Is this Trailer better, or is it all Hype

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrvbob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.runaboutcampers.com/how-wee-are-built

This is a 3-Part question:
So I'm researching these trailers and this page makes them sound like they are just astoundingly well made! Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it to pass my own judgment--so I'm turning to the experts--you all.

1) Is this an especially well-made trailer or is it hype?

You can get a standard 5x7 trailer for about $1600-$1800, these are $4000 but they are 5.5 feet tall, V-nose and many extras. Most important they have 3 windows and are insulated. 

Obviously, I could put in the windows and insulation for much less, but for someone without the time or skills to do it themselves, it seems like a decent deal for a move-in ready home?

2) What do you think, is it way too much for what you get? 

3) If you did buy it, how would you move into it and make it a home for cheap?

I was giving them a serious look, but couldn't find one tall enough to stand up in, so ruled them out. But they look very well built.

They're a couple of hours from our place in FL, so we may go over and take a look once we're back down there, maybe they'd do a custom height.

Just emailed them about the height question, will share the answer when I get one.

I think it is a 2 part question. A is it built better? Answer is possibly IF it addresses problems that are inherent in lesser made trailers. It could be built like a tank but that only matters if you NEED it to be built that way to last. B is it worth having it built out? Now there I can see a value in as you said for those without the skill or time to do it them selves. You do have to live with what they decided as in how many lights and outlets, etc. Building it out yourself means you get to decide and have the wiring under the paneling. I think that any cargo trailer could be enhanced and built out for less but is the difference in price after materials worth the labor and time to do so.

Just heard back from them, I'd asked about getting one taller than 5'5":

Hi there thank you so much for inquiring and I truthfully apologize for not having that displayed on my website but I would be more than happy to make it the height  you would like.  my number is 352-454-8210 please call me so I can explain the options.

I like how responsive they are.

Just for reference, I'm right at about $4000 spent on mine right now, and plan on about another $1500 to complete solar and add a 12 volt fridge. Looking at the pictures it appears that the trailer frame is well built, but as Jim mentioned, is that something someone needs? Maybe, maybe not, depending upon how it's used. The axle, springs, tires etc are no good, but no better than what any quality manufacture would use, and in fact match what is on my Carry On trailer. For someone who for whatever reason can't build their own, I wouldn't call it a great deal, but it's not a bad deal either. Just my 2 cents.

masterplumber said:
Just for reference, I'm right at about $4000 spent on mine right now, and plan on about another $1500 to complete solar and add a 12 volt fridge. Looking at the pictures it appears that the trailer frame is well built, but as Jim mentioned, is that something someone needs? Maybe, maybe not, depending upon how it's used. The axle, springs, tires etc are no good, but no better than what any quality manufacture would use, and in fact match what is on my Carry On trailer. For someone who for whatever reason can't build their own, I wouldn't call it a great deal, but it's not a bad deal either. Just my 2 cents.

That's where I'm at, I have the skills and my head says I can still do things like that; but my reality is that I just got home from the grocery shopping and I'm having to ice my leg so I can walk the rest of the day.

Some of the pictures on their site show they use the cheapest Styrofoam for insulation. When that type catches fire in melts and burns. They probably get away with using it as the trailer is not designed as a living space. They don't seem to bother to fit it well . At least one piece of foam is much smaller than the cavity that it is in, (their home page 4th pic from the bottom). The heavy frame may be nice, but like others said, did your old trailer fall apart on you when you went off road?
They say that they can build it taller, but what would that extra foot cost? So now it is not $2k trailer vs a $4k trailer. It is 2k vs 4.5 or 5k.
I don't see the value.
For people who can not build their own, how are they going to build a bed, kitchen, bathroom, and electrical etc? Those people would probably be better off in a well made regular travel trailer or toy hauler. If you can build all the things to make it livable, you should be able to do the insulation, paneling, and put in a few windows.

I had not seen that make or model of trailer...they look well made to me...especially the full tubing roof bows and the solid one-piece roof. Looks very well built.

I really like the 'Zombie Hunter'...especially the flip-up rear door...very cool...

I imagine a scene in a zombie movie where that thing gets dragged in to the final battle scene by a matching Zombie Hummer and 10 well armed tactical zombie-killers jump out after that door flips up!

But I digress...

:p

DannyB1954 said:
Some of the pictures on their site show they use the cheapest Styrofoam for insulation. When that type catches fire in melts and burns....

...If you can build all the things to make it livable, you should be able to do the insulation, paneling, and put in a few windows.

Most of this type of insulation should have a fire-barrier of some type in front of it..and the metal or vinyl interior wall does that job.

When I bought a cargo trailer and began stripping out the interior paneling, fixing all the wiring, installing windows and insulation, and then re-installing all the interior paneling, I kept thinking wow...I wish I had ordered it already insulated. It was a lot of work.

If I had it to over again, I think I would order it with windows and insulation already installed.

These turn-key trailers look like a good starting point, but yeah, one might wonder if there were compromises made during the manufacturing process.

there are several things about the construction I like. I really like the 3 tubing tongue, the square tubing for the wall studs, and the double tubing for the spring mounts.

I won't go over what others have pointed out. one thing I really dislike is the squared corners on the doors and access hatches (Stress fractures). also the 15 inch wheels. 16's would be a big step up. highdesertranger

I went in and talked to him today and I was very impressed. These look like the very best option for people with little skills or money. I'm going back tomorrow to shoot a video and I'll post it soon. The website wasn't very clear to me and I'll have all the facts tomorrow.

It must be a miracle, I've lived in a vehicle with cheap white styrofoam with no covering on it for over 12 years and somehow lived through it. IMPOSSIBLE!

Looking forward to that video, Bob. After reading Gypsydogs cargo trailer saga/debacle, it's exciting to think there's a well made affordable alternative.

Bob, are you thinking about adding a trailer to your Savanna van as a towable living room, or maybe picking them up as a sponsor? It would be cool to see these trailers in person, so to speak.

I guess you are already in Florida, hopefully your situation with your mom being in poor health will be time well spent.

Overall , it seems to be a good starting point for a build.
Maybe they will do some upgrades like HDR mentioned on a special order basis.
We could be a good resource for them too if they wanted to listen.....

I follow them on my FB page. Any time someone asks about a custom size, etc., they usually say to bring it! Also, I love the Zombie Hunter as someone mentioned. Definitely built better than the cargo trailers we have for sale locally, they are really crap though. Standard RVs, with a handful of exceptions will not hold up and have so many things that go wrong and cost a bundle.

I like the idea of customizing to suit me. "Less is more" is truly where I want to go with this. All the fancy systems on RVs, even the not fancy cost big bucks to repair/replace. I won't have the money for that on down the road.

Personally, I thought the construction looked solid and that the price just wasn't that bad at all. They are attractive, I know that shouldn't be a priority, but when it is your home............ Would look great with my Durango too!

I'm thrilled Bob is taking a look at these!

It says in their site solid roof but the picture shows folded seams. One solid seamless roof would be better I would think. What have they done with attaching screw holes in terms of expansion and contraction of metal covering? How are they sealing roof and side wall thin metal to shark cage frame? Thin metal expands and contracts much especially the folded seams more than the thick metal frame resulting in warping and stress cracking and loose seams that results in leaks. How is the floor sealed and attached to the frame? Does the side wall extend slightly past the bottom of the frame? It should to make water drip or does it have a drip rail at the bottom of the wall? How are the screws sealed? Are all frame joints completely welded ( all four sides) and how far apart are skip welds if employed? Sorry to be so picky but a truely quality build would cost twice what they are asking. But these are things I would consider if custom building one for myself. This is a good buy in my opinion for the materials used and the design but how well it is put together is still the big concern.