It's ALIVE! Or why are life lessons such a PITA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz

Reaction score
This is why I prototype my projects.

I've slowly been reading and learning and collecting gear for my solar projects. Project #1 is now complete except for an extra cable run for setting the panel outside away from my rig. Wasted 1/2 a dozen MC4 connectors but it works now.

40watt poly crystalime panel to cheap Chinese CC to a 40Ah AGM. This is a backup emergency power for my CPAP. with this panel and CC I can also charge my starters, and have a portable charger for 18v power tools.

The painful life lessons. Building MC4 connectors while dislexc is a nighrmare! But it,s done. Turns out the little metal tubes are NOT interchangable. argh! I wasted everal tak8ng them apart and lost a few inches of wire making extra stripped ends.

MC4 connectors all the way and inline fuses in and out of the charger. 10 AWG everything.currently pulling 13.4 volts.
dc100625701c32b91792fa88e54b1279.jpg
e0c50453cab9e9bc8f57cf86115a4e46.jpg

At least you are doing it. I'm still at that 'stuck on stupid phase'.

Rob

More and more every day. This mini system means I don't have to replace my starters NOW! I can leave them be and charhe them while I sit. It also means that I can run my medical equipment on a solar geni of it's own. I can travel away from my rig with a complete system that I can litteraly carry where I need it.

Extra bonus is I can it and my tools and 12v in vehicle charger to a work site and have unlimited power to charge batteries ... within reason. I even have a 300watt PSW inverter that I can connect. And it will charge my cell and other small USB devices while charging my battery.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gunny said:
At least you are doing it. I'm still at that 'stuck on stupid phase'.

Rob

Don't worry...you're not the only one! I have my system but stressing over just how to install it...like how to I run the wires from the panels on the roof to the battery compartment!

DuneElliot said:
Don't worry...you're not the only one! I have my system but stressing over just how to install it...like how to I run the wires from the panels on the roof to the battery compartment!

One good way is to use a roof combiner box, like this one:

http://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-kit/combiner-boxes/

Or you could make a homemade one.  Either way, it means you only need to drill one hole in your roof to run one wire inside.

One always hopes to learn life's lessons vicariously, through someone else's problems.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
One good way is to use a roof combiner box, like this one:

http://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-kit/combiner-boxes/

Or you could make a homemade one.  Either way, it means you only need to drill one hole in your roof to run one wire inside.

Thanks. I'm still really wary of drilling any holes in my roof...I just resealed it, bugs and all!!!

This seems like a good option

The portable charger works well on the starter batteries and they have been charging all afternoon while I worked on the bus.

I tried using the USB ports on the charger for a while but they pretty clearly consumed more energy than was being produced. Not clear if they were draining the starter batteries or just not charging them but clearly not a good option.

As far as putting holes in the roof once you've done it by accident doing it on purpose is nothing. Just be prepared for what it takes to seal it all up. Butyl tape and or 3M 5200 Marine sealant are magical things. I put 5 holes in the roof by accident. Drove under a sign and ripped holes in the aluminum and the fiber glass. The aluminum was patched with sheet metal, pop rivets and marine sealant. To get the Maxxair fan installed we removed the escape hatch and that left a 25x25 inch hole in the roof. A piece of sheet metal with a 14x14 hole for the vent. Rivets and lots of 5200 and it's water tight.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
Rivets and lots of 5200 and it's water tight.

Watertight when it's new is one thing.  The question is, will it still be watertight a couple of years and a few thousand potholes from now?  Only time will tell . . .

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Watertight when it's new is one thing.  The question is, will it still be watertight a couple of years and a few thousand potholes from now?  Only time will tell . . .
3M 5200 is.designed for use below the water line of boats. As I understand it this is the go to calk for boaters, skoolie converters, and RV mechanics. The self leveling stuff is a close second.

I am comfortable with my decision to use it.and recomending it.

Optimistic Paranoid said:

Might be a good idea to reseal after awhile. It's normal procedure for RVs and such.

jimindenver said:
Might be a good idea to reseal after awhile. It's normal procedure for RVs and such.

Oh, of course! Prolly gonna reseal everything before I hit the road even ... just to be on the safe side.

I still want to redo the fiberglass that got smashed, it's patched now but it can wait until I'm done with the interior. It's water tight now. Priorities!

Real life testing of mini PV system lasted four full nights of battery powered CPAP use. Now charging in the sun kicking 13.+ volts. Battery holding steady a 13.7v. Feeling much more confident and connecting the big system up.

ARGH!

Yesterday I left the system in the sun all day, repositioning the panel several times to get good exposure. I was getting 13.0v almost all day from 7AM to 7PM. Felt pretty good about it.

I brought everything inside and figured I would check the battery to see how it was doing so I hooked up the Battery Tender and it started charging. Now, I figured that would happen as it tested the battery to figure out it's charge state so I went about my evening. 2 hours later still charging. "OK" I thought, maybe it's just cycling through the bulk stage and would register the max voltage then drop to float/storage. 2 hours later ... still charging. It was time for bed so I don't know how long it took but the battery if finally on float this morning.

What they hell am I missing?

The battery was pretty much depleted. 4 days of use without a charge.

I'm starting to wonder if 1)the CC will charge my AGM correctly 2)if my panel is under power to restore charge when cycled this low.

I may rerun the experiment with just one nights use with the CPAP and then charge with solar to see if it recharges fully from that. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Was I just impatient and maybe should have let it charge again today? I know I've seen charts that show charge rates and the voltages required buut can't sem to find them now.

So frustrated ... but learning. Yup. Learning is better than success. Learning means future success and knowledge can never be taken away.

Yup ... that's what I keep telling myself between cursing fits.

GotSmart said:
Check connections and fuses.

I'll double check this evening, it's all put away for the moment. I'm clearing out for the realtor photos. Was supposed to be today but I'm not ready yet. Story of my life.

For what it's worth when I pulled the + connection from the panel (always remove + first to disengage the current from the panel to the CC) the CC still registered a charge from the battery. The only way it could detect that is if the connections from the battery to the CC were good. While charging yesterday it registered the panel and when + was disconnected it stopped registering the panel.

I'm thinking that the panel might take longer than a day to fully charge after extended use OR the CC won't work fully with the battery, AGM. Looks like there is some way to switch from FLA/SLA to gel but not a setting specifically for AGM.

Can someone help out with some basic voltages to look for during the charge cycle that might indicate where it is and when it is actually fully charged? I have a multi meter and I've been learning more about how to work it but I can't find my notes in the mess that is cleaning out my house.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
I'll double check this evening, it's all put away for the moment. I'm clearing out for the realtor photos. Was supposed to be today but I'm not ready yet. Story of my life.

For what it's worth when I pulled the + connection from the panel (always remove + first to disengage the current from the panel to the CC) the CC still registered a charge from the battery. The only way it could detect that is if the connections from the battery to the CC were good. While charging yesterday it registered the panel and when + was disconnected it stopped registering the panel.

There is a problrm with some connections.  MC4 is not ment to be used as a plug.