciting!

I totally agree about not knowing for sure about things until you take them on a test run. I ended up rethinking my bed situation in my fish house because the one that came with it was really uncomfortable. It took sleeping on it overnight for me to realize that.

Happy travels,
Angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk