Ironing clothes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate ironing. If I don't get them out of the dryer quick enough to fold flat, then the wrinkles get shot with spray bottle of water, hand pressed, then let dry. Or spray it and put them on, smoothing them out and they dry fine. Any clothing that this doesn't work on doesn't belong with me. :)

This is really why I like jeans and t shirts so much, wash and wear, no ironing needed

Love this thread. Great tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you use something like Downy Winkle Release, read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on it: http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_weblog/health_wholeness/

Section 2 has a disclaimer: "NOTE: This product is not 'hazardous' within the meaning of the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard". I think that means it hasn't killed anyone in OSHA.

In 2013, OSHA publically admitted that it was a failure.

Wow i was just thinkin,,,,,I've Never had a "real" job where i even needed to wear ironed clothes,,,,cool

any contact with dryer sheets and my hands will become horribly broken out, also one spot on my left leg, and and a maddening rash in a rather sensitive area I often sit on
I'll wear em wrinkled, thanks

TrainChaser I clicked on the link thinking I was going to get the MSDS sheet((which I am quite capable of reading). instead I get a link to the organic clothing blogs. if you have the MSDS please post it. highdesertranger

I've had two jobs with dress codes and both bosses gave up on me after a few months and just let me do what I do. Which is wear what I want to. Can't be expected to do good work if i'm uncomfortable all day

itArtW said:
any contact with dryer sheets and my hands will become horribly broken out, also one spot on my left leg, and and a maddening rash in a rather sensitive area I often sit on
I'll wear em wrinkled, thanks

If you can use hair conditioner you can make your own wrinkle release. I kindly posted it in the same post with the link to the Downy wrinkle release as I know some people prefer to do that. I am blessed and don't have skin allergies nor do I use a wrinkle releaser or iron clothes or have a wrinkle releasing business so I don't need to worry about MSDS sheets,OSHA but thanks to those who pointed out the negatives in my suggestion.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I've had two jobs with dress codes and both bosses gave up on me after a few months and just let me do what I do.  Which is wear what I want to.  Can't be expected to do good work if i'm uncomfortable all day

When I switched from being a deputy sheriff to being a firefighter it was a nice change in uniforms (as well as duties).  As a LEO my uni had to be perfectly ironed, badge/name tag measured and pinned, we used brass buttons with backers and cotter pins, it was a lot of prep just to get dressed.  At the firehouse, at the start of shift, as long as it didn't look I'd slept in the uni I was good to go.

purplepeopleeater said:
If you can use hair conditioner you can make your own wrinkle release. I kindly posted it in the same post with the link to the Downy wrinkle release as I know some people prefer to do that. I am blessed and don't have skin allergies nor do I use a wrinkle releaser or iron clothes or have a wrinkle releasing business so I don't need to worry about MSDS sheets,OSHA but thanks to those who pointed out the negatives in my suggestion.

Nope, absolutely nothing with any fragrance in it'luckily I don't have to worry about it, but if I did I'd use the Navy method of laying my clothes out between mattress and platform
hell, even tap water bothers my hands. unbeilievable

ArtW said:
Nope, absolutely nothing with any fragrance in it'luckily I don't have to worry about it, but if I did I'd use the Navy method of laying my clothes out between mattress and platform

Like you, sometime in the last several years I've become a delicate little flower.  I'm allergic to everything and my skin gets irritated by my very existence, apparently.  VERY annoying.

What works for me: taking clothes out and hanging them up while still warm, then lightly spritzing with plain tap water and smoothing any wrinkles out.

I find this actually looks better on cotton or cotton blend shirts than ironing with starch and having wrinkles all over the back and sleeves within minutes of getting putting the shirt on.

It also helps to be judicious with choosing low wrinkle/non wrinkle shirts, if you have that choice. Some brands and blends and fibers wrinkle more than others.

While I don't need to iron anything for my job, and I don't full time in my vehicle, the standard answer around me for people who do is that the dry cleaner you entrust with your ironables does your pressing. Even my mother who has a house with her own laundry facilities saves up a load of machine washable ironables and brings it to her local dry cleaner and they iron/press it for her.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ArtW said:

yikes!!! What do you have to use? Distilled water?

Does anyone remember spay starch? I still have a can...

LOL  Spray Starch....brings back memories of my Grand Mother.    She would pull down her curtains and wash them and hang them up on the clothesline to dry in the sun.  Once dry she would pull them till they were flat and tight on the line.   Then she would go at them with cans of spray starch and let that dry in them. 

Once they were dry at that point she would ever so gently gather them one at a time and go in and hang them again.   She made a beautiful job of it.  Neighbors would watch her and wonder what she was doing with those
spray "bombs" (aerosol cans of starch).  But whenever guest dropped by they were always marveling over how she got her curtains to look so clean and neat. 

She took such pride in her house work.  And all the little tricks she knew.

I remember ironing my dads fatigues with enough spray starch that they could stand on their own, and you could damn near cut yourself on the creases.