Internet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By using their cell phone as a hotspot AND having a cellular plan which includes a good data plan with hotspot functionality.

By using free WIFI hotspots like McDonald's or a public library, phone calls can be made using VOIP services, and Netflix/Prime shows can be downloaded for later viewing when an internet connection is not available.

There are two choices, either a paid cellular data plan or using (usually) free wifi where it is available.

Or you can use a separate hotspot that uses cellular signals.

Cellphone as Hotspot (preferably with unlimited Hotspot data like Verizon, even though they throttle after a certain amount)

Truckstops, restaurants, and libraries often have free wifi. Big plus of truckstops is they also usually have a lounge area where you can charge your laptop if you're wanting to save some of your power in your batteries.

Nomad internet has an unlimited data Hotspot, but it's not cheap and check the Google reviews before using them. Stories of nonexistent customer service, long refund times, incorrect sim cards sent, etc.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

slow2day said:
Or you can use a separate hotspot that uses cellular signals.

Common misconception- that is called a ‘jetpack’. I had the two confused myself at one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are a fully paying Verizon customer.. you may want to check out Visible wireless at https://visible.com. It’s a cheaper service ($25/month is possible) that runs on the Verizon network. Read the fine print and decide if it works for you.

If you are currently considering a cellular booster at around $500 for a weboost, another option is to wait a bit as that is the initial hardware cost of the new spacex starlink Internet service that is currently in beta. That service is currently priced at $100 a month for ~ 150 Mbps down speed. They already have 1000 satellites in orbit and it will work everywhere. The money that SpaceX makes off the service wall fund its missions to Mars. As the competing satellite Internet services come online from Amazon and Virgin, I would hope those prices will be driven down. Amazon’s recent test pulled 400 Mbps!

Good point - it looks like AT&T does call their device a hotspot. Boy if that doesn’t confuse things.

What Talcon says... Starlink will be the way to go when it covers the entire globe. I plan on getting it when it’s out of beta.

Hotspot is a generic term for Internet connection functionality.

One reason to use a separate device for WiFi is that a smartphone will stop acting as a data hotspot while acting as a voice phone.

When the hotspot device runs out of data GB for the billing period then you can switch to the phone as a backup.

Using visible i am on my tablet and watching Hulu .I can answer my phone no problem. $25 a month i don't know how you can beat it!

talcon said:
Good point - it looks like AT&T does call their device a hotspot. Boy if that doesn’t confuse things.

They are all hotspots. Also called mifi, jetpack, cellular modem/router/accesspoint (which is what it is), that thing that makes internet work (my better half).

Metalartist said:
What Talcon says...  Starlink will be the way to go when it covers the entire globe.  I plan on getting it when it’s out of beta.
Maybe, but I understand that initially it will require that the receptor be stationary. ​

The current phase of Starlink is beta testing by actual folks in specific locations, that are under served by cellular networks, to test for issues in 24x7 coverage, due to orbital paths and or other unanticipated events.

It's a ways away, if ever, for "13 nights and move" users in their constant pursuit of a 70 F high in areas miles off the Interstate system.

As always, technology costs are large, whether towers or satellites, they do profit analysis that might say that remote places, that have just a few seasonal, temporary users may not be worth it, if it requires more satellites.

The last time I really looked into satellite internet(about 10 years ago) it was only available to stationary users unless you got a special permit from big brother. something todo with the patriot act.

Has this changed?

BTW the permit was hard to get and you had to show a true need, watching cat videos on you tube didn't cut it.

highdesertranger

I had satellite Internet at the house, it was a lot of trouble, a cloud passes over the the internet went out. And it wasn't very fast, and the lag time was very noticeable. Streaming video was almost impossible at time.

The guy that bought my old house kept my Hughes net satellite dish working. He recently switched to Hughes net generation five he says it as fast as the cable. I have an experienced it but he has.

Latest posts