Itasca Sunstar-need opinions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasVanGuy

Reaction score
I need opinions on the Itasca Sunstar. It was made 2002-2004. It has a VW chassis and V6. Reviews say it gets 14-18 mpg. I'm thinking more around 14. From what I have read, VW dealerships don't want to service the powertrain because it is an RV. RV dealerships don't want to deal with it because all they work on is GM/Ford. Also, no tire manufacturer makes the same front tires as the OEM specification. 

There is one available in my area. 51k miles. I like the layout of the interior. I like the mpg. NADA book is $12k. They are asking $19k which would be fair for a 22ft RV that can get serviced anywhere. With the difficulties I wouldn't pay $19k.

Does NADA reflect RV values in your opinion?
With the difficulties mentioned, should I even pursue this RV?

Thanks for any input.

I have no idea about NADA. but I would stay away. 1st I don't think VW's are practically reliable. 2nd it's FWD, yuck. highdesertranger

IMHO NADA tends to be high on younger RVs, low on older ones. The switch is around 5 years.

You may like it, but don`t buy it. getting parts for it is extremely difficult, nobody wants to work on it, and as you said, even finding tires for it is difficult.

highdesertranger said:
 I don't think VW's are practically reliable. 

I have a friend who owns an automotive shop in Santa Cruz, and his most common advice to friends and customers is "Never buy a car that starts with the letter V".   :p

Those are the ones that show up at the shop the most often.

BigT said:
I have a friend who owns an automotive shop in Santa Cruz, and his most common advice to friends and customers is "Never buy a car that starts with the letter V".   :p

Those are the ones that show up at the shop the most often.

Could that be because Santa Cruz is where old Beetles and Volvos go to die?  LOL  

I have a Rialta that I love.  I've only put 5k on it but so far, so good.