Is it safe to carry a 20# propane tan full-time in my minivan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbaldwin

Reaction score
I’m working on my final kitchen design for my Dodge GC. I would like to store a 20# propane tank below my Coleman 3 burner stove in the rear of the van. I would securely fasten it down and shut off the tank valve after each use. Stupid idea? 

Here’s a picture of my planned kitchen. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• D58CE5CF-66CA-4112-B4EB-6CB786287B7E.jpeg
    D58CE5CF-66CA-4112-B4EB-6CB786287B7E.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 30
I have one I my van. But not in the rear. The only thing that would concern me is if you were ever rear ended. If possible try not to mount it too close to the hatch.

It's no different than when you go buy one for a grill or something. You have to carry it home. Most people probably just throw in in thier trunk or floorboard when transporting it for that purpose.

in some places it is illegal to transport in the passenger compartment. in other places they must be securely mounted. I have seen a person being denied filling his cylinder because it was being transported in the passenger compartment. highdesertranger

Ideally in a box sealed from the living space, vented out the bottom to outside.

Many survive being less careful.

Some don't but it's not many deaths statistically.

No it isn't but keep in mind it's one of the highest volital gasses. Keep it enclosed from the cabin area and create a vent to the outside in the event of a leak. If you are mounting it on the right as pictured don't have the van running while you are using the tank, just in case. Propane is safe as long as you follow the rules. Enclose, ventilation, keep it away from any spark or flame.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

My Ford Windstar has been rear ended 3 times.  The first time the F150 that hit my mini van was totaled.  Second, van, totaled.  Third, small 2 door sedan, not totaled but it got towed.  At no time would a rear mounted 20 pounder have been bothered.  The back door never failed.  Things wrinkled and moved but there was no penetration.    

I have been told I should carry propane in a hitch mounted cargo box.  In my experience that would have been really bad.  

I agree with ratfink56.  Mounting the tank right by the back door is tempting fate.  Make sure it's convenient to shut off the tank valve so that actually does happen.

The quick answer to your question is no, it is not safe to carry propane inside your van. Many people do it, myself included at times. However, there are things you can do to make your unsafe-ness a little less unsafe (or more safe), like using a sealed and vented box. If there is a leak while you are asleep, and with that amount of propane... you die. Place it in a sealed the box that vents outside and you live. It's that simple.

I would consider how much propane you really need on hand. 20 lbs (or 4-5 gallons, roughly) is a *lot* of propane for a van. You have no water heater. No furnace. Only a stovetop, right? It would take you months (literally, months) to burn through that amount of propane with just a stove. I burn through 1# of propane each week in my van, and I have a huge stove/oven combo that burns through more propane than a normal stovetop. My previous stove, I would burn through 1# every three-four weeks. 

Have you considered a smaller tank? The 5# tanks will still get you by for an entire month or two and you can still buy the propane at bulk rates instead of the single 1# canisters. They will be easier to stuff into a van (or mount outside) and a lot safer if there is a leak (or impact). 

Personally, I opted to simply dump all the bulk-tank options. I'd rather have the space inside my van for other things and keep the interior on the safer side. A gas leak while I sleep has always been on my mind, and without large tanks inside I sleep better. I've kept my cooking system on the 1# canisters and carry my extras up top (outside) in a bin. Yes, I am paying a premium for my propane, but honestly I hated finding bulk propane shops anyway. The convenience and safety of the 1# cans override the extra costs... for me.

If you have a setup with heating (e.g. ski nomad), hot water, propane fridge etc

then it's worth getting under-chassis tanks installed.

The Autogas style remote fill is very easy to get serviced, and you can carry enough for weeks of usage, fresh water should usually be your first have-to-go-back requirement.

All bottle sizes other than 20# and 1# are a lot more expensive.

Do **not** refill the disposable type and carry inside, for sure!

If you do carry the tank inside, get a propane detector and it should be mounted low since propane sinks.

Van-Tramp said:
The quick answer to your question is no, it is not safe to carry propane inside your van. Many people do it, myself included at times. However, there are things you can do to make your unsafe-ness a little less unsafe (or more safe), like using a sealed and vented box. If there is a leak while you are asleep, and with that amount of propane... you die. Place it in a sealed the box that vents outside and you live. It's that simple.

I would consider how much propane you really need on hand. 20 lbs (or 4-5 gallons, roughly) is a *lot* of propane for a van. You have no water heater. No furnace. Only a stovetop, right? It would take you months (literally, months) to burn through that amount of propane with just a stove. I burn through 1# of propane each week in my van, and I have a huge stove/oven combo that burns through more propane than a normal stovetop. My previous stove, I would burn through 1# every three-four weeks. 

Have you considered a smaller tank? The 5# tanks will still get you by for an entire month or two and you can still buy the propane at bulk rates instead of the single 1# canisters. They will be easier to stuff into a van (or mount outside) and a lot safer if there is a leak (or impact). 

Personally, I opted to simply dump all the bulk-tank options. I'd rather have the space inside my van for other things and keep the interior on the safer side. A gas leak while I sleep has always been on my mind, and without large tanks inside I sleep better. I've kept my cooking system on the 1# canisters and carry my extras up top (outside) in a bin. Yes, I am paying a premium for my propane, but honestly I hated finding bulk propane shops anyway. The convenience and safety of the 1# cans override the extra costs... for me.

The problem with those one pound bottles is they can kill you just as dead as a 20 pound. One pound is more then enough to blow-up  a van and likely displace enough oxygen to kill you if it just leaked. The valves on the one pound cans are known to leak and are frankly cheap. A twenty pound bottle is extremely robust, people have tried to use them in cognition with bombs only to have the 20 pound container survive intact. The case I'm familiar with a guy who wanted to get rid of his pregnant girlfriend placed a bomb under her house in a crawl space and surrounded the bomb with several propane tanks. When the bomb exploded it lifted the house of it's foundation but none of the propane tanks ruptured. 

I was going to say, I've never heard of a propane tank - of any size - randomly rupturing or leaking. There are usually very clear signs that have to be ignored for a long time for that to begin (damage to the tank, corrosion, etc). I would imagine the weakest points - and most vulnerable to leakage - are the connections and hoses coming off any tank and that run under or through an RV/van.

Thanks for the great input. Along with my 3 burner camp stove, I plan on winter camping in Colorado so I’d run a Buddy type propane heater when necessary; thus the need for a larger tank. Initially I was against any vanster propane powered devices as my daughter was planning on hitting the road with me. She’s backed out so less concerned now that’s it only me. Thanks again!

If you get a bottle filled when temps are cool, and then it gets hot later, the safety fittings are **designed** to vent out excess propane. And yes, even when only filling to 80% as tge law requires.

Plus leaks **do** happen, the user is supposed to very regularly test for these at all points in the system.

Flexible hoses should be very frequently replaced, long before they might start leaking. Even "permanent" black iron and copper tubing needs regular inspections, stuff gets old before you know it.

All this is bog-standard stuff anyone using propane inside an enclosed space should be familiar with before starting.

Boom bad, GIYF.

Or just take your chances, driving at speed on the roads is statistically much more dangerous for sure.

Meanwhile, no one seems to worry about carrying a bunch of green 1-pound propane bottles.

MrNoodly said:
Meanwhile, no one seems to worry about carrying a bunch of green 1-pound propane bottles.

Should i worry?

Carrying and using the 1-pound propane bottles is my plan.

The general perception is that 20# tanks are dangerous because they're big and scary and that 1# tanks are harmless because they're small and cute. My position is that neither are particularly dangerous in and of themselves. What's dangerous is leaky connections to hoses or appliances.

Matildas mate said:
Should i worry?

Carrying and using the 1-pound propane bottles is my plan.

It is my opinion that it is easy to store the one pounders inside where they are not likely to be damaged in an accident.  Hitch mounted boxes or roof top carriers are less well protected.  

I don't store the one pounders on the dash where the windshield can make like a solar oven.  At the floor level with insulating stuff over them they stay near the under van temperature.  
If you understand the actual dangers and mitigate accordingly the technology can work for you.  As a course of action worry and hope are unlikely to be helpful.

It's NOT safe to keep inside your vehicle. But many people do.
Several things that might help: my tank for perfectly in a milk crate, the square plastic type. I then could strap it down so it would not move. If you install is do it in acabinet with a fresh air screen cut I to the van wall so it always has a leaky gas escape route. When you hook it up check for leaks with a leak detector fluid or sniffer. Built up gas will kill you, it sucks the oxygen out of the air.

No way would I mount the tank on the back of my van, a semi rear ender would be a big ender.

Do more research on Google

Be SAFE
Jackson

I think in the case of the semi rearender the tank would be the last of one's worries [emoji23][emoji119]

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk