Installing Windows - Clamp Ring Sizes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkrunaway

Reaction score
Hey everyone, 

I'm installing windows in my van and would love some input on clamp ring sizes. I've posed this over at my build thread as well but have found single topic threads to be very helpful as well!

I feel confident about the installation process and the general steps and materials. The best set of instructions I've found used a large clamp ring whose inner lip would rest on the inside of the interior wall which means I'd need a clamp ring size of >2". 

Problem: CR Laurence sells very few contoured windows with that large of a clamp ring, most are 1/8". 

Has anyone used the 1/8" clamp ring and secured the window to just the wall of the van and perhaps a very thin wood frame? I've seen people do it, but they usually have more structural support in their van walls, possibly built for after market windows. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 and the walls are basically a series of vertical ribs and flat wall panels. 

IMG_0743.JPG
(*Pardon yesterday's and fiberglass remnants)

Because none of the windows with larger clamp rings fit the specs I need, I was thinking of using the 1/8" clamp ring and then building a window box around them to connect the thin wood frame under the clamp ring to the interior wall of the van, creating window ledges. 

Related Question: Should I also avoid placing the window over that horizontal ridge I noticed running 2/3 of the way down the van wall?  :dodgy: I just noticed it...

Off to scrape my walls, wish me luck!

My build thread: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thread-Scout-the-Van-95-Dodge-Ram-High-Top

Attachments

• IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
On the flat windows, usually the clamp ring is reversible, but on a contoured window I dont think that its possible to do that, so...

You can mount the clamp to the metal skin inside, and then build up a trim piece for the interior surface of the wall, that fits the cutout, and is secured with the clamp ring screws.

A good glass shop should be able to cut a trim piece that matches the window dimensions, out of acrylic or plexiglass, something in black or a matching shade of your preference. You will need slightly longer clamp screws if you do this. You could also cut a trim piece from a sheet of luan.

I've had this done for trim around microwaves in the RV and the round windows in my van.

Both Johnson Supply and Bontragers in White Pigeon, MI have thousands of surplus windows and rings in stock. I purchased mine for my motorhome at a t $25. each. All different sizes and styles to choose from.

Just general info for those folks needing cheap surplus RV parts for their projects.