Inverter or solar panel or ?......

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloriahass

Reaction score
I am gathering information on what I need.

I thought of my portable DVD player which I plug into a wall to watch.

Would an inverter to go into a cigarette lighter be a good option?

A small solar panel to attach to a device for me to plug into (Don't know if this even exists).

or what would be a good option for me?

I look forward to your answers!

Power is measured in Watts. How many does your DVD use? You can measure the exact amount with a Kil-A-Watt meter, about $20 to $30. There is also a tag somewhere on any device that list what the requirements are. Look for Watts. Or maybe it shows volts and amps. (V x A = W)

With a Kil-A-Watt meter you can measure other devices and know what your loads will be.

Gloriahass said:
I am gathering information on what I need.

I thought of my portable DVD player which I plug into a wall to watch.

Would an inverter to go into a cigarette lighter be a good option?

A small solar panel to attach to a device for me to plug into (Don't know if this even exists).

or what would be a good option for me?

I look forward to your answers!

a small inverter like 300-400 would do the job and be under 50 bucks, just make sure you don't run the car battery down too much that is the reason and purpose of house batteries and solar panels.

I'd be worried watching even one movie could wreck a car battery.

wagoneer said:
a small inverter like 300-400 would do the job and be under 50 bucks, just make sure you don't run the car battery down too much that is the reason and purpose of house batteries and solar panels.

Then, I would need to know how to run equipment off of house batteries and solar panels. This is an area I know nothing about. I wonder if Bob or someone else has a video about this. If they do and you know the link, please post.

Thank you!

maybe run it off a jump box and then recharge that later. If I'm not mistaken at least some of those jump boxed will recharge off the cigarette lighter in car while driving.

Some of the jump boxes have built in inverters and air compressors......might be good to have regardless and simpler if you aren't ready to get solar or are afraid of killing the starting battery.

just a thought

I saw small solar panels that are economical and say they are good for running electronics. I didn\ said:
maybe run it off a jump box and then recharge that later. If I'm not mistaken at least some of those jump boxed will recharge off the cigarette lighter  in car while driving.

Some of the jump boxes have built in inverters and air compressors......might be good to have regardless and simpler if you aren't ready to get solar or are afraid of killing the starting battery.

just a thought

Its hard to make many suggestions not knowing your plans and budget.

IMO, at some point many end up wanting at at least 200 watts of solar. Nickel and diming yourself along the way can be counter productive if you fall into this category. 

My suggestion was something that would help out but still provide value down the road even of you went to a permanent set-up.

at the very least going with solar would require a panel, controller, inverter, battery and everything to connect them all. Barebones set up would be $300-$400++--

It would be great to be able to link to a list of questions for newbies like this just starting the learning curve.

Frater?

I'll start

How many hours do you drive, how many days per week?

Do you have regular access to shore power (mains AC)? How many hours, how many days per week?

Make a list of all such devices you want to run, and how many hours per day.

Ideally get a Kill-a-Watt meter and see how many watt-hours of energy they use average per hour.

Look at the wall wart for that DVD player, and see what voltage it runs at internally, and confirm DC power?

What is your plan when your Starter batt runs flat?

wmyers4u,
My budget isn't set. I am on a fixed income. I am researching what I need to live on what is adequate. I am looking at the ballpark figure so I know what to save for.
I appreciate your response.

here are some suggestions and link to example products.....very low quality......bare minimum and I cannot recommend these products without buying the extended warranties....and did I emphasize low quality

100 watt solar kit: $200 https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html
750/1500 inverter: $45 https://www.harborfreight.com/750-watt-continuous-1500-watt-peak-power-inverter-66817.html
12 volt marine battery: $120 https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p..._fkvU80CXFTK74KG-DUaAnDfEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the lowest I can see getting into a solar setup with cheaply made products not made to last. Other than the solar panels the rest of the system may last a couple years. I'd be surprised if it lasted longer.

This should give you and idea of the basic components needed and a starting point to look into who makes these components better.

Similar products in higher quality will double this andlong term you will still want more solar panels

You should think about setting up a solar system.  I think the newer lithium all-in-one's make sense for someone in your situation.  I believe you can connect any solar panel to these, not just the overpriced option.  These claim to have everything, which is their benefit for your situation.

Your actual power use is important to calculate.  I am looking at one of these to supplement my traditional set up, but haven't done so yet.

In general, you want to run as much as you can direct 12v.  Also, spinning a DVD consumes more power than a completely digital/streaming service.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PR4TBZ/ref=asc_df_B076PR4TBZ5492012/

$140, you can get a 100 watt panel for around $100.

Thank you for this! I have put your suggestion on my Wish List at Amazon.

I am unable to watch movies on Kindle and other small devices as it hurts my eyes - I have Glaucoma. My eyes don't hurt with my current portable DVD. Since the DVD consumes a lot of energy, it sounds as if I will most likely sell it and not watch movies. I do love to read and can go to a thrift store and pick up a few books for very little cost. When I have finished the books, go to another thrift store, drop off the books and buy a few more.

Gloriahass said:
Thank you for this! I have put your suggestion on my Wish List at Amazon.

I am unable to watch movies on Kindle and other small devices as it hurts my eyes - I have Glaucoma. My eyes don't hurt with my current portable DVD. Since the DVD consumes a lot of energy, it sounds as if I will most likely sell it and not watch movies. I do love to read and can go to a thrift store and pick up a few books for very little cost. When I have finished the books, go to another thrift store, drop off the books and buy a few more.

I don't know the actual power use of the DVD - the chips, etc in a computer also use power.  It is a factor, not necessarily a deal breaker.  There should be a watt rating on the label on the back.  Many libraries have the 'kill-a-watt' meters available for check out, and the actual number could be a good bit lower.  That wattage applies directly to the 'watt hour' rating of any battery, including the smaller device I suggested.

Learning how solar works, including the math, takes a bit of effort but it is worth it.