Is it worth messing around with the floor plan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willingtorelocate

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I recently bought my first camper, and I've started living in it. Pretty content over all, but the one thing about it that bugs me is the floor plan is terrible. It's ALL BED! I have two benches and a table that convert to a bed. I have an overhead pulldown bed. I have bunkbeds. I have a couch awkwardly positioned next to the kitchen that extends into a bed. And honestly, I don't have much space for things I would like to have like a desk.

This camper is a fresh remodel. It's been worked on recently, and it's been restored to factory spec with some modern upgrades, like a backup cam that was recently added. But I'm reasonably sure the floor plan has always been like this. 

I'm not really handy when it comes to physical stuff, but I was wondering... is it worth changing the floor plan? Doing things like pulling out the bunk bed so I can make room for a desk? Or should I leave well enough alone and look to upgrade when the weather gets a little better?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

Worth it? I don't know. What are your comfort and happiness worth to you? Do you want your new life to be as excellent as you're able to make it, or do you want to settle for something that doesn't fit your needs?

It all depends on how tolerant you personally are for living with a floorplan that doesn't feel comfortable to you. Are you planning on having the trailer for years or planning on selling it where you'd have to be aware of the changes effecting it's re-sale value? Because if you took all the beds out and replaced them with storage/desks except for a twin size bed that might be a turnoff to a potential buyer.

Also, the space you have available for a renovation might effect the time of year you decide to do it. Is it snowy there? Can you tolerate waiting til spring? If you do wait til spring is it going to be raining every day? Do you have belongings that are going to need to be stored temporarily? If you have a private driveway all to yourself, for instance, you may have space outside (weather permitting) for moving things in and out. It also depends on how long you'll need to be working on the project.

I had one of those convertible dinette sets with two benches and a table that transforms into a 5' wide bed. I got rid of it. I have a bed that's 30" wide now. It works fine and I have more room for things I want in my living space.

My recommendation would be to make the furniture in your new house as comfy for you as when you were in your S&B. Just like an apartment, you probably never moved into a place and left all the furniture from the previous tenants in weird spots that felt uncomfortable to how you like to live. Even in a furnished rental, the tenant gets to move the furniture where it works for them. Unless your landlord is a control freak.

But you are the landlord now, and you might as well like your layout. It is your house.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Definitely go for putting in desk space. Most RV interiors are built to appeal to the largest segment of the population, those who go camping with families. But those designs are pretty much useless for people who travel solo and want to work on computers or have workbench space.

About the most functional of the current RV designs are the toy haulers as you can lift the rear bunks up to the ceiling and have lots of floor space for other activities.

If you are concerned about resale value just to make it look like the work was done by a professional who thought it through and blended the renovation into the existing interior. You will have no trouble finding a buyer who is much like yourself because full time solo travelers or even couples who live on the road full time and need to make an income while they live in the RV are a very fast growing segment of the RV industry.

Toyhaulers are weird to me. Sleeping and eating in a garage.
I thought they had a separate cargo space at the back, when I figured out that was not true, they lost any appeal to me.
YMMV

wayne49 -
While I was RV research shopping last year I saw 2 different models of toyhaulers that had separate cargo garages in the back. It appealed to me because it was essentially a separate room that could be used as a workshop/garage/craft room/studio/office/bedroom. One was a Jayco but I don't remember much about the model. So they do exist. They're not mythical. Lol.

~angie

If you aren't using the bunk area, definately remove those, and use the space for a desk. It is usually no more than a couple of screws or bolts under the mattress to remove them, which would take little time, but improve your situation greatly.

maki2 said:
...If you are concerned about resale value...

We full-time vehicle dwellers are a growing market. I don't think there would be a problem selling a rig that had been turned from a family sleeper to a home for one or two people.

An RV salesman told me that he had often seen older couples purchase an RV with bed accommodations so the grandchildren would have a place to sleep when they stayed over.  He said a year later, they'd return to trade for one that accommodated their needs because the grandkids rarely came.  Moral:  do what works for you, not what you think may happen in an imaginary future.

Changing your current RV may be much cheaper than purchasing a different one.  I have done this.  And had no problem selling later.  If that concerns you, is it possible to remove the bunks, place a desk, in such a way that you can return it to its original bunk setup later if you decide to sell?  I did that with the horrible booth dinette.  But then I had a garage to store the booth components.

Also, before you start, take a close look at what's immediately around or under what you're changing.  Some booth dinettes have mechanical type components under the bench seat (water heater in one of mine) or a cabinet looking thing under a bunk that contains the outside access kitchen.

I say if it is cost prohibitive or far beyond your capabilities to do the work, look around for something else.  If it's a relatively simple fix to remove the bunk and put in a desk or something like that, do so and make it a place that you love.  I read somewhere that the average RV owner buys three RVs before finding The One.

As an aside, one thing I learned is that I didn't like the center located kitchens.  Who wants to walk in to a kitchen when they enter?  I noticed when someone would come in, they'd stop -- the kitchen was like a barrier.  So my last and most favorite RV had a rear kitchen; when you entered, you were in the living room and it was so welcoming.

Best wishes!

Stargazer said:
Moral:  do what works for you, not what you think may happen in an imaginary future.
That's a pretty good way to approach life, too.

MrNoodly said:
Worth it? I don't know. What are your comfort and happiness worth to you? Do you want your new life to be as excellent as you're able to make it, or do you want to settle for something that doesn't fit your needs?

Not much honestly. What I've got today is actually a huge improvement. I've been living with roomates for years. Right now, I'm by myself. I have privacy and freedom, and it's awesome. I'm pretty comfortable, but I just don't know if the current setup is at all tailored to me, or the least bit ideal. I do like it though. Don't get me wrong. So far, I'm loving absolutely everything about the lifestyle this whole little venture affords me.

regis101 said:
Why did you buy it?

One day, I decided to check-in on what the other road warrior IT folk were doing. Guys like me that spend their time travelling around the country for short term technical and IT work. Came across a slew of articles talking about the "homeless problem" of travelling IT workers, and how they're all buying campers or RV's and travelling from place to place. In fact, several cities out west have even done some nice things to accomodate for it. San Francisco is offering RV parking, and San Jose is offering a health plan. I read these pieces absolutely enthralled, feeling stupid for not thinking of it sooner. And so, when my last contract in St Louis was up, I bought a camper trailer and moved in. Took a month long vacation driving aimlessly around the midwest. It was great. Then I called my recruiter, and they sent me to New Hampshire. Been here ever since (about three weeks now).

Anyway, I bought the trailer because it was cheap, close by, and the guy who sold it to me needed to raise money for a funeral. I liked the guy. And the trailer's actually pretty good shape. Doesn't leak, the windows are solid, winterized. It holds heat well. It's not a bad deal, really. Just not crazy about the floor plan.

AMGS3 said:
wayne49 -
While I was RV research shopping last year I saw 2 different models of toyhaulers that had separate cargo garages in the back. It appealed to me because it was essentially a separate room that could be used as a workshop/garage/craft room/studio/office/bedroom. One was a Jayco but I don't remember much about the model. So they do exist. They're not mythical. Lol.

I'm a little confused about weights and whatnot. Right now, the current camper is pretty light. I can pull it easily with my happy little 2004 Ford Expedition (305,000 miles strong baby). Toy haulers seem big and heavy. Is it the kind of thing you can pull with a truck like mine? Or do I need to get something a little bigger?

Love some of the toy hauler layouts I've seen though. I would love to have a motorbike parked in the back. Would save a ton of money on fuel in the warmer months.

Willingtorelocate -
Yes, toyhaulers models would require a larger tow vehicle than that, probably. The best way to tell would be to check the door label on your Expedition and compare that to the max tow weight on the toyhauler. Googling the towing capacity for the year/make/model gives you a window but not a specific weight. The door label will have a specific weight on it.

Sorry if my comment above came off as me suggesting you get a different rig. That's not what I was suggesting at all. I was really just replying to Wayne.

What kind of motorbike do you have? How heavy is it? Have you seen these racks or lifts that go on either the back of your RV or on your hitch of the tow vehicle. I haven't researched them myself, but I've seen tons of vehicles riding around with motorbikes and up to full sized Harleys on a rack on the back of their vehicle. I don't know if they make motorbike hitch racks that are still usable for towing though, and they might be too expensive to be practical.

Here's a couple of links to similar looking racks. (***Please note I have no affiliations with them, these just have clear pictures to give a few examples. I am NOT recommending anyone purchase anything on these links***)

https://www.discountramps.com/double-motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-600-2/

http://www.saferwholesale.com/1000L...w3lRzbJC5sHo9bZlh0lFJa4RpTPLoVa4aAjIlEALw_wcB

Here's a YouTube vid where the guy shows how his ramp rack works. Seems to have quite a few references listed for different types of racks.

Also, keep in mind that adding a rack will change the weight of your towed vehicle and hauling a rear-heavy load (either in your vehicle itself or in the towed trailer) can be unsafe. Research how to balance your load if you have no experience doing this, and never haul more than your weight capacity for your setup. Doing so can be damaging mechanically to the tow vehicle and could be deadly if doing so caused an accident.

~angie

If the floor layout doesn't bother you presently, then learn to get by with it for as long as you can. You WILL get to the point where a change will be made, and by then, you will have an idea of what you want.

I occasionally have a "get it done" day when I organize everything, and toss everything unnecessary to streamline my life a bit. On those days, I often get new ideas of how to improve my living situation, and form a plan of how to do it.....Good luck.

Obviously, you see opportunities for changes to better suit your needs. If you have the skills or can pay someone, then go for it. The cool thing about old RV's is that you can customize it to make it yours. Plan it out and wait until good weather to do the work.

AMGS3 said:
Sorry if my comment above came off as me suggesting you get a different rig. That's not what I was suggesting at all. I was really just replying to Wayne.

No offense taken. I've been thinking about saying fuckit, here in a couple of months, and getting a bigger camper or RV when I get my first full check from the new job. Honestly not sure what I want to do. I appreciate all the insights you guys have posted so far. This board is awesome.

AMGS3 said:
What kind of motorbike do you have? How heavy is it?

I like to ride classic puk or vespa configurations. They're fun, easy to fix, and the gas mileage is unbelievable. I have a 92 JAWA back in St louis, but it's in pieces at the moment. Good news is, I know a guy who builds these in Worcester, which is about two hours from here, so I was thinking about picking up a new one. In general, they weigh between 90 and 120 lbs. Not too heavy to lift, but a traditional bike rack, like the kind you might put on a car is pushing it.

AMGS3 said:
Have you seen these racks or lifts that go on either the back of your RV or on your hitch of the tow vehicle. I haven't researched them myself, but I've seen tons of vehicles riding around with motorbikes and up to full sized Harleys on a rack on the back of their vehicle. I don't know if they make motorbike hitch racks that are still usable for towing though, and they might be too expensive to be practical.

Thanks for the links, these are perfect!

Doubleone said:
Obviously, you see opportunities for changes to better suit your needs. If you have the skills or can pay someone, then go for it. The cool thing about old RV's is that you can customize it to make it yours. Plan it out and wait until good weather to do the work.

There's a thought. I like a lot of things about this one. Just worried about destroying it. I just checked the dinette. It does have fuses, and water heater under the panel on the driver's side. But I'm not seeing anything terribly important under or by the bunkbeds. :D