Is anyone interested in convoying with me to RTR 2019 from Chicago, Illinois area?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Souleem

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to find someone who is departing the Chicago, Illinois area, or somewhere nearby, on or about January 4 to convoy with me to RTR 2019.

RTR 2019 will be my first RTR and, not having a van or RV, I intend to drive and sleep in my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder.

According to Google Maps, the drive will take about 28 or 29 hours, which I estimate will take about three 10-hour days, but I could be underestimating.

I’d like to depart the Chicago area on Friday, January 4, 2019 and arrive on Monday, January 7.  I’m willing to wait until Saturday, January 5, but wouldn't want to depart later than that, to avoid the risk of getting too tired from driving for too long stretches or driving fast enough to get a speeding ticket, or finding that the drive takes four days and missing the beginning of RTR.

If you will be departing from the Midwest area on or about January 4 or 5, and would like to convoy with me, please reply.

Thank you.

Alma

welcome Alma,

I am not in your line of travel otherwise I'd be happy to join you on the way.

FWIW, once you get there if you need anything feel free to give a shout, my friends and I usually overpack and always have something that someone may need...afterall, that's the core of RTR, community.

Safe travels and see you in the dirt!

I will be leaving from Louisville Ky. at that same time +/-. I checked the route from Chicago and it combines with mine in about St. Louis. My plan is a long first day, a medium long second day and a shorter day getting the RTR. that way there will be plenty of daylight to find stock up with supplies and find a campsite before dark. First night at Red Rock Canyon state park OK, second night at Canyon side campgrounds NM and then the RTR. Any interest? https://www.google.com/maps/dir/141...48bdd0b32!2m2!1d-114.2299486!2d33.6639137!3e0

Souleem. Hey I’m planning to head out about the same time to the RTR. Glad to convoy with you. I’m about 100 miles east of Kansas City, mo. I’d say pretty much right on your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 3 of us are on the same route by mid day. Take a look at my route above.

kygreg said:
"I will be leaving from Louisville Ky. at that same time +/-. I checked the route from Chicago and it combines with mine in about St. Louis. My plan is a long first day, a medium long second day and a shorter day getting the RTR. that way there will be plenty of daylight to find stock up with supplies and find a campsite before dark. First night at Red Rock Canyon state park OK, second night at Canyon side campgrounds NM and then the RTR.  Any interest? https://www.google.com/maps/dir/141...48bdd0b32!2m2!1d-114.2299486!2d33.6639137!3e0"

Hello kygreg,

Thank you for replying.  According to Google Maps, it will be a 5 or 6-hour drive from Chicago to St. Louis.  I intend to depart at about 6 a.m., which would put me in St. Louis at about 11 or 12 Noon.

Would that work for you?  If not, I can depart a bit earlier. 

I-40 to I-44 is the route that I had planned, but I have not gotten as far as planning where to stay overnight, so I'm glad that you have done so.  Have you been to an RTR before?

Thank you!

Alma

Steakchaser said:
Souleem. Hey I’m planning to head out about the same time to the RTR. Glad to convoy with you. I’m about 100 miles east of Kansas City, mo. I’d say pretty much right on your way

Hello Steakchaser,

Thank you for replying.  That would be great to convoy together!

Have you been to a RTR before?

Alma

Hi Souleem. This will be my first RTR. I’m excited. Been researching it for months. One thing. I have a puppy with a bladder the size of a peanut. I’ll have to stop every couple hours to let him do his thing. If that doesn’t suit you I understand. Pm if you’d like to chat further. And you too kygreg of course

I would be interested in meeting up at common campgrounds, but not really interested in following others during the drive. I want to drive at my own speed and stop whenever I need. What do you all think of the route I posted? Stops are tagged.

Kygreg. I think the route you posted is great. I understand about traveling at your own rate. I’m a little the same way. Just thinking alma would feel more comfortable traveling with someone close. And I don’t mind at all. Steve

Congratulations, Alma! Great responses and it looks as though you've got company on the road.

I even found myself wondering if my wife and I could somehow make it. We live about halfway between Chicago and St Louis and I'm finding that she's pretty eager to get out and start roaming around. This was before kygreg and Steakchaser got on board.

But we're not equipped yet to be off grid for a week or so plus other travel plans this year make it about impossible.

But maybe in 2020! In fact, I've already made that one of my unofficial goals.

Great to hear that. Keep me in your thought since I’m kind of a neighbor. I’d be glad to travel with you in the futures. This my first RTR but, I plan to be on the road for several months afterwards. No real plans but, enjoy the heck out of it. Hoping to meet other travel mates as well

Sorry, I'm having trouble with my phone, no computer at home.

I have email notifications of additional replies, but cannot see them on my phone.

I'm not being rude, just need to dig out my old tablet.

Alma

Steakchaser said:
Hi Souleem. This will be my first RTR. I’m excited. Been researching it for months. One thing. I have a puppy with a bladder the size of a peanut. I’ll have to stop every couple hours to let him do his thing. If that doesn’t suit you I understand. Pm if you’d like to chat further. And you too kygreg of course

I'm fine with stopping for bathroom breaks. It will be good to stretch legs and avoid blood clots.

Sorry to say I cannot see a way to PM on either my phone or tablet, although I saw it on my computer at work today. When I figure it out, I'll PM you, but it will possibly be tomorrow.

Alma

bluegoatwoods said:
Congratulations, Alma!  Great responses and it looks as though you've got company on the road.

I even found myself wondering if my wife and I could somehow make it.  We live about halfway between Chicago and St Louis and I'm finding that she's pretty eager to get out and start roaming around.  This was before kygreg and Steakchaser got on board.

But we're not equipped yet to be off grid for a week or so plus other travel plans this year make it about impossible.

But maybe in 2020!  In fact, I've already made that one of my unofficial goals.

Thanks for replying bluegoatwoods.

Actually, I'm not equipped to be off grid for long either, which was partly the reason I didn't go to RTR 2018, but I did two overnight backpacking trips this summer and learned that I really don't need a whole lot of stuff, so we'll see what happens.

I keep reminding myself that people survived for thousands of years, if not millions, without modern equipment.   :)

If you and your wife decide to join us, you will be welcome. The more the merrier!

Alma

kygreg said:
I would be interested in meeting up at common campgrounds, but not really interested in following others during the drive. I want to drive at my own speed and stop whenever I need. What do you all think of the route I posted? Stops are tagged.

Seems like "not really interested in following others during the drive. I want to drive at my own speed and stop whenever I need" means you do not want to convoy with us. If so, it's okay. I've gone on roadtrips with friends who don't like being "held up" by a convoy, so I understand.

I learned to like driving in convoys while in the army, but recognize that many people dislike it.

I think the route you posted is great and, after some additional reasearch, will probably follow it. If you don't convoy with us, I'll look out for you at your stops.

Alma

Souleem said:
I think the route you posted is great and, after some additional reasearch, will probably follow it. If you don't convoy with us, I'll look out for you at your stops.

Alma
More research is always welcome, finding overnight stops is not very easy and the two stops I found were the best I could find, but very open to alternatives. My early route had me sleeping at highway rest stops, but that didn't sound appealing, so I looked for campgrounds.

Right, being in a convoy is not appealing to me, but meeting up with some new friends in the evening is very appealing. As we get closer to the trip we could agree to meet in a certain spot in the campground. It's only 2 stops, so shouldn't be too hard to do.

Greg