Introduction (cashreg)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashreg

Reaction score
Hi all!

My last name is Register, hence the "cashreg" username. I'm 37 and originally from Florida. I've been a van-dweller for about six months now. My rig is a 2006 Ford E-250 that I affectionately refer to as "Beulah."

Currently I'm camping in Western Arizona. I recently read a passage in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance that I believe sums up the allure of the desert: "A thing that exists here because everything else does not and can be noticed because other things are absent." 

The advice I've received from Bob's YouTube channel and the forum were invaluable to me (and continue to be so) as I began the best days of my life, and I'm so excited to meet and share with others of like-mind.

Welcome Cash to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

cashreg, congratulation on your journey and courage to make it happen, my wife and I have not yet began ours, we are still trying to liquidate our 10+ years of baggage and hope to real soon, we wish you the best and hope to see you on the road some time.
casper.

Thanks, casper! Best of luck to you two with hitting the road asap.

When I finally sold, donated, or trashed most of my things, I truly began to understand that quote by Chuck Palahniuk: "The things you own end up owning you." There's a master and servant dynamic beyond the workplace I didn't see until the chains were broken.

Hope I get to meet you both on the road too! We can have a beer in memory of all our "junk."

Howdy folks... 
about the junk... I am 54 yrs old and have accumulated so much crap, I started ridding myself last winter as i felt like I was a slave to it. Had a yard sale and whatever didn't sell I put to the curb. Almost everything was taken:)  I started getting rid of stuff before I realized I wanted to go on the road. So now it's  even deeper purge action LOL. I will take awhile to clear it out but I'm diligent. BEST WISHES to you an your travels

Welcome from a present Floridian and Eastern US Nomad.  Hope you enjoy this place!

~kimi~ said:
Howdy folks... 
about the junk... I am 54 yrs old and have accumulated so much crap, I started ridding myself last winter as i felt like I was a slave to it. Had a yard sale and whatever didn't sell I put to the curb. Almost everything was taken:)  I started getting rid of stuff before I realized I wanted to go on the road. So now it's  even deeper purge action LOL. I will take awhile to clear it out but I'm diligent. BEST WISHES to you an your travels

Thanks kimi!

It's so cathartic to dump the junk, isn't it? I remember watching a couple episodes of Hoarders and wondering what the emotional investment in all that garbage was. When I first started dumping my own junk, however, it was really scary because I think I subconsciously knew I was discarding much more than mere objects--I was discarding a way of life. 

Keep at it! Piece by piece, it does happen. And when it does, I'll be sure to save a beer for you too.

wasanah2 said:
Welcome from a present Floridian and Eastern US Nomad.  Hope you enjoy this place!
Thanks so much! I'm super excited to be here. 

Please keep an eye on Florida for me. I think I might be gone for quite a while. Haha

There is something beautiful that happens to us when we realize we "need" very little to be happy. I'm constantly editing myself and it's freeing. I share a popular philosophy, if something new comes in something else has to go.

cashreg said:
Thanks so much! I'm super excited to be here. 

Please keep an eye on Florida for me. I think I might be gone for quite a while. Haha

Ha!  In the fall/winter, I will be sure to keep FL warm for you.  :)  After that it's northward bound.

NO KIDDING!!! I keep a shoelace or random rubberband cuz I hate to mak trash and know it is useful... Well I do hoard wood. Which is to my advantage when it comes time to outfit my place :)) little by litte

Zardor said:
There is something beautiful that happens to us when we realize we "need" very little to be happy. I'm constantly editing myself and it's freeing. I share a popular philosophy,  if something new comes in something else has to go.
I love the way you describe it as "editing" yourself. I'm partly an editor by trade, and I know full well that editing is a continual process. The real trick is to never add or detract from the author's intent and style, just help elucidate his/her meaning. In much the same way, editing ourselves is akin to chipping away all the stone, not so we create something new, but so our real essences are able to shine forth.

~kimi~ said:
NO KIDDING!!! I keep a shoelace or random rubberband cuz I hate to mak trash and know it is useful... Well I do hoard wood. Which is to my advantage when it comes time to outfit my place :)) little by litte
Yes! A bed and shelving are musts; that wood will go to good use. Anybody with carpentry or electrical skills have a natural advantage with the mobile life.

Still in repair phase here but hoping for AZ soon...best to you in your travels!

Welcome here, Cash !

You posted some great quotes....thank you for those. I always struggled to articulate what the desert made me feel; your quote sums it up perfectly.

Good to hear, too, that unburdening yourself of "stuff" sounds like it was more of a relief than the nightmare I know it can be.

Hope we hear more about your journeys here and what else you are discovering about your new life on the road....

cashreg said:
Thanks, casper! Best of luck to you two with hitting the road asap.

When I finally sold, donated, or trashed most of my things, I truly began to understand that quote by Chuck Palahniuk: "The things you own end up owning you." There's a master and servant dynamic beyond the workplace I didn't see until the chains were broken.

Hope I get to meet you both on the road too! We can have a beer in memory of all our "junk."

cashreg, you are on buddy, I like your offer so much, I'm having one now, we both look forward to making new friends. Oh and by the way we are in the same area and have exactly the same crap going on that Chuck Palahniuk did, small world ha!
casper

Editing is life for all of us, some are better at it than others, could have something to do with why we are removing ourselves from the brainwashed norm, don't you think?

duckwonder said:
Still in repair phase here but hoping for AZ soon...best to you in your travels!
Thanks! I've met so many nomads out here, and it's amazing to swap stories and tips. See you when you get here!

FlowerGirl said:
Welcome here, Cash !

You posted some great quotes....thank you for those. I always struggled to articulate what the desert made me feel; your quote sums it up perfectly.

Good to hear, too, that unburdening yourself of "stuff" sounds like it was more of a relief than the nightmare I know it can be.

Hope we hear more about your journeys here and what else you are discovering about your new life on the road....
Thanks, FlowerGirl! Unburdening myself was a nightmare but only before I began. I made it into this monster I didn't know how to overcome. I'm continually amazed, however, about what people can accomplish with a steady, day-by-day plan. 
I intend to keep and post a detailed account of my travels. As Plato stated, "The unexamined life is not worth living."  :idea:
Cheers!

casper said:
Editing is life for all of us, some are better at it than others, could have something to do with why we are removing ourselves from the brainwashed norm, don't you think?
Certainly! I think it's all part of an awakening that's been slowly taking place over the years. Similar to our own individual process of "editing," society is also in its collective process. 

The discussion in this forum is one such example there's an undercurrent of discourse that is sure to be the catalyst for some real "editing," but on a global scale. Throw in a beer or three among a few AZ nomads, and we can't help but get a little closer to leaving the allegorical cave for good.