Is it OK to boil a jug plugged into the inverter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
I know jugs use an enormous amount of power in a very short time frame, and I'm wondering if this could have a bad effect on my 100 AH LiFePo4 battery and 12v DC/240v AC inverter? because I heard that draining a battery very quickly is bad for LiFePo4 batteries.  

Does anyone have any better insight into this?

you inverter will be fine as long as the jug is within the specs of the inverter. as for the battery I don't know much about them. some one else needs to chime in. highdesertranger

Okay thank you for the advise, I'll check the specifics of the jug and inverter to see if they gel.

poot_traveller said:
I know jugs use an enormous amount of power in a very short time frame, and I'm wondering if this could have a bad effect on my 100 AH LiFePo4 battery and 12v DC/240v AC inverter? because I heard that draining a battery very quickly is bad for LiFePo4 batteries.  

Does anyone have any better insight into this?

not certain what a "jug" is, sounds like some sort of electric kettle for boiling water quickly?

if so, and it is similar to the ones i have used where you can bring a litter of water to boil in 5 min or so. the ones i have used pulled 1500-1800 watts. or about max for what you can run on a standard USA wall outlet.

so at 12 volts, you could be talking about 120-150 amps.

in general,most lifepo4 cells can pump out the amps like that fine. but it is pushing the limit of some lifepo4. but if this is the same lifepo4 of yours we have talked about in other threads. the BMS is AMP limited to 50amp discharge according to spec. many many reports on the net of similar batteries having internal failures to wire/connector/fuse/electronics at below their rated discharge.

even the premium battleborn limits their discharge current to 100 amps.

i dont think your particular battery (in stock form) is going to fare well with a heavy current draw. if could very possibly fry the BMS and leave you with a useless brick.

There are a few of the hot water kettles that have lower wattage rates, around 650 and 750 and some are 1,000 watts but with a dial that lowers the rate it heats at which means reducing the watts. A good place to find one is at the thrift stores. A lot of times you can see the wattage rating on the bottom side of the kettle.

A lot of the kettles you will see for sale are 1500 watts and that is because people are impatient and want the water heated as fast as possible.

It will take longer to heat water in a lower wattage kettle but the overall amount of energy it takes to bring water to boil will still be about the same no matter what the wattage is. The difference being you don't need as large of an inverter to run a lower wattage kettle.

Low and slow will still get that water to boil but there is no savings on power consumption because it still takes pretty much the same BTUs to bring a cup of water to boiling temperature no matter what the wattage.

even a 650 watt unit is going to tax (more likely fry) the OP's battery if it has a BMS with max 50 amp discharge

Gypsy Freedom said:
not certain what a "jug" is, sounds like some sort of electric kettle for boiling water quickly?

if so, and it is similar to the ones i have used where you can bring a litter of water to boil in 5 min or so. the ones i have used pulled 1500-1800 watts. or about max for what you can run on a standard USA wall outlet.

so at 12 volts, you could be talking about 120-150 amps.

in general,most lifepo4 cells can pump out the amps like that fine. but it is pushing the limit of some lifepo4. but if this is the same lifepo4 of yours we have talked about in other threads. the BMS is AMP limited to 50amp discharge according to spec. many many reports on the net of similar batteries having internal failures to wire/connector/fuse/electronics at below their rated discharge.

even the premium battleborn limits their discharge current to 100 amps.

i dont think your particular battery (in stock form) is going to fare well with a heavy current draw. if could very possibly fry the BMS and leave you with a useless brick.

Yes a electric kettle.

Well, i guess I'm going to have to try find another way to heat water for my morning coffees.

Thanks for information.

maki2 said:
There are a few of the hot water kettles that have lower wattage rates, around 650 and 750 and some are 1,000 watts but with a dial that lowers the rate it heats at which means reducing the watts. A good place to find one is at the thrift stores. A lot of times you can see the wattage rating on the bottom side of the kettle.

A lot of the kettles you will see for sale are 1500 watts and that is because people are impatient and want the water heated as fast as possible.

It will take longer to heat water in a lower wattage kettle but the overall amount of energy it takes to bring water to boil will still be about the same no matter what the wattage is. The difference being you don't need as large of an inverter to run a lower wattage kettle.

Low and slow will still get that water to boil but there is no savings on power consumption because it still takes pretty much the same BTUs to bring a cup of water to boiling temperature no matter what the wattage.

Thanks for the information. I'm not going to boil water via the inverter/battery anymore. I might have to do things the long way and use a portable burner.

How much water do you need to heat?

If you only need to heat up a single cup of water, then you might want to look at these 12V electric immersion heaters. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=12v+immersion+heater

These 12V heaters typically only use 10A (or there abouts).

While I agree that the better choice for heat, is to use a flame, these small immersion heaters CAN be an electric alternative.  They might take 10-15 minutes to warm up a single cup of water though.

I can recommend a nice little portable stove for heating coffee water. It is the dual fuel mini from Gas One. It is large enough to cook on with smaller sized frying pans and pots. The rule is the pot should never overhang the area where the gas cylinder goes.
https://gasone.com/products/gs-800p-portable-dual-fuel-twin-stove

But one thing to be aware of in order to keep a pot balanced on the burner it can't be too small in diameter meaning it has to be larger than the diameter of the center opening of the burner ring so it has that support to rest on. The more surface area the flames reach the faster that volume of water will heat. So tiny pots are not of particular advantage. So shop for your pots after you get the stove or else go to the store with a tape measure or paper pattern to put against the bottom of a pot so you don't waste money on something the wrong size.

So not too big and not too small, that Gas One mini is a well made investment and it comes with a carrying case for storing it.

MrAlvinDude said:
How much water do you need to heat?

If you only need to heat up a single cup of water, then you might want to look at these 12V electric immersion heaters. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=12v+immersion+heater

These 12V heaters typically only use 10A (or there abouts).

While I agree that the better choice for heat, is to use a flame, these small immersion heaters CAN be an electric alternative.  They might take 10-15 minutes to warm up a single cup of water though.

lol I forgot about these little things. I seen one on a YouTube vanlife video. 10-15 minutes sounds better than pulling the burner and table out and making a big fuss for one cup of coffee. Yeah I think I can live with a 10-15 minute wait.

Thanks