Insurance - honesty about living in your vehicle?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was with Geico for 15 years. My rates went from $150 a month to $36 a month when I moved from NY to NH. Now in PA I gave them my new address. Rates up to $89 a month. I told the girl I only wanted the minimum allowed. I also wanted roadside rescue. She suggested I take a defensive driving course to lower rates. I've been driving almost 40 years without a ticket or accident. I'll be darned if I'm going to take a course. Checked Progressive and got a rate in the $40 range. State Farm believe it or not gave me the best rate at $38 a month. I called Geico back and surprise, my rate magically dropped to $42. I ended up going with State Farm. Got my rescue program too. My point is, check around and let your current company know you found a lower rate, they may match it.

Seems after 10yrs Geico or Progressive bump up your rates. Who knows how they decide that? I have been back and forth between them to control costs. You got to shop around! Insurance company is not your friend!

OP: exactly what kind of coverage do you want? I just have liability on my vehicles.

It's when you get comprehensive or collision that it costs serious money--I wonder if a 2006 van is worth getting this kind of coverage on.

I'm with Decodancer

I use State Farm, and though they may not be the all-time cheapest insurance out there...I think they have one of the best policy's in the business.

When I stacked up my stepvan 2 years ago, they actually gave me more to repair it, than I paid originally for it...and it wasn't even totaled! My rates did not increase either.

You get what you pay for.

I have USAA. I gave a 14 year old car to my daughter, and the hail came. She got a check for $1800 as a total, and keeps the car. They have always paid, and help is only a phone call away. Not everyone can get it.~~~

I owned an Nationwide Agency in Ky and Allstate Agency in WV. Retired 14 years ago. As far as I know, and as far as Allstate and Nationwide, they wont insure a vehicle converted to a camper.

I would simply insure it as a vehicle. If you have coverage on a vehicle Insurance companies usually pay. Guess this is one time its better to ask forgiveness then permission.

Right now Gieco seems to be the cheapest insurance around.

GotSmart said:
$200 a month???

I am paying $125 for two vehicles, full coverage and renters insurance. One 27 year old, one 55 year old. $500,000 limit with $500 deductible. Everything included, all riders.

Obviously it's because he's young and living in urban SoCal. How about you compare health insurance premiums with him, but what would be the point?

MK7 said:
Obviously it's because he's young and living in urban SoCal. How about you compare health insurance premiums with him, but what would be the point?
When I was that age, I was paying $35 a month, (N. CA) but gas was only ~~~ Never mind!!!

I have my own reason for never giving a cent to the gecko.

I was driving home to my then residence in Bisbee when I had a head-on collision with a drunk driver. (Tested a couple of hours later at .31! This is NOT a typo!)

When I got home a day later after being air-lifted to Tucson. I was called by one of the fine employees of GEICO. This person, while I was coping with closed head trauma, tried to get me to say something to incriminate myself for being at fault! When I objected to his tactics, he said that their client claimed it was my fault! (There were two witnesses besides myself who claimed it was his fault, besides the pending DUI charges!) When I pointed these things out, the jerk said, "Well, how do we know that's accurate?!" I then informed this bottom dweller that the conversation was over and any further communication was to be through my lawyer. He asked who my lawyer was. I told him he'd find out shortly after I did.

I then informed him that if he had treated me decently I might have accepted a fairly lowball offer to settle. But since he was such a jerk, I had no motivation to settle low. I then went to bed to nurse the migraine that the stress of dealing with this unconscionable moron had brought on.

The case lasted over a year, with them doing everything they could to fight it. A court case that could have been avoided if they'd been respectful and decent to me. I would have been happy with replacement of the vehicle and them paying my medical bills. It would have been so much cheaper for them. But no, they had to be monumental jerks. So, I have little fondness for that cute little lizard.

Lugh

Lugh...I'm guessing you were not insured by Geico at the time of this incident. The rep may have been a jerk, but it is their job to try to unearth any discrediting factors in the case. Its their objective to keep from paying a claim, just as you would if you could disprove a claim anyone brought against you.

I can side with you in the feeling that your condition at the time wasn't stable, but its a common tactic used by any insurance company. They rely on you making statements that will keep them from paying. Your insurer was using the same strategy at the same time against the other guy.

Its the nature of the business.

I am in a promissory contract with FOREMOST insurance for standard auto insurance, $75 a month for collision, property damage, minimum liability, no comprehensive. So if I have another fire that turns the van into a pile of charred iron, melted plastic & fiberglass, ashes and tar I'm fucked. My current policy won't cover that loss since it falls under comprehensive, so the van-dwelling dream would become just a dream again If something like that were to happen. I need to look into that RV insurance.
BTW, under 25, Santa Clara County, California, new driver.

I suggest that people contact Ms. Bobbi at the Escapee's Bancorp South for Instance advice. She has many years helping people who full-time in different types of lifestyles including Van and vehicle dwelling. She can help you find a company that can most likely meet your needs. In my case, I did a good deal of research and had an idea which company I would use. Them called her. We discussed options for quite some time. In the end, and because of her helpfulness, I went with that same company although through her. No different cost to me.
Please mention me if you call her. .I don't get any benefits although it may help her understand. Simply Lesa

debit.servus said:
I am in a promissory contract with FOREMOST insurance for standard auto insurance, $75 a month for collision, property damage, minimum liability, no comprehensive. So if I have another fire that turns the van into a pile of charred iron, melted plastic & fiberglass, ashes and tar I'm fucked. My current policy won't cover that loss since it falls under comprehensive, so the van-dwelling dream would become just a dream again If something like that were to happen. I need to look into that RV insurance.
BTW, under 25, Santa Clara County, California, new driver.

By having a "rental policy" ($110 a year) at my daughters address I am covered on the contents of my van with a $500 deductible. ($15,000 worth of tools) You bet I will be taking pictures and saving them on the net in case of any problems. I will also have a place to land and make another batch of canned foods to take on my trip.

GotSmart said:
When I was that age, I was paying $35 a month, (N. CA) but gas was only ~~~ Never mind!!!

Yea, but that was like in the late 1800's when insuring a horse and buggy was cheap and steak dinner at the saloon was only 50 cent....but what's the point of telling the kid all this? Like I said, it's not like he's trying to look for the most expensive insurance option possible because it's fun.

GotSmart said:
By having a "rental policy" ($110 a year) at my daughters address I am covered on the contents of my van with a $500 deductible. ($15,000 worth of tools) You bet I will be taking pictures and saving them on the net in case of any problems.

Unfortunately, you are not covered for $15,000 worth of tools under a standard Renter's policy. There's a limit and it's at best $1,000, but probably $500.

+1. Tools are a "hobby" $2000 max on mine. If there your profession $0. You need a rider specifically for that. Gotta love insurance!

I panicked, and spent an hour on the phone with USAA. As long as I do not charge, I have up to $21,000 REPLACEMENT coverage on my tools I carry with me. ($500 deductible) If I charged for my work, I would have had to buy a separate policy, and that would cost me $200 per $5,000 a year for depreciated value. (So whatever they want to give me!)

Every company is different, and the policies are all different.

I am glad MK7 made the post, as I needed to know what the difference is.

It pays to have a number of different policies and banking with this company!

What i have in the van is so little, I'm not bothering with trying to insure beyond liability which is needed to be on the road