Internet and Mobile Devices for Mobile People

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 You can get computer mounts, like the cops have, which mount near where the centre ashtray is. Knew a guy, years ago (circa 2002) who had his laptop set up in such a manner. Had a GPS receiver attached to it and it totally rocked. Was thinking of doing the same, but my damned dog would probably jump on the keyboard and trash it. 'Course, I could always twist 'n fold back the screen and put it in tablet mode. ..Willy.

Just bought a mount for my IPAD to use as a GPS navigation device.&nbsp; It mounts on the dash below the windshield as mentioned.&nbsp; Using the application called WAZE for navigation (has traffic avoidance that is the best).&nbsp; Works fine.&nbsp; But I have dual navigation machines, via a Garmin NUVI machine that also runs.<br><br>&nbsp;

I scored a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for $230 from WalMart with 2 year warranty and tax. They still sell for $330 normally (before tax)! It's not "outdated" per say. It was just an oddball clearance deal I found at a local store. I'm quite happy with it so far.

I use one of the kindles to browse the internet while away from a regular computer.<br><br>This is interesting.&nbsp; I will check it out.

Cubey said:
As much as I don't like tablets I may end up getting one since I do like to spend a lot of time online and the battery can last better than even a netbook. I have an Android phone for Virgin Mobile (unlimited data for $35/mo, add WIFI tethering for $15 more) but being on such a small screen, it can get old really fast. That's where the WIFI tethering comes in handy.<br><br>Of course... it's not hard to find a library to plug up your laptop and phone (if they don't have open WIFI) and spend many hours there daily without anyone bothering you. Free, open WIFI is everywhere these days... even Lowes has it for an hour or two a day, based on your device's MAC address.<br><br>It's going to be a long time before I need one, however. I'm going to be on the grid mostly so I can do fine with the laptop I have now (which is a big power hog, it has a gaming GPU).

Hi Cubey I use Virgin as well with HP laptop/pc and yes what a hog when it comes to power, I get about one hour befor it has to charge again so I limit my use to youtube and getting mail.  Virgin gives G4 lite/G3 coverage but we only have G3 here in Sacramento but good coverage that becomes iffy in spots,  will soon be on the road and I will give an update to coverage then becuse it will tap into any wi-fi spot that will show up and can make the touch to ride for free.  I tether for free because I do not turn on Hot Spot I found they watch for Hot spot turn on but not for tethering as it is hidden inside the program ths works great as my eyes are old and can not read the tiny 4.5 LG screen, so sad but I work with whatI can.  Good info here Thanks ! :cool:

I picked up a Dell Venue 11 Pro (with the xtra battery keyboard) and loving it so far. Can get the same roughly 15 hr life as the Asus, but with a Haswell i3 CPU which I've undervolted with Intel's XTU. One thing I really like about it, versus most tablets, is that it can be user-upgraded. Pop off the back panel and I can swap out the Msata SSD, battery, wireless card, and add a WWAN/GPS card. ..Willy.

After my windshield mount for my large 7" screen Magellan Roadmate broke, I began using my SIII smartphone with VZNavigator (already built in) to use as an ersatz 'GPS'. Three times now it has actually proven more accurate than that Roadmate! So now I have all vehicles including mom's car equipped with a smaller GPS mount that holds my phone.

rokguy said:
<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Hi ickkii,</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Yeh my Eee Pc is the 12v 1000HE model which came with the bigger battery pack option. I don't need an external battery charger pack as I run/charge directly off the bank. I still use the 240v (aust) AC power cord occasionally when I'm staying in RV parks.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">I also have the original smaller 7 inch Eee Pc I still use but this 9v only was hard to get a proper 12v charger for. (most converters were 6, 7.2, 9.5 or 12v here)<BR>Apparently the water board here were issued with them but had to charge them in the field with an inverter run off their trucks. I did eventually manage to get one from Hong Kong which was 9v specifically designed for the 7 inch Eeee Pc.<BR></SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">On the USB internet stick...It &nbsp;seems to be the most efficient out of all the things I've tried, (not much&nbsp;extra power usage, unlike wiFi, bluetooth add ons)&nbsp;the weird thing is,<b> I've sent emails from the PC in remote areas where I had no cell phone coverage</b> (same provider) (I was told it was something to do with speed of data tranfer.?? &nbsp;Does that sound right ??)</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Geoff</SPAN></STRONG></EM>
I am old fashion, where can I find no cell phone coverage?  I figured you should know, since I am highlighting your quote?

Okay, where is there no signal where it is not prohibited to have one. This example is like saying there are no cars on Beaver Island/ Mackinaw Island because they were banned for spooking the horses.

That poster wanted to find a "safe" place to go to get away from the "electromagnetic pollution".

That is why many people move there, they know cell providers won't be cpming in future.

Several areas in south eastern Utah. Hwy 95, Hite Utah.