Is $2100 too good to be true for an RV in Austin area?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantRobertson

Reaction score
I will be loosing my current housing situation "real soon now," though I don't know exactly when. My ideal RV is a used shuttle bus that I would convert myself. However, I will very highly likely NOT be able to save up for said shuttle bus by the time "real soon now" arrives. So I am hoping to get a cheap, small RV with what I have saved up so far. Down here, I see a lot of RVs listed on CL for between $2000 and $2100. Most are listed in San Antonio but some are from closer to Austin. Some look pretty darned pristine. What are the chances that they are all bait-and-switch ads or just lying about how good of a shape they are in. With my current work schedule, getting out to see any of these will consume an entire day, so I kinda want to limit the number of wasted, disappointing days.

i see plenty of older class c's in that price range,between the prospect of roof rot and have a big block gas guzzler they are easy to come by,inspect well and make sure the name on title matches the photo i.d. of seller.i'll check cl real quick see what i find

Gary68 said:
i see plenty of older class c's in that price range,between the prospect of roof rot and have a big block gas guzzler they are easy to come by,inspect well and make sure the name on title matches the photo i.d. of seller.i'll check cl real quick see what i find

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the thing only has to last me for five or six months; till I save up for the shuttle bus. Then I will just turn around and sell it for what I paid for it. Maybe more, if I clean it up a little.

But it does have to run and not leak.

Try this.  

Right click on the picture of the RV, and do a google search.  

I have been able to find out  a number of scams that way.  

Always be willing to have it inspected.  Cheap insurance.

Gary68 said:

Thanks for the links, Gary. Though access to Craig's list isn't my problem. Heck, I got a CL app on my phone that I check when I am bored at work. The last one you listed, above, is actually the shuttle bus I want to buy, but don't have the money right now. I have been in communication with the owner and he doesn't seem to be in a hurry.

My problem is finding something to live in, without paying rent, till I can afford that shuttle bus. What I really need is something that is tolerable and livable with no modifications or major repairs.

It also needs to be pretty small so the security guards where I work won't complain about me driving it on the lot. I have already talked to them and a small RV would be OK. But a big, 28 footer would be too much.

GotSmart said:
Right click on the picture of the RV, and do a google search. 

That would explain why I keep seeing the same few RVs listed from the same phone number in San Antonio that all have the same photo but slightly modified. His phone number is also always obfuscated in different ways every time. I figure he is trying to make it hard for people to google the pictures or phone number or to search for the phone number and flag all his ads. There are bunches and bunches of them, all duplicates of the same few RVs.

Oh well, there are plenty of others in the same price range besides his.

Gary68 said:
good luck texas is just bleek,found one campervan and it looks like junk
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rvs/5173193712.html
might just go van until you save

At first, I wanted to go van all the way. I even had a really sweet layout planned. But I decided that I really want to be able to stand all the way up and to take a shower standing up. High tops help but only the tallest ones really allow you to stand all the way up. (I am 6', in shoes.) Besides, the plain vans that I have found cost as much as an RV with all the amenities. So, why not go with the RV? If I get a van then I will have to drive somewhere every day to get a shower before work. In an RV, I can pull into the lot at work early, get my shower, change, and step out of the RV and go into work before my hair has even completely dried.

P.S. Texas is bleak in more ways than one. But at least it is a good state to claim residency in when out on the road, and I have already legitimately established residency, so I am good to go.

GrantRobertson said:
Thanks for the links, Gary. Though access to Craig's list isn't my problem. Heck, I got a CL app on my phone that I check when I am bored at work. The last one you listed, above, is actually the shuttle bus I want to buy, but don't have the money right now. I have been in communication with the owner and he doesn't seem to be in a hurry.

Did you try offering him so much down and so much per month?  You haven't lost anything if he says no.

BC Guy said:
Did you try offering him so much down and so much per month?  You haven't lost anything if he says no.

Not yet. I'm still a little anxious about being houseless. So, starting in an empty shell is even more scary. If I pay him what I can, as soon as I can then there won't be much left over for making it livable.

But then again, life is supposed to be an adventure, right?

GrantRobertson said:
That would explain why I keep seeing the same few RVs listed from the same phone number in San Antonio that all have the same photo but slightly modified. His phone number is also always obfuscated in different ways every time. I figure he is trying to make it hard for people to google the pictures or phone number or to search for the phone number and flag all his ads. There are bunches and bunches of them, all duplicates of the same few RVs.

Oh well, there are plenty of others in the same price range besides his.

That could be a scam were he is wanting a "deposit" or bank information.

I live here in the Ohio Valley where Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia come together. 
There are quite a few older low mileage A's B's and C's laying around.  Many were used
once or twice a year for vacations and sit most of the time.   But here in the east
the owners don't have to drive to far between places as they would in the west.

The windfall for these vehicles is when fuel hits $4 a gallon and everyone is trying to sell
them as they can't afford fuel for them.   Often in southern Snow Bird states like Florida
a Husband dies of a heart attack and the widow just puts it up for sale immediately to return
home.   There are RV brokers crawling all over the place hunting for those deals too.

Deals like this do happen.   You just have to lay back and watch like a hawk, have your money
ready,  and move fast.

Youtube Video  "My $500 Craigslist Bug Out Vehicle Score"

Grant was that a dealer? they will do funking ads,i dont check dealer just owners,there are deals to be had at dealers just dont listen to a word they say,it is all b.s.

"there are deals to be had at dealers just dont listen to a word they say,it is all b.s." amen Gary amen. highdesertranger

Gary68 said:
Grant was that a dealer? they will do funking ads,i dont check dealer just owners,there are deals to be had at dealers just dont listen to a word they say,it is all b.s.

Yup, a dealer. At least he was honest about that part. I may go down there some day, just to see what he has, and/or tell him I'm gonna sic the FBI on him.

Consider going to "dealers" toward the end of the month on bad/rainy days.  Try to find out if there is a salesman who is needing to make some sales to keep his job.  Buy from him/her.   These will usually be
younger less experienced sales people. 

But beware his sales manager wanting to talk to you.  This is a "switch" where the more experienced
rep pulls a "TO" (take over) of the sale to force a buyer to a higher price.   If he sales at the higher
price the two of them split the commission and the less experienced salesman gets the credit for the sale.

Sales tends to start a new world at the start of each month.  Salesmen's performance is plotted on a
linear progression and the top salesemen get to keep their jobs at the end of the month. The stragglers
are fired and new salesmen are brought on after the first of the month.   Getting to know some salesmen
and establishing a rapport with them can often lead to some deals.  Let them know what you want and
explain your finances.   They may call you from time to time to ask if you are still interested and you haven't
purchased anything yet. 

I knew an older Barber who had his own shop.  His son was a car salesman who sold cars, trucks, and RV's.
The Barber was always talking "cars" and had a list (his son provided him with)  The Barber was always looking
for leads for his son and the list his son provided him was mainly "deals". (vehicles which could be had quite reasonably as the Lot didn't want them to display because they may have blemishes or needs that disqualified
them from being the "show pieces" to display on the lot. 

NADA books are often available to the public for Cars & Trucks at Public Libraries, Credit Unions, and some Banks.  There are specialized versions for Boats, Outboard Motors, RV's etc.  Most RV dealerships will allow the public to look at these in their show room. (they won't give info over the phone) 

http://www.nadaguides.com/?gclid=CO...hrase&ef_id=VQkDaAAABEq8DdUL:20150914210619:s

Kelly Blue Book

http://www.kbb.com/?psid=99999&siomid=seiem2qin_dc|70742904052|+vehicle +pricing|b|26285lk551871

And last, when dealing with an individual....check out what they are offering closely.  If you don't know
take someone with you who will so they can check it out for you.   The seller will realize you are serious.
Then check out the average loan value of the vehicle in question.  If the seller will agree to sell to you at average loan then you may get 100% Bank Financing if you have a credit score that will allow that.  If the
seller thinks it is worth "more"  then you may have to come to terms with him as to what makes the difference.  Is it because he had it detailed and waxed ?  Is it because the mileage is low ?  New Tires ?
Very little use in the time he's owned it ?   This margin may make the difference in his being able to sell it to you
if you assure him you can get the loan value money together for the purchase.  The determining factor is
going to be the price point between that and what he is asking. 

It would also serve you well to get the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and visit Car Fax to inquire on the
vehicle history.

https://www.mycarfax.com/?s_id=sem_ggl_001&gclid=CLq11Ju698cCFQUIaQodeBsKZA&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's also handy to know someone who is good at buying and selling vehicles in your corner.  You may even take them along after you have evaluated the mechanical condition of the vehicle.  If you have a mechanical friend and buying friend looking at the vehicle, then you should have an idea of what it is worth and the difference you'll have to compromise on.

$3,900 should be pretty easy to finance since you are working.

Finance it with a 2 or 3 year loan, and pay the payments until money is saved up to pay it off...