"Interior" heating

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van der Waals

Reaction score
One of the reasons I'm switching to van life is to confront my weaknesses, one of them being low cold tolerance. I don't know how many "spiritual" types are here on this forum, but I've heard of different yoga-like exercises that people have used to sleep outside in the Himalayas and whatnot. Just asking.

Has anyone had any luck with breath techniques in cold weather, or do you just cocoon yourselves? I'm a conservation douche, so I'm trying to burn as little fuel as possible. I imagine it gives you away if you're trying to stealth park  :D

There are three ways to increase your cold tolerance:
  1. increase your metabolism (i.e. burn more calories).
  2. increase your insulation (more body fat, adding insulating layers, add wind protection).
  3. special gadgets (e.g. breathing heat exchangers, hand warmers).

To paraphrase lenny flank: the second law of thermodynamics is a b!tch.  You may be able to train your body to ignore feeling cold but you cannot change the effect cold has on your body.

Van der Waals said:
One of the reasons I'm switching to van life is to confront my weaknesses, one of them being low cold tolerance. I don't know how many "spiritual" types are here on this forum, but I've heard of different yoga-like exercises that people have used to sleep outside in the Himalayas and whatnot.  Just asking.

Has anyone had any luck with breath techniques in cold weather, or do you just cocoon yourselves? I'm a conservation douche, so I'm trying to burn as little fuel as possible. I imagine it gives you away if you're trying to stealth park  :D

I've never under any conditions been able to actively, consciously, manage my breathing while I'm asleep. 

I've done a lot of camping in winter weather. The most successful factors for remaining comfortable for me (and most people) are:

1. Have the correct amount thermal insulation for the environment (not too much or too little). Staying out of the wind is important.
  2. Managing moisture. Getting wet by breathing or sweating in your sleeping environment can render insulation ineffective.
  3. Having a full stomach and empty bladder. Having calories to burn is _necessary_ while camping comfortably in cold weather, and you waste those calories creating body heat to keep urine warm.
Challenging yourself is admirable and wise. Deliberately exposing yourself to hypothermia is foolish.

On winter trips I carry at least two sleeping bags. One fits inside of the other if it gets real cold, (twice the insulation). Get warm before you get into the sleeping bag or heat the bag with a hot water bottle. Practice using a pee jug inside of the bag. Make sure the jug seals tightly and keep it in the bag if you are still chilly, (it will be 98.6 degrees until it gives up the heat. If your inside bag temp is 60 degrees, the heat from the jug will help heat the bag). After the heat is gone, then you take the jug out.

“Practice using a pee jug inside of the bag. “

I would never even consider doing that. To each their own.

Have you ever had things go wrong?! That could make for a miserable night. :)

I'm pretty adept at peeing in a bottle, but I don't think I pee enough amount to make a useful hot water bottle out of it....

:)

Thanks all. I know deep breathing changes the perception of temperature and doesn't create actual heat. I've had some success last winter just walking around in shorts and a T-shirt, but only for a short period of time, not a whole night. Anyway, the van is well insulated and I've got a space heater, warm layers for backup :D

DannyB, you're hardcore! I'll practice bag-peeing in my roommate's gear. He has some REI hookup so he has plenty to spare.

Winter in SoCal is quite different than winter in N. Dakota. It makes me curious what is winter’s like where you’re at?

I move with the weather--north in summer, south in winter. It's rare I face anything below freezing.

I lived in Florida for 20 years though, so I shiver if it gets below 75. ;)

Guy Smile said:
Have you ever had things go wrong?! That could make for a miserable night. :)
No. Maybe I got enough practice from being in hospitals.
They tend not to like having you dragging their monitoring equipment into the shitters. They also measure the amount that you pass.
Pee bottles are hooked to the side rails of the bed. In ICU often they don't even have bathrooms. They are not expecting people to be able to be up and about. If you can get up for #2, they bring in a porta potti chair and you get to shit in a bag just like if you were a van dweller.

lenny flank said:
I'm pretty adept at peeing in a bottle, but I don't think I pee enough amount to make a useful hot water bottle out of it....

:)

It is also a matter of do you want to get out of a warm bag. I don't use a heater in my van when I sleep.
So what is your solution to the OP?  Criticizing whatever I post doesn't help the OP.

DannyB1954 said:
No. Maybe I got enough practice from being in hospitals.
No offense was intended.
I'll consider myself lucky to not be well-practiced in the technique.

Not really, a good propane heater will warm things up fast. Insulation is critical in keeping it warm plus if the heat is able to pass through the insulation quickly then you will be the only vehicle that doesn't have snow or at least frost on it. Not stealthy. I have been in temperature's below 20°F. And been comfortable. Not warm and toasty but certainly not shivering and cold. But I also wasn't running the heater all night. I set my alarm for every two hours and ran the heater for 15-20 minutes. It was fine for sleeping in a good mummy bag. I'm not sure about just a few blankets though. You would have to run it almost all night to stay warm.
If it weren't for the job I was doing at the time I would have been in the southwest enjoying the warmer weather.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

One last thing that helps is to burn a clean burning candle. It will help reduce the amount of humidity from breathing. My advice is to place the candle in the sink if it's metal and make darn sure there's nothing within two feet of the flame that can burn. Then take a terracotta pot, my favorite is the six inch one. Carfully drill a hole in the center then three more in a "triangle" shape to allow the air flow. Put an "I" bolt in the center hole and attach the pot with a small chain to another "I" bolt mounted above the sink to the roof. Hang the pot so the candle is half way inside when you light it. The pot will get hot and radiate heat better than the candle alone.
Plus it won't be as bright for stealth reasons. These work very well, I used this method when I lived on my boat. They do require that you make sure that combustible items are safely moved away from heater. Build one and try it out before you install it. I'm pretty sure a few folks are going to use them for the heat and the soft glow is nice and has a warming effect. In addition you can place the pot on a stove and get it hot. It will stay warm for about half an hour in 45-50° temps. Last method is heat packs in a dish towel at your feet really helps to warm your toes and bag. Hope you are able to use some of the methods we have used to beat the cold.

A typical candle puts out about 250 BTUs of heat.

Not enough to do anything useful.

DannyB1954 said:
So what is your solution to the OP?  Criticizing whatever I post doesn't help the OP.

???????????

I have no idea what you're on about...?

As for OP keeping warm, a good winter mummy sleeping bag does the job in all but the coldest of areas.

Google Wim Hof. His nickname is “The Iceman” . He practices and teaches aclimitizing your body to the cold.

I'll be in Baltimore through the winter. Not "brutal", but it ain't Florida either.
Beeps and eats said:
One last thing that helps is to burn a clean burning candle. It will help reduce the amount of humidity from breathing.

That's really interesting, thanks for the detailed post. My van has a propane space heater and I'm wary of having open flame burning through the night. One day when I'm living in nicer places I'll chuck the space heater and try this.

Thanks for all your responses. I'll be in Baltimore this winter - not "brutal", but it ain't Florida. I'm just inspired by stories of Native Americans wading through icy water in loincloths like it's not big deal and Chukcha people up in Siberia chilling (literally) in their reindeer skins. I figure since we're all the same species, anyone could pull it off. I'm not too worried about surviving, as I have a good sleeping bag and plenty of layers, but waking up every 2 hours to crank the space heater sounds awful. I guess it's a matter of habit and adaptation.

Beeps and eats said:
One last thing that helps is to burn a clean burning candle. It will help reduce the amount of humidity from breathing.
That's very interesting. My van currently has a little propane tank and I wouldn't sleep easy with a flame burning all night. When I move somewhere warmer, I'll chuck my space heater and try candles!

Dgorila1 said:
Google Wim Hof. His nickname is “The Iceman” . He practices and teaches aclimitizing your body to the cold.
He also claims to control his immune system and "isolate viruses", which is where I draw the BS line. But I do believe it helps you with temperature control. I also heard about a Tibetan practice where you control breath and imagine a flame a few inches off your navel. It's supposed to keep you warm all night. This morning I took 40 deep breaths and my ribcage is pissed at me! Guess I should ease into it while it's still summer.

Latest posts