Insulated Foam Board covering

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfShadows

Reaction score
One of the last things I have to do is cover My Pink 2" insulated foam Board I am more of a function over form person, but I would like to add a little ambiance so to speak to the interior. The interior is industrial looking and has greys and a white headliner.  I am very colorblind That is why I like the industrial grey look I just go into the store and ask where the grey stuff is. Makes it easy. Can Foam board insulation be painted, I just want a no fuss installation.

I would think it could be pained with water based latex wall paint. The best place to ask would be in the paint aisle.

The blue and pink types of foam board can be painted with acrylic paints including latex house paints. Use a water based, all purpose. all surface, primer coat first. Zinsser makes one that helps prevent mold and it will do a good job of adhering to it.

For a plastered wall stucco look you can use the premixed, non sanded, acrylic tile grout and trowel a thin coat onto the surface. The acrylic modified grouts can take flexing movement and stand up to the vibrations without cracking. All the big box stores such as Lowes and Home Depot sell it premixed in containers. Or you can buy it in powder form and mix it into an acrylic liquid that they also sell. It does come in a range of colors.

If you wish to hide the seams you can use the tape to put on the joints that they sell in the tile section to put on the joints of backer boards. The grout will adhere over the tape and make the joints invisible when the job is finished.

If you can lay the foam board flat covering it with TiteBond II glue and canvas or cheap drop cloths will make it really durable as well as hold the paint to the surface.

I used the pink foam board on my van walls then covered it with Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic panels. That's the pebble textured stuff you often see on restroom walls. But I used it smooth side out. Bends easily to the curve of the van, really tough. The smooth side has a matte finish and paints easily. FRP is a little heavy so I used 1/8" luan for the ceiling.

I ordered Grey vinyl faux leather on Amazon. $6.67 a yard. Thanks for everyones input.

don't you mean "Genuine Imitation Leather" LOL. actually Naugahyde is a real versatile material. highdesertranger

HalfShadows said:
I ordered Grey vinyl faux leather on Amazon. $6.67 a yard. Thanks for everyones input.
Unless that vinyl faux leather has a fuzzy texture on the back side glue will not keep it stuck to the foam.  I learned that lesson a couple of years ago but fortunately on just a small portion of my overhead ceiling project.  But if you need to just glue thin wood strips onto the foam and then staple the faux leather to the wood strips. Those faux vinyl are meant to be sewn around cushions and/or tacked onto pieces of wood furniture.

It has a fabric on back not too fuzzy, but I use 3M super 90. It has worked on every thing so far. My headliner I made is holding just fine. Same backing. Went off roading in the mountains for 2 weeks and no issues.

I intend to use a combination of velcro and wooden slats to keep duck cloth (the kind of canvas you see on those white safari tents) in place over the foam board. No gluing of the cloth. A benefit is that it can be easily removed, replaced, or even washed. It's also water resistant, so will "help" act as a vapor barrier. (Not really counting on that, but at least it won't absorb liquids easily).

The foam itself does not absorb water. The place where the vapor barrier issues comes into play is a continuous barrier means no moisture enters that cavity area between the gaps of the foam sheets where they meet the wall or between the sheets themselves. You can use aluminum foil duct tape to seal the sheets to the framing of the van and to span any small gaps between sheet of foam. It is also very handy for installing Reflectix material to eliminate any air gaps. Great adhesive on it that holds tight in a very wide temperature range from below freezing on up to a very hot day inside of a closed van.

HalfShadows said:
One of the last things I have to do is cover My Pink 2" insulated foam Board I am more of a function over form person, but I would like to add a little ambiance so to speak to the interior. The interior is industrial looking and has greys and a white headliner.  I am very colorblind That is why I like the industrial grey look I just go into the store and ask where the grey stuff is. Makes it easy. Can Foam board insulation be painted, I just want a no fuss installation.

I have been watching videos on youtube of people using the foam boards to build their cabinets - they use a paint to adhere vinyl screen to it and then paint over it to make it strong enough to withstand - I am building a diy truck slide-in camper and that is what I am going to attempt to do.

Found a great solution for covering my foam board insulation. I ordered and should receive tomorrow, stick on foam boat flooring. Comes in a variety of patterns. It will add a quarter inch more insulation to the 2" foam board insulation.

Latest posts