Is my thinking on electrical corect?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah already dropped a comment over there...

Only problem with places with trees is that the bugs like them too!

:p

tx2sturgis said:
I hear tell of this....'shade'..
Somehow it seems to be related to ....'trees'....

There are trees around here but they're only about 8' tall and have thin foliage.  Mesquite I believe.

For medications, A wide mouth vacuum thermos bottle with a bit of ice works well. Put the ice or meds in a good plastic bag. If you are in a city, a soda from a fast food place would be enough ice. You may even ask if you can get some ice water for free.

If you hook up a refrigerator, I would wire it directly to the battery with a fuse and larger wire, (like 10 gauge). The wires feeding a cigar lighter tend to be small and the plugs also tend to have bad connections. Both will use more electricity when running a refrigerator. The type of coolers that are inexpensive are made for use while driving where you have lots of electricity available. They are not efficient and will only drop the temperature maybe 30 degrees. So if it is 100 outside, it will be 70 in the cooler. You want one that has a compressor

The smaller the wire is, the more resistance it has to DC current. This resistance causes a voltage drop as it passes through the wire. The lower the voltage is going to the refrigerator, the more amperage it will use.

DannyB1954 said:
...If you hook up a refrigerator, I would wire it directly to the battery with a fuse and larger wire, (like 10 gauge)...

That's fine, if you're driving for hours every day.

If you're not driving for hours every day, you're going to need a house battery and a way to keep that house battery charged. Depending on your starter battery to run your "house" and also reliably start your vehicle after 3 days of being camped in one place doesn't sound like a recipe for  successful boondocking to me.

I did not suggest that the refrigerator be run off of the vehicle battery. The OP already stated having a house battery with a way of recharging it. My point is it is not a good idea to run a reefer through a cigar lighter outlet. Many come with that style plug, but I would not use it.

slow2day said:
There are trees around here but they're only about 8' tall and have thin foliage.  Mesquite I believe.

Must not have the Mojave winds. Around Southern Nevada, the mesquite, creosote, and sage are never more than around 2 feet at their tallest. Cross country jogging through the desert they can be used as very low hurdles.

Looking at acres of brush like that one day, it popped into my head why it's called "scrub brush". Looked like an old time scrub brush with shorter bristles.

On my Whynter 62 qt, I cut the plug off and used ring terminals to connect to a fuse block.

The cigar lighter plugs have a tendency to pop out of contact.

DannyB1954 said:
I did not suggest that the refrigerator be run off of the vehicle battery. The OP already stated having a house battery with a way of recharging it. My point is it is not a good idea to run a reefer through a cigar lighter outlet. Many come with that style plug, but I would not use it.
OK, I missed that part.