Is it safe to carry a 20# propane tan full-time in my minivan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally. My 20# tank is ratchet strapped to underside of the counter my stove is on. I'm fine with it. There's lots of better/safer ways to handle it, but I've never had any problems. It's out of the way of harm, can't be knocked loose in a crash, and I don't smoke inside. All I run is a stove, and they're right, it lasts months! That's great in my book. I fill my tank about twice a year, and I cook almost all of my meals in the bus. I did, however, buy a new tank and get refills instead of exchanges. That way I at least know the tank is in good shape. Some people are about to call me crazy, but the truth is, lots of not most of us, are doing it this way or worse.

Guilty.  12v propane detector nearby. There's up to 35 gallons of gasoline underneath it.  I'm more concerned about a head-bashing projectile, from the tank and other heavy items, than a leak. I've had slow leaks from re-used green bottles.

php8OH4caAM.jpg

Attachments

• php8OH4caAM.jpg
    php8OH4caAM.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 6
A very experienced propane man once overfilled my 5 pounders. I was carrying them in the back, passenger area, it was sitting for a couple of hours I got back to it could smell propane opened all the doors, took off could hear propane spewing out of tank went back to propane guy he rechecked them and emptied some out all was well, it can happen, his scale sorta jambed, so best have them in a vented cabinet and keep an eye on the scale, get to know your full weight. He told me an over full tank if put on your Bar b q would not work for some reason something about freezing I can’t remember but if after filling, your equipment misteriously stops working it is something to consider.