I've been visited by the police twice in three days...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Both times they were just checking to make sure I was OK. Today, the first thing the sheriff's deputy said was, "Boy am I glad to see you!" Someone had called in that there was a dead body in the car. He took my phone number so, next time, they can just call to make sure I'm not dead out here.

He also told me the BLM people almost never come out here, so I can probably stay as long as I like.

The do gooders strike again. If it's not a pet in a well ventilated vehicle, it is someone taking a nap. If they were really concerend, I would think they would at least try to talk to you before calling in reinforcements.

I was visited by the police last week, in a Walmart lot that didn’t want me but nobody came out to speak to me.

I wasn’t dressed, so spoke with them thru the door, but they were very cordial and pleasant. They obviously ran my plates, called me by my first name and had me give my last name and address. To confirm I was the owner, I believed.

Last fall I spent a night in the parking lot of a nature preserve, and was visited by a officer about midnight, just making sure everything was okay.

He stood in the lights of his squad car, so I could see he was legit, and insisted he had to visually see me and inside my little RV.

This because sometimes people are carjacked, I suspect, so I put my robe on, let him shine his flashlight to see me and the dog inside, then he wished me a good night and that was the end of it.

Always be cooperative with them that carry badges and guns, and have arrest powers, is my motto.

WanderingRose said:
Always be cooperative with them that carry badges and guns, and have arrest powers, is my motto.

Probably safest way to keep them from shooting you.

WanderingRose said:
I was visited by the police last week, in a Walmart lot that didn’t want me but nobody came out to speak to me.

I wasn’t dressed, so spoke with them thru the door...
When boondocking in parking lots "stealth" I sleep in clothing that I could wear into the establishment. If needed, I can pop out of my rig and say Hi, or dig out the registration. 

OTOH, in some states, it is illegal for cops to arrest you if you are barefoot in your pajamas, so I see how your strategy could work.
-crofter

WanderingRose said:
.... He stood in the lights of his squad car, so I could see he was legit, and insisted he had to visually see me and inside my little RV.... so I put my robe on, let him shine his flashlight to see me and the dog inside....
Without a warrant or cause, this sounds like an illegal search.
-crofter

Illegal behavior? that is at this point not known if it is or isn't. But could likely be answered by a civil rights lawyer should you want to consult one.

crofter said:
OTOH, in some states, it is illegal for cops to arrest you if you are barefoot in your pajamas
-crofter

I gotta hear more on where you found that info.....

crofter said:
-crofter

Careful, anything can be turned into a cause for a legal search. On a slow night, it might prompt a call for dogs and an emptying of all your stuff onto the road.
To the OP, just say'n if you aren't careful you might be calling a lawyer and unless you have the money/collateral you may want to consider being cooperative.

One's rights often never come into play if your polite. Always carry a camera that has a mic. Turn it on before you answer the knock. Your attorney will appreciate it.

Know the laws in the state you travel. Be polite and ask the officer for their advice. Don't be a pushover nor a know-it-all. If your afraid, tell the officer that, and tell them your requesting they call their shift supervisor out. (your right)

Just my experience and 2¢ worth.

crofter said:
-crofter

I didn’t take it that way at all, and he searched nothing, just shone his flashlight on me and inside for about 2 seconds to see that we were alone and okay.

It was a welfare check, which police do, and I thanked him for checking on me.

There have been occasions where RV’s have been hijacked and their owners killed, tho it fortunately doesn’t happen often you would never want to have yours be the last hands on a situation that was deadly.

Like the couple killed on Padre Island just this last winter, the alleged kidnapper stopped on the island but no background check done, which would have shown outstanding warrants.

I’d bet that practice changed quickly.

No safety without giving up freedom.

Just gotta figure out where on that continuum you are.

I don't trust Law Enforcement to have my best interests at heart. Pressures of their job is what they have at heart but can't hate the individuals, it's systemic...hate the game, not the player

I was boondocking a couple of miles outside Sisters OR, relaxing on my bed, when a Forest Service ranger pulled up. I had turned my head to see who it was and he said, "Oh, okay, you're alive. Just checking."

I replied, "Do you find a lot of dead people out here or something?"

He slumped and looked sad. "Unfortunately, yes."

Years ago, near Roseburg OR I was camped at a free BLM campground area but parked away from the weekend noise, backed into a secluded spot.

I had my side doors open and a ranger came up to check on me. With the doors open he could see I was alone and just said "Hi,how's it going?" and I said hi. Cordial encounter but I was put off a little when he asked me if the old Class B I was in belonged to me. I said, "Sure" and handed him my DL and registration. He also went to the back and checked my tag. No warrants, no illegal substances, so I had no concerns.

I was in my mid-50's and didn't think that I looked like a desperado. After he left, I did wonder if he asked every middle-aged RV'er he enccountered if what they were driving "belonged" to them. YMMV

Sounds like the LEO only observed what could be seen from outside of the vehicle. Not technically a search that would require a warrant. Protesting that might steer an encounter in an undesirable direction. LEO was making sure that you were okay and not under duress, and seeing if there was any other occupants.

If this location is so remote and BLM Rangers never go out there, who called law enforcement?

Twice, that I know of, in the last four years in Amargosa Valley, they have discovered a dead body in an abandoned vehicle on the side of the highway. In both incidents the body was in the trunk. Both vehicles had been parked for weeks. Lower slower Nevada.

What happens in Vegas sometimes ends up a ways outside of Vegas. j/k.

wayne49 said:
What happens in Vegas sometimes ends up a ways outside of Vegas.

Call a copyright attorney. Better be quick.

There is difference of being stopped on a public roadway and being on private property, parking lot.

I love how they never find a bogus reason to arrest you (NOT)

wayne49 said:
If this location is so remote and BLM Rangers never go out there, who called law enforcement?

It's not super remote. I'm in a single spot about a half mile from where most people camp. There have been one or two RVs in the main area about two days out of each week. It's close enough to a small town that locals come out here every once in a while. Plus, I've met at least one birder who apparently comes out almost every day.