Ironing clothes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgorila1

Reaction score
Question for those that work a full time job but also live full time in a vehicle: how do you iron clothes if you primarily stealth camp/boondock?

Navy Press
lay clothes out on sleeping platform, as they need to be pressed, lay mattress on top, and sleep on them

Without a large power system or generator to power a iron you could go old school and heat one on the stove somehow. in fact a clean smooth bottomed fry pan or pot could make a impromptu iron.

I'd do it at the laundromat while doing the laundry. Plenty of outlets and tall folding tables, thrown down a towel and iron away.

I used to iron my uniforms that way when I was younger and lived in an apartment without a washer/dryer, killed two birds with one stone.

I have a small travel iron that uses 420 watts on the highest setting. We have solar, 4 batteries and a 450 watt inverter.  I use a towel on a table as an ironing board and it works very well.  SteamFast

Recently I purchased one of these laundry machine top ironing mats for about $6 bucks.  It has a couple magnets to help keep it located on the dryer.  (which usually has a flat top)

51v4GBwR0qL._SY300_.jpg

I also have a small traveling Iron with folding handle

ads-trending-looks-make-up-combo-with-ozomax-travel-iron-large_4c4944c7fc2542ad0a176b6a2995d778.jpg

Folds up small.

I agree with Queen.....the Laundry Mat.  when there at the right time would be a great place to find place close to an electric source do to some ironing. 

I try to keep as much perma-press clothing as I can so that I don't have to iron much.   But still sometimes
it may be necessary.

Queen said:
I'd do it at the laundromat...  Plenty of outlets and tall folding tables...

On which planet is this? I've been to dozens of laundromats all over the country and have always had to fight or wait for folding table space. I've had people shove my stuff out of the way so they could have room. And outlets? Laundromats are in the business of SELLING you electricity (and water, cleaning products and restroom access). I've never seen one with outlets for customer use.

Never had a problem finding one, but I live in a university town and laundry is a competitive business here, lots of outlets free wifi, plenty of room.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
. . . and here I thought that clothes irons had gone the way of horse buggy whips!

I was of that thought as well.   lol

Gigi said:
I was of that thought as well.   lol

Me too. I don't think I have ever ironed an article of clothing in my entire life.  ;)

Does anyone remember the stretchers or whatever they were called you put in the legs of your trousers or jeans and pulled them tight? Perfect crease when they dried.

Rob

Dgorila1 said:
Question for those that work a full time job but also live full time in a vehicle: how do you iron clothes if you primarily stealth camp/boondock?

iron clothes ???? 

are you kidding that's my wife's job  :cool:

I hate to iron, and I hate wrinkled clothing. The best way to avoid both is by using dryer sheets and pulling out each item, one by one, while still hot. Then put on hangars what needs to be put there, and hand smooth it out. Later, when its cooled, I take the clothing off the hanger and neatly fold it.

And if I forget to pull it out of the dryer in time? Wet a towel or another piece of clothing and throw it back in the dryer with the wrinkled stuff. Then go back to step one.

Though I do like that dryer thingy posted above. What's it called so I can find it on Amazon, if anyone knows?
Thanks,
Ted

Every Road Leads Home said:
I wear mine til the wrinkles come out.  I tried to iron a shirt once in my life and it had more wrinkles when I was done!

When my wife and I first got together and were still learning about each other, we had a "moment".  I've ironed uniforms my whole life, first my dads, then my own, I can iron like a pro.  My honey had a wrinkled up shirt hanging near the iron as she was getting ready for work, me being the helpful sort asked "hey babe, want me to iron that for you?"... she replied "I just finished ironing it".   

:blush:

Gunny wrote:

Does anyone remember the stretchers or whatever they were called you put in the legs of your trousers or jeans and pulled them tight? Perfect crease when they dried.

I have one pair of them I use frequently.  Great in the winter to hang up on the shower curtain rod on a coat hanger so the dry heat of the place dries them.

At one time I had about 6 pair of them.  Today I only see them at Flea Markets & estate sales,  but in Amazon & Walmart websites they sell them for around $15 dollars.

Called Pants Stretchers

165703_2_.jpg

Below is a magnetic Ironing Mat  Walmart website has them for $12 but they can be found cheaper.

51v4GBwR0qL._SY300_.jpg