Is there something like Airbnb for camping?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free2enjoy

Reaction score
Just curious if there's something like Airbnb for finding places to park the rig for a night or three at someone's home in order to have a safe place, electric (15/20A) and fresh water.

Thanks, Andrew

I have heard of Harvest Hosts (mostly vineyards and such that offer spaces to travelers
https://harvesthosts.com/

You do have to join group, AND be completely, self contained. It is also suggested that you purchase something from the host as a thank you. In my case, buying a nice bottle of wine would be a win/win :)

free2enjoy said:
Great info, thanks!!

actually, the Harvest Hosts do not supply water or hook up of any kind, so am realizing that it does not really answer your query.

tav-2020 said:
actually, the Harvest Hosts do not supply water or hook up of any kind, so am realizing that it does not really answer your query.

No worries....still an interesting idea!  :)

Maybe even the couchsurfing website might allow parking instead of sleeping on their couch : )

Boondockers Welcome is what you are looking for...it is a membership group and has a yearly fee, although I don't believe it is much. It is often other RVers who have a driveway or property they are willing to let people stay on for a few days.

DuneElliot said:
Boondockers Welcome is what you are looking for...it is a membership group and has a yearly fee, although I don't believe it is much. It is often other RVers who have a driveway or property they are willing to let people stay on for a few days.

That looks like a great site!

Here's the membership page....$30/year....

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/become-a-guest/

$30/year sounds like a screaming deal if you only use it a few times (with safety, not using gas riding around, etc...) JUST so long as you do not have to d around with the landlords every stop and every day. This is really a very cool thing, conceptually anyway :D

breeze said:
$30/year sounds like a screaming deal if you only use it a few times (with safety, not using gas riding around, etc...) JUST so long as you do not have to d around with the landlords every stop and every day. This is really a very cool thing, conceptually anyway :D

Agreed. I was referring to the costs for camping overnight. I would probably not be able to afford them unless I get lucky and figure out a way to make decent money, but since I sold my business and moved back to America, that has not happened. It will be stealth camping for me.

GeorgiePorgie said:
Agreed. I was referring to the costs for camping overnight. I would probably not be able to afford them unless I get lucky and figure out a way to make decent money, but since I sold my business and moved back to America, that has not happened. It will be stealth camping for me.

Yeah, it's hard for everyone no matter what, and you are right. "Conceptually", I thought it was a good idea; but realistically, Stealth may be the best thing going if you have got a good system down. Landlords and governments feed off of the weak and weary for breakfast.

I am a member of Boondockers Welcome.  I have found it to be an amazing resource.  I, once, went across the country using only  Boondockers. I met some amazing people, usually have had an electric hookup and access to water.  I have hosted many international visitors to our country and have enjoyed getting to know them, and made some good friends in the process.  The fee is once a year, no cost to stay at a host site.  The cost of one nights stay in a RV park versus numerous free stays all year.  I think it is the best deal going on the internet.  I am a woman, usually traveling alone, who enjoys the relative safety of a families backyard to a Walmart parking lot, lol.  It has worked out perfectly for me, safe travels everyone.

Has anyone stayed at Harvesthosts???  

I used to ranch and think it would be fun to visit a big place again.

Are they only interested in hosting the big RVs or do they welcome vans? :huh:  

My van is technically self contained as I have a bucket, but the bucket system may be politically incorrect for some, even though it is great for me. (Even the pricey and bulky Natures Head is the bucket system in an elaborate package)       ~crofter

Hello again I am answering my own question about boondockerswelcome.com and are vans welcome there. From their sign up page - 

What if I carry a portable or composting toilet? Will that qualify me for guest privileges?

Maybe. We may allow it, but you MUST contact us before joining. We'll determine eligibility based on other factors as well. (A mattress and a bucket in the back of a van or car won't cut it). Use the "Contact Us" link to send us a full description and photos of your set up.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/faq/membership/#what-does-self-contained-mean

Hmmmmm...

Has anyone had success with this using the DIY van conversion and bucket method of being self contained? 

I did see some host sites in my area that I would like to stay at, and the hosts received many good reviews. Not sure it would be worth giving up space to a 15 GAL black tank that I will never use.  ~crofter

you don't need to join a club to volunteer for ranch work. most ranches will welcome free labor. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
you don't need to join a club to volunteer for ranch work.  most ranches will welcome free labor.  highdesertranger

Tee Hee - I am retired so the free labor would not happen, other that hanging out and watching others work, making comments, eating the good food, and enjoying the million stars at night.  ~crofter

Also I emailed boondockerswelcome and asked about was a black tank required. Waiting for a reply from them.