Internet reliability for work?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikigai

Reaction score
I'm contemplating nomad job options and I was wondering about internet reliability.  Assuming a good setup with booster and 4G and all, how easy or hard is it to find good internet?  Especially for things that require video chat?  There are some jobs I might enjoy but I wonder if the hassle of always having to find internet might distract from the whole freedom concept and it would be better to just do seasonal jobs from time to time instead.  Thoughts and experiences?  Thanks.

It depends on where you are. You can get a usable cell signal most places, except very remote, low population areas or up in canyons. The bigger question is how many people are trying to use the bandwidth at once. I've had nice, fast internet connections in the boonies because there are few, if any, others using it. And I've had horrible, almost useless connections in cities because even though there are more cell towers, there are lots of people using them at the same time. I've been places where the connection was nearly useless around breakfast time and after dinner, because those are the high traffic periods. I've been places where the cell signal seems to disappear sundown to sunset. I've been places along the border where the Telcel signal from Mexico overpowers US carriers. I've been in places where moving a few hundred yards made all the difference because a mountain had been blocking the tower. I've been places where you can pick up only one carrier and it wasn't the one I had. That said, there are many many (thousands? tens of thousands?) nomads who work online. It could work for you.

x2 on what Mr. Noodly said. I have been in the middle of no where and had great internet. I have also been right in town and had lousy internet. and everything in between. it all depends on where you are and the time of day. and yes sometimes just moving a few hundred yards makes the difference. highdesertranger

If your job is totally reliant on being able to reach clients at their convenience it will be difficlt to do so 100% of the time. You could easily frustrate people. So much depends on how flexible your co workers and clients are with their scheduling.