Its hard to know what to say....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
Big thank you to Bob.
I'm Irish - living in almost the longitudinal center of Canada, I am so amazed to have come across this site.I was afraid I was the only person in the world who would like to live this way.
15yrs ago I sold my house in Ireland and bought, as an investment, a house in a beautiful little town in northern New Mexico. That was such a rewarding experience I decided to give something back to the universe. I went to Africa for a month to teach English. Which snowballed into starting a charity. The most rewarding experience of any one's life.
I spent 5 months every year for 7 years living in a 2 man tent in the bush in a remote part of Northern Tanzania with a tribe of Maasai Warriors. Needless to say I had very few possessions there. I built a school, fed the kids, paid the teachers wages, held medical clinics. etc.etc. long story.
The other 7 months I spent fundraising in my Taxi in Ireland. While also raising my kids.
I worked nights 7 nights a week for 7 months for 5 years.
Recession hit, Ireland went out of business....  Very long story..............
BUT now I know I can live in a very small space.

I came to Canada 4 yrs ago to visit my daughter and look after my two grand children.
A couple of years ago I met and married a Canadian - super guy.
I had bought a 1995, Geo Metro, 3 cylinder, 1 liter, small car. It has taken me many places and I have often slept in it just with the seat reclined. The head gasket went - I managed to do most of the work myself - as it interests me. With help from Imperial beach dad on YouTube. That's how I fell upon your site.
Now using some of the tips from you guys. I am customizing it so I can lie down to sleep. That'll be another long story.
The new thing I did that I hadn't seen before: I have taken the back seat cushion out, so that the back of the seat can lie flat forward. But I left the cover of the cushion there replacing the cushion is my mattress and sleeping bag. So it still looks like a back seat.

Anyway. I must go to Algodones for Glasses and Dental. I'm super excited to hear about all the camp sites. I don't know yet if I will make it to the RTR.
I am going via the house that I dearly love in New Mexico. To see what awaits me there - as this will be about the 7th time I have rented it to someone who has skipped town without paying. Several of them also stripped it completely bare of all furniture and fittings. So SAD. In fact I even left some friends stay there for free to look after it as they were in financial difficulty- they also wrecked the furniture and helped themselves to furniture when they left.  So much for the investment!
You will see anyway from that - I am a positive person. Looking forward to seeing some of you guys on the road. Wonderful husband is staying home to work. I will have to gently work on him to get him used to the idea of full time RVing.
I'm driving a red Geo with a 6month old soon going to be large dog.
I don't know what else to say - I could go on and on and on.
Thank you for all your help n hope.
Cheers Estelle.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Estelle! What an interesting introductory post! :) Hope all goes well on your trip to New Mexico and that you can make it to the RTR.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Wow Estelle! That is quite a story! Welcome!

I also fell in love with northern New Mexico.  Taos to be exact.  I stayed in one of the Earthships there.  Some day that is where I am going to live.  Right now, I'm hanging out in Lake Havasu, but Taos keeps calling my name and tugging at my heart.

I'm sorry to read that people didn't respect your generosity.

I wish you peace on your travels.

Gypsy P.

I'm driving a red Geo with a 6month old soon going to be large dog.
I don't know what else to say - I could go on and on and on.
Thank you for all your help n hope.
Cheers Estelle.

Welcome, Estelle! What an interesting life you have led, and what an interesting person it has made you! I have been a renter in the states for a long time, and landlords have always been astonished that I didn't wreck the place and that I left it spotless. I guess good renters are hard to find! I'm so sorry yours have caused you so much grief. I am still stuck (without a vehicle) in a house, but longing to get out there ASAP. Don't know if I'll get to RTR, but if I do, and you do, I hope to meet you and your positive outlook! Happy trails, wherever they take you.