Is it unusually windy in SE New Mexico desert near Carlsbad Caverns

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea

Reaction score
I’m boondocked in the desert for the first time near Whites City in SE NM. 

The winds were quite strong today so even though it was 50 degrees, me and my dog were freezing when we were outside. 

Is it windy like this in other parts of the NM and AZ desert this time of year?

That area is toward the southern end of the Guadalupes and those mountains are famous for being windy especially in the spring. In fact if you drive over Guadalupe Pass you will see several windsocks, and those things are often sticking straight out all day and half the night. If you have the ability to listen to NOAA weather you will hear the wind warnings over the pass. 

Yeah it's windy out there!

The leaves come out and the wind blows until it blows them off! Cinco de Mayo is usually the last of the cold weather for most of the lower elevations.

Thanks guys. I’m outta here and I’m going to Phoenix or Tucson for now then. I spent the last 13 years in South Florida and Raleigh NC. 35 at night is a little too cold for me and Snickers.

every desert I have ever been to has it's windy spells and I have been to every desert from Oregon to Arizona. highdesertranger

We are camper at "The Box" on hwy 60 West of Socorro NM (North of Las Cruces).. Gets windy in the evening, today the breeze was comfortable. Come visit

The recent low temperature is part of the big icy blast throughout the Midwest and Rockies. It was sort of an exception.

There are areas along I-10 through New Mexico that are always windy, so be aware if you're going that way in a high vehicle. There were gusts up to 50 mph a few days ago.

Have you considered the blm land in Lemitar NM?  You go north on I-25 to exit 156. make the left under the interstate and go right on the NW frontage rd. just follow that road until it dips back under the interstate at the northern end of town. (3-4 miles) Instead of going under the interstate, turn left on the gravel rd. and over the cattle guard and you're on BLM land. We stayed out there for a while one year and there was nobody else around. quite peaceful.

Attachments

• DSC00236.JPG
    DSC00236.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 7