It is really happening!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilRedWagon

Reaction score
Yup, I will be hitting the road just after Christmas. First stop Ehrenburg. I am terrified. Not quite old enough to retire so I will have to find work to survive. I have a very small emergency fund, no debt, and someplace to go if I have to. Add another older female to the ranks. Pep talks are welcome!

Congratulations, wishing you all the best:)

LilRedWagon said:
Yup, I will be hitting the road just after Christmas. First stop Ehrenburg. I am terrified. Not quite old enough to retire so I will have to find work to survive. I have a very small emergency fund, no debt, and someplace to go if I have to. Add another older female to the ranks. Pep talks are welcome!

Congrats! I am right in that age bracket too, but I am on disability so  I do get something that can help each month. Still I think there is always the fear of the unknown. I have never boondocked and I will be heading towards the RTR.  I think once we get out there and meet people some of that fear will go away. I am really excited about this new adventure and I hope to meet you in the near future. 

Caryn

good for you LilRedWagon you to Caryn, congrats to both of you. see you at RTR. highdesertranger

Both LilRedWagon and Caryn, you are braver than you know.
My hat is off to you both, for doing what you want, and figuring it out as you go.
Congratulations!!!!!!
See you both at the RTR!
Sharon

Gypsysoul said:
Congrats! I am right in that age bracket too, but I am on disability so  I do get something that can help each month. Still I think there is always the fear of the unknown. I have never boondocked and I will be heading towards the RTR.  I think once we get out there and meet people some of that fear will go away. I am really excited about this new adventure and I hope to meet you in the near future. 

Caryn

Glad to know I will be in good company Caryn. I was never fearfully when I was younger and have always had wandering feet. I am choosing this lifestyle and will make do-learn as I go. Once I am around others of "my tribe" I will be fine. The first step is always the hardest.

Gen

LilRedWagon
Welcome to the forum. I leave for the Q on the first too, it will be my first RTR. I may have boondocked, even have my trailer set up for it but that doesn't mean the transition isn't scaring the beejeebers outta me. Luckily I know that there will be those there to help and explain as I go, I've seen it here.

highdesertranger said:
good for you LilRedWagon you to Caryn,  congrats to both of you.  see you at RTR.  highdesertranger

You folks will really learn and enjoy RTR. Great, fun AND very helpful folks. Last year i was a new kid. Wouldnt miss it. Dont forget your bucket.

jimindenver said:
LilRedWagon
Welcome to the forum. I leave for the Q on the first too, it will be my first RTR. I may have boondocked, even have my trailer set up for it but that doesn't mean the transition isn't scaring the beejeebers outta me. Luckily I know that there will be those there to help and explain as I go, I've seen it here.

dont be scared Jim. U will be living large with a trailer. I just had a pickup and a cooler for beer and had a blast. Also got a portable deer blind and bucket so i was good. Bring water if you dont drink beer.

timotea said:
dont be scared Jim. U will be living large with a trailer. I just had a pickup and a cooler for beer and had a blast. Also got a portable deer blind and bucket so i was good. Bring water if you dont drink beer.

Oh i did hava a popup tent, chairs table coleman stove, lantern, containers for food and pots, coffee pot. Basic camp stuff, Bring extra water jugs. stores only few miles away so no biggie. What is a BEEJEEBER? See you there.

Welcome and yayyyyyy! I'm hoping to be on the road by Summer, earlier if everything comes together. I'm also not old enough to retire but I'll figure a way to make money one the road and I can't wait for my new lifestyle.

I wish you the best and hope to see you on the road soon.

Trimming down to fit into my car is proving to be a challenge. I foresee donating lots of clothes in the near future. No one could call me a clothes horse, but  there are so many other essentials(plus a cat!) We will find out how we I have planned in the coming days.
I am so excited at the thought of meeting everyone. I don't know what I would have done without all of you sharing what has and hasn't worked for you, Bob's videos, and just the overall welcoming feeling here. You are a light in a dark and scary world!

Gen

I've been selling everything I own for the past couple of months and now that most of the big furniture is gone I'm seriously at the point of donating or trashing everything else. It's amazing how much little things we collect and it's not worth the effort to sell. I hear you about trying to get down to all your possessions fitting in a vehicle. I don't know how I'm going to do it either but we'll figure it out. hahaha Fortunately my sister has some space set aside for me in her storage where I'm going to be able to keep a couple bins worth of stuff that I can't get rid of yet but the rest has to go.....and now because it's holding me up. lol

btw don't forget the free tarp. that is a tarp that is put out if you have stuff that you don't want/use and think someone would, put it on the free tarp. a hint though only use the tarp for useful things not junk and at the end of RTR if no one has taken your stuff please take it with you. tools are a very popular item. also kitchen utensils, maps, guide books seem to move pretty well. highdesertranger

Welcome Little red Wagon, it'll be my first RTR as well, though I have too much debt to hit the road for real at the moment

Congrats LilRed & Caryn - Best of luck & hope to see you there.

I've been getting the same cold feet about the RTR, but it's on my calendar unless something terrible happens in the next 30 days.

I'm not sure what beejeebers are, but he scared them all off, so it's all good.

I to, will be staring out and joining the lifestyle within the next few months. I have to inspect the low milage rv that I am picking up in January, tires, belts,hoses etc. And I have to give notice at my apartment and I can't wait to hit the road!

Beejebbers, lets just say keep your bucket handy. ;)

I am in the final stretch now with 10 days to go. I hope to bring the trailer home one more time for the final packing so I can get up, shower and leave early on the first.

jimindenver said:
Beejebbers, lets just say keep your bucket handy. ;)

I am in the final stretch now with 10 days to go. I hope to bring the trailer home one more time for the final packing so I can get up, shower and leave early on the first.

I looks like I will be one day ahead of you jimindenver. I have to swing through ABQ to see some friends along tthe way.

Gen

I was thinking of stopping there for some solar if I can find the number.