Is there a high top van that will fit in garage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paula

Reaction score
I live in Chicago.  I don't have a van yet and can't decide if I should go with a high top or not.  I don't think I could keep my sanity in a standard van, but can a high top fit in a garage?  I need to stand up, but I also need to stay out of the elements.   Can anyone recommend a van model that I can stand up in that can also fit in a standard garage?  Thanks so very much for any advice.  I've thought about a trailer too, but don't know how I could keep that stealth enough to survive the city.   I currently drive a 2005 toyota camry which I plan on selling once my mother passes away so I can buy a van to live in.

It's definitely a tradeoff: ergonomic and anatomical relief and cubic volume efficiency vs. cramped and fits in standard garage. Of course, parking under a(enclosed if possible) roof is a prime alternative and goal.

I've seen video's of a tall guy walking around on his knees in his van rationalizing (to himself mainly and his devoted followers) that it was plenty of room in a standard Chev van on his knees, lol. Man/Woman was created to be active and moving on his/her feet: not his/her knees. Ymmv (Not even knee-pads would rationalize that unless you worked at Walmart, stocked low shelves (where most of the bargains were at), and liked it :D

Many parking garages have a taller bottom floor with oversized parking spots. There are not always spots available and you may be more closely watched in those spots if that is a concern. It might be worth an afternoon of scoping out garages near you to see if they have spots and what the height restrictions are for the upper levels. It seems to vary by what part of the country you're in. The difference between 6'9 and 7'1 could make a difference in your van choices.

I'm perfectly happy in my tiny van by I know I'm in the minority. I like not having to worry about whether it will fit anywhere.

Thank you so much for all the responses. I am 5'7". I haven't heard of a mid-roof design and will look into that thanks. I have looked into pop top vans, but the only ones I've found are too expensive. But I think that was only the Sportsmobile. I haven't heard of GTRV or CCV so will look into those as well. Thank you so much! I didn't know I could add a "pop-up" to a standard van. I only heard of folks adding inches. So glad to hear that's an option as well. Thank you so much for all the information.

You want to live stealth in a van, but you want it to fit into a garage.  I don't see that happening unless you build a TALL garage.

If your going to live in it, what difference does it make if it fits in the garage?

Thank you again for all of the responses. I will check out the Sportsmobile dimensions. It turns out where I currently live, the garage door is seven feet exactly. I don't know where to find the dimensions of most vans. I appreciate any advice. Thank you again for all the responses.

That is an excellent question. There is nothing quite as comforting as a garage for your vehicle. When I build a modest home (in the middle of a 5 acre plot hopefully), it will be draped around an 11' garage (with a garage door opener of course); and I can always live in my rv/van before, during, and after the build.

Living w/o a garage (initially) was something I grappled with for a while at first, but Bob's greedy rv/van heuristics are man-century's beyond the norm. If you just play life as a transitional plan, you have the power of statistics on your side with value and health as attributes. That's because it's the only system I've seen that foils the unhealthy power grid and the money stealing chain of home owners.

If he were still alive, Buddha would be living in a rv/van :)
Peace.

A standard residential garage door opening is 7 feet and depending on how the door opens you could loose up to 4 inches, so somewhere between 6'8" and 7'.  Van heights vary depending on 2WD vs. 4WD, standard vs. HD suspension and standard vs. oversized tires.  A 2018 Ford Transit is 6'9" tall,  midheight is 8'4", tall is 9'1".

One thing you could try in the AM is getting out of bed, dressing and getting out of your bedroom without standing up; either kneeling or sitting on a wheeled stool  See how you like it.  You could also do kitchen chores seated (need a taller stool).

breeze said:
That is an excellent question. There is nothing quite as comforting as a garage for your vehicle. When I build a modest home (in the middle of a 5 acre plot hopefully), it will be draped around an 11' garage (with a garage door opener of course); and I can always live in my rv/van before, during, and after the build.

Living w/o a garage (initially) was something I grappled with for a while at first, but Bob's greedy rv/van heuristics are man-century's beyond the norm. If you just play life as a transitional plan, you have the power of statistics on your side with value and health as attributes. That's because it's the only system I've seen that foils the unhealthy power grid and the money stealing chain of home owners.

If he were still alive, Buddha would be living in a rv/van :)
Peace.

I like this response a lot.  Thank you :)

Spaceman Spiff said:
A standard residential garage door opening is 7 feet and depending on how the door opens you could loose up to 4 inches, so somewhere between 6'8" and 7'.  Van heights vary depending on 2WD vs. 4WD, standard vs. HD suspension and standard vs. oversized tires.  A 2018 Ford Transit is 6'9" tall,  midheight is 8'4", tall is 9'1".

One thing you could try in the AM is getting out of bed, dressing and getting out of your bedroom without standing up; either kneeling or sitting on a wheeled stool  See how you like it.  You could also do kitchen chores seated (need a taller stool).

Thank you so much.  Sounds funny, but that actually makes a lot of sense.

PS: don't forget to include anything you expect to have ON your roof when (e.g., fan/vent, solar panels, etc.) when determining fit! Our pop-up camper would have fit in the garage if not for the lip of the fantastic fan cover!