Insurance for 1980 Westfalia

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggsjeffeggs

Reaction score
Hi everybody, this is my first post. I am looking into purchasing a 1980 westfalia tomorrow morning and I am just trying to figure out getting insurance. I will be driving it from Baltimore to the Boston area, I was reading that you can call an insurance company and they will place a temporary insurance once you provide the VIN for the ride home. Has anyone done this or can anyone recommend an insurance company for a westfalia, I wouldnt be moving into it right away so im not sure whether to go with campers insurance or regular car insurance. Can anyone help out the new guy?

Welcome :)
Hope you enjoy your Westy :)

If you currently have insurance, just call and give the VIN and any info they ask for. Should be eazy peezy. (Maxwell, the pig, does it with his phone ap)
If no insurance, you need to do a little shopping for your best price.

My insurance in cheaper on the RV than it was on my last van.

First you need to decide exactly what you want insured: just liability or more--collision/comprehensive...

Geico is wicked easy to deal with. I've never visited an office, done everything over the phone or on line. As a bonus, it's a piece of cake to get a live human being on the phone. And they are always cheerful, polite and a pleasure to talk to. I can honestly say I never mind calling Geico. Their rates are very competitive, even in taxachusetts.

In my state, a vehicle more than 25 years old can be registered - and insured - as an"antique". Might be able to save some money by looking into that. Don't know how well that will work once you start fulltiming, though.

Regards
John

Be sure to read the fine print when considering registering any vehicle as "antique" or "historical". In most states you are required to own another vehicle in addition to the one you are registering under that designation, and typically there are restricted driving privileges that come along with it. I had a 1981 VW Rabbit pickup truck that I put historical plates on and was able to save quite a bit in tax and registration fees. It was my daily driver and I was never pulled over or questioned about it, but I also never drove it anywhere more than 300 miles or so from my residential address. if you are fulltiming somewhere far away from where the vehicle is registered it may be a problem.

eggsjeffeggs said:
Hi everybody, this is my first post. I am looking into purchasing a 1980 westfalia tomorrow morning and I am just trying to figure out getting insurance. I will be driving it from Baltimore to the Boston area, I was reading that you can call an insurance company and they will place a temporary insurance once you provide the VIN for the ride home. Has anyone done this or can anyone recommend an insurance company for a westfalia, I wouldnt be moving into it right away so im not sure whether to go with campers insurance or regular car insurance. Can anyone help out the new guy?

If this is a replacement vehicle for one you got rid of, there is a good chance you will automatically be covered for 10 days under your old policy. Policies vary, so call your agent and ask. Could make your trip easier and less troublesome.

Latest posts