Is there a RT host network?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello pilgrims,

Congratulations to Bob and all for the great new film and all the attention it is receiving. I am not a rubber tramp, YET, although I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. I am currently homeful, having built and paid off a 5-acre homestead west of Kansas City when I had a good-paying job. Unemployed for a year now, and feeling very poor, aside from being blessed with the property. I am largely off-grid, mostly having to come up with a small monthly amount for property tax and electric (to handle what my small solar PV rig can't do). I just built myself a custom teardrop camper for personal outings, guest house, and to be one of several structures offered on airbnb. Probably retiring next year.

I am very supportive of those in this community and their needs. Had I not had my own personal awakening 12 years ago (after watching Chris Martenson's excellent Crash Course), I could very well be in a dire financial situation today.

I am interested in being a host to fellow pilgrims who find themselves traversing the very center of the continental US and need a quiet and safe place to overnight. Has a network of such hosts been formalized to any degree, or is it just kind of a word-of-mouth thing?

Blessings, Doug

Welcome Doug to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL forums Doug! We do not have a network of hosts but you are welcome to invite people to stay on your property. Several of our members who have property do this. It's best to handle the introductions and give directions through PMs (private messages). You can also invite people by listing your place on freecampsites which is owned by forum members- https://freecampsites.net/

also check out boondockers welcome. May be a small fee to join but they put the word out

Thanks Doug, for joining and making the offer.

boondockerswelcome.com

and 

hipcamp.com

are a couple of websites devoted to offering up private spots for travelers to spend a night or 3.

Boondockers Welcome is mainly for self-contained RVers and property owners to share a bit of time together as the RVers travel thru your area.

You are not expected to provide any amenities, such as meals, showers or toilets, but providing at least 20 or 30 amp RV electric shore power and a water spigot is considered a bonus, depending on your situation of course.  You can not charge for the stay but you CAN ask for a donation of $5 or $10 a night for electricity and water. As a 'host', you attain 'guest' credits for every guest that you host, so if you want to become a guest later on, and do some traveling and staying with other hosts, it wont cost you anything. 

I am a member of that one...as a host there is no charge to join, but you do have to abide by certain 'standards': carry homeowners insurance and agree to a non-discrimination policy. (Sort of) 

I have met some very nice and interesting people thru boondockers welcome. 

HipCamp is more for tenters, car campers, couch surfers, and younger adventurers who will need a place to pitch a tent or might want to stay in your cabin, yurt, teepee, mancave, adobe lean-to, railroad caboose, or whatever you might offer, and they will probably need showers and toilet facilities, and possibly a meal...you ARE allowed to charge for this service, you set your own rates, and again, agree to certain 'standards'.

You can certainly become a member of both communities if you want to offer both types of amenities.

Good luck and hey, thanks again for offering it up.

:thumbsup:

I too feel called upon to help out others living this lifestyle. My goal in the next 10 years is to purchase a bit of land for myself to build a small sustainable home on, and develop the rest of it into campgrounds which i will make available to those who i meet along the way, and that i trust, to use as a home base on their journey.