Is a Jeep Patriot realistic?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every Road Leads Home said:
   Love the window screen idea,  so simple

b0227b2dee99ad90f58e37265802b801.jpg

I got mine in a clearance bin at Walmart about 15 yrs ago.

akrvbob said:
Get a Thermarest self-inflating backpackers pad. The thicker the better.

Hey Bob, ok I went to Home Depot today and got the plywood and boards for the legs cut. Gonna work on it tomorrow. Now, about the Thermarest self-inflating backpackers pad. Do you have any suggestion for a nice thick one? I'd rather spend a little more and get it right and feel comfortable than being overly cheap. :)  Also, remember I'm 6'3 

PS: if anyone else has a suggestion please post it also

Thanks!

Ok guys, I filled the space with the table. I was measuring my space to lie down and it was 72 inches long and 45 itches wide. It's length is shorter than I thought, but I it's fine if I lie diagonal. Lying straight wouldn't be comfortable at all. So, what self-inflating backpackers pad size would you recommend for this situation? My parents were saying a 20 inch wide mat would be too small and I should fill the whole space with the pad, but that would leave me little space for anything else. What do you guys think? Whats the best combination of comfort and room for storage? What size should I get? Helpppppppppppppppp : )

froghat said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, to make a long story short.... I feel like I'm having a midlife crisis at 36 years old. Hate my job, lost touch with my 3 close friends, single and lost interest in pretty much all my hobbies and interests in the last couple years. I'm miserable! [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I see people on youtube who buy cargo vans or RV's and explore the country finding temp work to make it work. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's so tempting to just go for it, but buying a new 20k van makes no sense to me since I have a [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]brand new Patriot[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. I sold my condo, so I have a chunk of money saved up, but I don't wanna use any of that for this "journey". [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, the two issues would be:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) Can I find consistent temp work to make it doable. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2) As a 6'3 guy can I sleep comfortably if I fold the back seats down? I would spend most of the day outside, but can I get any sleep?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Has anyone tried this before? Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions would be great![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dave
know 

[/font]Hi Dave,

Welcome to the group and thanks for sharing.  Have you considered a rooftop tent? If so you may want to try amazon or some outdoors store. 

https://www.backcountry.com/roof-top-tents

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=r...ze=90&ir=q:rooftop+tent&page=1&fx=stores:null

I hope this is helpful.  

Best,

Donald

Hey dy38, I think I'm going to do 50/50 between camping in a tent at free camp sites and sleeping in my car at a Walmart for city fun. I have plenty of time to plan this, but I'm trying to make my car fit in so I don't stand out and get booted from Walmart's. I think traveling in a car is a good thing because I want to force myself to be outside alot and meet people. I'm very introverted and my life has become very boring. I think it would be healthy to push myself. That being said I wanna make sure I can sleep in my car without feeling like I'm lying on a rock. :)