insurance for cargo van...california

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ANYTHING can be insured.

Has nobody heard of Lloyd's of London?

They will insure your nose hair.

Uncle Todo said:
I think it's more to do with state definitions of an RV and policies for insurance. Companies do vary state to state, but that's because states requirements vary.
Like here's is Virginia's:
""Recreational vehicle" or "RV" means a vehicle that (i) is either self-propelled or towed by a consumer-owned tow vehicle, (ii) is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use; and (iii) complies with all applicable federal vehicle regulations and does not require a special movement permit to legally use the highways. Recreational vehicle includes motor homes, travel trailers, and camping trailers."

So I just went through on my policy with Progressive because I couldn't remember what is stipulated so I added a vehicle to see.
After check Yes, it's a van equipped with a conversion package, the next page states to be eligible it must not be a vehicle equipped with cooking facilities, drinkable water supply system, bathroom facilities, propane system, refrigeration system, or 110/125 volt electric power system.

Also, if I click "No" to being a van equipped with a conversion package, it just skips ahead and doesn't ask about cooking, water etc.

But being I have liability only, it shouldn't make a difference because regardless they don't pay me anything.
But this is just for example in VA, expect it to be different in your state.
progressive obviously doesn't want cooking, pooing, kitchening, heating,,, fridging... being done in what they are insuring --- which is a conversion van... so no one is concerned that when a liability claim comes up ---- say an expensive thousands upon thousands of dollars one --- that they'll say "sorry, we can't cover your claim because your vehicle is not what we insured - which was a conversion van."

Nothing to do with what they want, once you have a vehicle with such amenities it's not considered a vehicle, but more an RV from an insurable point of view.
For S&G's, I went in and test added a van and checked does not meet requirements, meaning it has such things on board and it asked me to call.
So for insuring a DIY camper van with full coverage, I'm guessing the title may have to indicate its an RV/Class B in order for an insurance company to insure it as such or else risk not having coverage for a claim of added amenities.

My RV is a Chevy 3500 Cutaway Express, but its titled as a Coachman because they finished it out. It has a several sticker in the door by Coachman.

As a side note, I had a friend that had a T-Bucket roadster that was titled as a 1974 Chevy Sedan, because that's what the motor came out of.

You need to check with the state as to what it should titled as.

I am from California and have already been through this.   I called an insurance broker and spoke to my current insurance company.   My conclusion is this: there is not a single insurance company willing to insure a van where the occupant is living in it full time.  They do not want to  assume that  "level of risk"  case closed.    I suggest using "your" permanent address as a primary full time living space.   And take your van on a long prolonged outing.   Returning to home base often and long enough to stay within what one would consider a full time residence.    

Beyond that my opinion would be to keep it real about the build inside.  Don't build it to where they might mistake it for something that goes beyond prolonged outings.   This will be my strategy going forward and my van will be purchased sometime in March of 2021.   Seems the "system" has us all financially  hogtied.    Best of luck.