Internet Provider in the Boondocks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertDweller

Reaction score
Well, here we are in the RV park in Parker, AZ. Thus far, not so bad. Had a real issue with the internet until today. They have a cable/internet provider here. We'll probably hang here for about a month, but then what? Which internet provider should we use? Is there a wifi that works in most places that you could recommend? It's imperative to our business, since we both work.

Later on, when we get this rv thing figured out, we sure do want to boondock, we're used to being on a large land lot and this park thing is a bit too close to other people for us. Really nice people for sure, but we want more quiet. Once we have our bearings, we'll look into some solar.

Hi
Once you've decided on a provider, you'll probably want to consider some kind of signal booster for your own hotspot as most places out in the boonies will not have a very good signal no matter who your provider is.

I use a signal boost by 'weboost' - formerly wilson. They make several different models that vary in $ from 300$ upto 900$ depending on varying factors. I have one for stationary RV use as I use my trailer for a base camp but they have them for what ever your particular best use will be. I think I paid around 500$ for my model and it worx great. If I get any signal at all it amplifies it really well and I've been very satisfied with it.

Thanx................INTJohn

blars said:
To get current info from the people who wrote that book, check out https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ .  Verizon now offers an "unlimited" plan, check out the thread on it for the limitations.

Thanks for the link! Time to do some serious reading! We had contacted Hughesnet, they said the install for their service was "free", then proceeded to charge my card $159!  :mad:  So, I got mad and cancelled it!

All of my boondocking is in the Mountain West.  I have Verizon on my iPhone as primary, with a Smart Talk (Walmart) hotspot on AT&T that I buy minutes when needed for a backup.  I have a WeBoost 4G-M booster.  If I can get any usable signal, I can get Verizon.  If I cannot get a usable signal it is usually because of terrain blocking the tower or distance to the tower.

-- Spiff

I have all four carriers and can agree that Verizon is the most consistent signal but not always the strongest or fastest. The true test is when I get back to the Colorado Rockies this summer. They are the reason I have all four.

I use my iPhone 6 as a mobile hotspot for my laptop and iPad when I don't have wifi. Having travelled across the country now from coast to coast there are very few places I didn't have data service.

I second the suggestion of the wifi repeater when you're stationary at a campground. I put one together for about $75 that works really well.

You can buy a repeater on Amazon for $39, and the remainder of the stuff you need is available from C. Crane.

I'm actually considering setting up a hotspot here at the house before I sell it... dropping comcast... I tried to drop the cable tv but it was cheaper to bundle internet and tv than just pay for internet... I have a go-tv which works fine (there's nothing to watch on tv anyway) and after talking to my iPhone provider found I would save a lot of money this way.... and probably have more reliable service?!

Glad to hear there's other providers in the west.. when I went out to NM Philmont Scout Training center I was the only one who could call from the camp---with t mobile of all things. Everyone else had to drive up the mountain :D