Is Mr. Buddy heater truly safe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svenn

Reaction score
Seems to be that these propane heaters are the consensus method to heat our vehicles... my living space however is much smaller than most- basically a large coffin.  Are these heaters really safe in that size space with carbon monoxide, or at the very least will they stink?

Can they be used safely within their parameters, yes. They require ventilation and clearance.

Do they stink? For me yes but I avoid even the stove if I can. Some people have no issues what so ever.

Good ventilation is key to safety. If the sleeping space is that tight, I'd avoid using propane. Perhaps have enough battery capacity to use a 12VDC blanket?

Mr. Buddy heaters are rated for indoor use.

O2 consumption is more of a threat than MO with them I think. The heater does have a low 02 shutoff but you should still have ventilation; this will also help reduce the condensation that comes from burning (or catalyzing) propane.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet...but a carbon monoxide detector is a MUST no matter what.

To me, it doesn't matter whether the Mr. Buddy heater claims to be safe or not. If I'm using it, I'm taking precautions regardless. No way I'm letting an odorless, invisible gas sneak up on me!

I like my Buddy heaters. Good product that performs as advertised.
There are, though, some folks who have a sensitivity to propane fumes. Gives them headaches, and sometimes breathing troubles. Glad I am not one of them.
When I use the smaller one-tank Buddy in my minivan, the van has vents in the rear near the floor - I can feel cool air coming in. I keep one rear side window cranked out a bit. Works fine for me.

Mr. Heater (makers of the Buddy) heaters have low-oxygen sensors. They shut off when O2 levels become similar to air at 7,000 feet -- well before there's any serious lack of oxygen. However, that also means their heaters have a hard time working at higher altitudes.

The "burning" is done with the catalyst at a low enough temperature so that it doesn't make CO. It is not a blue flame, it is a red glow. If you need a CO detector, by all means get one.

When I turn mine off I test the tip switch. Rather than push the button to turn it off I tip it.

LeeRevell said:
Perhaps have enough battery capacity to use a 12VDC blanket?

Svenn...  If the space you sleep in truly is the size of a coffin, and you have the power to support it, I second Lee's idea of a 12V electric blanket.  

Ask SternWake what blanket he uses/used.  He mentioned it in another thread, and it sounded like a great system.  :cool:

Very important to know! Low temperature burns also produce CO as a product. All burning produces some CO. The Mr buddy type heaters produce a very small amount unless the oxygen level is low. Then a lot. The low oxygen sensor is the pilot flame. Low oxygen causes the flame to shorten and the thermal valve closes the propane feed. Could fail.

Hmm, maybe my space is a better candidate for candles? I don't think the electric blanket would work because I'm plenty warm under the covers (I have lots of wool comforters), and the bed takes up the whole space... I'm more interested in heating the air and the air in the little 12 cubic feet enclosure around the toilet.

As hurricane Matthew was passing there were several house fires in the East central Florida coastal area due to candles.  Candle flames make lots of nasty fumes so be sure to vent it.  They used to put a lead wire in the wick, I think to make the wick stiffer, and it would put lead vapor in the air as it evaporated.  There are metal box heater things that act like a chimney to create draft to vent outside and use candles or esbit as fuel.

I've seen videos of the flower pot candle heater going up in flames when the wax became too hot. I do know a hurricane lamp puts out lots of heat but I'd worry about it tipping. A alcohol heater is a old coffee or paint can with a roll of TP or rolled cardboard as a wick. The wick holds the fuel if it does tip but you have to keep the metal lid for putting it out.

Flame heaters in such a small space are scary.

Heating with the small propane canisters is very expensive.Best to buy a 20 or 30 lb tank and install a small forced air furnace.Doing that also eliminates all the moisture problems of an open flame in your living area.Might as well do things right to start with.

I have to agree. My furnace uses power and propane, even makes quite a bit of noise. The thing is I can run it day and night without worry and if it wakes me at night it's a comforting thing knowing it's running and I drift back off to sleep content.

in that small of a space any flame is dangerous. but i would use a lantern.

Our two mantle Coleman lantern was the heat before bed in our van, tent and little trailer. It would remain hot for a while after being shut off.

Would it be safe to use a Mr. Buddy Heater in a Prius? Or reasonable?

Currently I'll be using the heat from the Prius when the cold weather comes, takes up about a gallon of gas to run the heater on Prius for about 12 hours on low at 77 degrees preset (About 45 degrees last night outside, I didn't need the heat, I just wanted to test it for awhile to see how much gas would be used). So 2-3 dollars per night depending on location (2.09 at current location)