Internet Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish420

Reaction score
I have read several posts about internet on the road, but I am still not sure about what I need. 

I will retire this autumn and am looking forward to going to the RTR next January.

However, I will still need to work part time after I retire.  I type transcription on line and will need dependable (and affordable) internet for about 20 hours a week for work.  Would this even be possible?  I appreciate any help and advice that anyone can offer.

Thank you,

-- trish420

You'll probably want to pay for unlimited data service if you're using a whole lot.

Not sure how much data it would take to be doing the transcribing...I know that I can play games on my computer to my hearts' content and never go over my 10 gigs that I pay for but I don't know what transcribing will use.

You might want to keep track of usage now while you're in a S&B situation so you know how much you will need to buy.

The other thing you will want is to either have a jetpack or WeBoost unit to strengthen marginal signals to usable strength.

I use a phone that has a mobile hotspot and a WeBoost unit.

Be aware that Verizon has an unlimited data plan but it isn't available on prepaid. I believe it is available on contract however.

If you're going to be out in the boonies you will need Verizon service, it reaches more of the scarcely populated land than any other service.

Trish, I would say a large percentage of the people who are active on this forum are using mobile internet, so yeah...it's doable.

Many if not most of the youtubers you see that are covering the mobile/van/RV lifestyle are using cellular data plans to upload videos...although some of them use public wifi hotspots at local businesses.

So yeah...it's very doable, depending on your plan and where you are camped or boondocking.

My last year of employment was from an RV  in the Houston area.  I was working for IBM as a software engineer.  I found it better to work fully remotely rather than online.  I would download/upload my work to a central server.  I found that to be far better than trying to work online.  While my location was in Houston, the central server that I worked on was in either Kansas City or San Francisco.

The problem with working in a true online mode is the delay in key stroke.  I had a fairly good connection, but still was seeing a delay while typing online.  The delay caused me to simply make too many typos.   By using a download/upload technique, I never saw a delay in typing a letter and seeing the letter pop up on the screen and as a result didn't make as many typing mistakes.

There are many ways to get internet, even unlimited internet out here in the boonies. Should you have a specific area that you plan on using you may find that it can be very inexpensive indeed to have unlimited internet. As a example, here is a unlimited AT&T plan and hotspot for $149.99 and $29.99 a month after that. Believe me when I say that AT&T and Verizon has nearly the same foot print of service and AT&T is rarely overloaded like Verizon can be. I know because I have all four companies and have yet to be without service even in the extreme boondocking locations that I prefer. Are there places that I have had Verizon and no AT&T? Yes once at the Grand canyon. Are there places that I have had AT&T and No Verizon? Again yes in several places. There are also places that I have not had either AT&T or Verizon needing Sprint and T-Mobile so no one service is perfect.

Unlimited AT&T $29.99 a month

I have AT&T now but will definitely research both Verizon and AT&T. I have spent the last ten years working 60+ hours a week so I haven't had much time to look at this. Thank you so much!

trish420 said:
I have AT&T now but will definitely research both Verizon and AT&T.  I have spent the last ten years working 60+ hours a week so I haven't had much time to look at this.  Thank you so much!

Just don't forget that there is a world of difference between unlimited data and great performance.

like Almost There said try to figure out your usage now. there are several free data counters. highdesertranger

jimindenver said:
As a example, here is a unlimited AT&T plan and hotspot for $149.99 and $29.99 a month after that.

Jim that one is advertising it was for an IPad. My assumption is I'd have to have one to use it?

Actually it is for the sim that would go into a ipad AND the hotspot to use it with.

:huh:  I too would like to know of a better solution if anyone knows of one. My wife used just over 13 GB of data on a Verizon JetPack for work (lap top) this past week,,, cost $160.00 on the pay as you go plan, we won't need again for 3 or 4 months.

trish420, the JetPack works but it is very expensive if you need a lot of data.

We don't need it but every few months, so rather not to be locked into a contract. But at $160.00 a pop I could have purchased an add on plan off of our T-Mobile account for $10.00 a month for 10 GB of high speed data,,, before you are throttled back... and still be cheaper for the year. Still for her job, just not enough high speed data.

Heck, at a $160.00 3 or 4,,,  times a year, I could buy her a second phone and data plan, if there's one that would work. :dodgy:

Does any have a need for tons (more then one GB a day) of high speed data every few months? and what do you do??

broken ed said:
:huh:  I too would like to know of a better solution if anyone knows of one. My wife used just over 13 GB of data on a Verizon JetPack for work (lap top) this past week,,, cost $160.00 on the pay as you go plan, we won't need again for 3 or 4 months.

Does any have a need for tons (more then one GB a day) of high speed data every few months? and what do you do??

My last year of working was as a software developer for IBM.  I was living in a class-A at the time.  I was fortunate in that I had a very old unlimited data plan contract with Sprint which was a true unlimited data plan.  I used my cell as a wireless modem to my workstation.  Because of my job, it was not that unusual to have over 150 GB traffic per month. 

Now that I'm retired, I have no where the need for that much data traffic.  The only way that I could begin to use that much would be if I was spending most of the day watching streaming HD TV on my laptop and I don't spend my lifetime doing that.  ;-)

If I had a need for large amounts of data now, I would frequent businesses which had free wireless such as MacDonalds, StarBucks, HomeDepot, etc.  I would batch up my uploads/downloads and do most of my work offline.

mpruet said:
My last year of working was as a software developer for IBM.  I was living in a class-A at the time.  I was fortunate in that I had a very old unlimited data plan contract with Sprint which was a true unlimited data plan.  I used my cell as a wireless modem to my workstation.  Because of my job, it was not that unusual to have over 100 GB traffic per month. 

Now that I'm retired, I have no where the need for that much data traffic.  The only way that I could begin to use that much would be if I was spending most of the day watching streaming HD TV on my laptop and I don't spend my lifetime doing that.  ;-)

Yup, I get it. My wife doesn't watch videos on the company lap top. For that she has an iPhone and iPad. We'll be checking to see if Apple O/S was doing any updates on her lap top during the connection to the JetPack.

For those interested, I saw that you can turn that off much like a metered connection for Windows.

She works in graphics; so very data heavy. When we've got to have it; we've got to have it, so we pay the price.

trish420 said:
However, I will still need to work part time after I retire.  I type transcription on line and will need dependable (and affordable) internet for about 20 hours a week for work.  Would this even be possible?  I appreciate any help and advice that anyone can offer.

Thank you,

-- trish420

Will you have to be online the whole time you are transcribing, or can you work offline and upload your files when done?  It will make a big difference.

Latest posts