Installing Solar on a High Top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonricher

Reaction score
I have a double wall high top, no idea what is between the walls. I want to install 2-4 panals weighing about 17lbs each. Can I mount those directly to the top or should I install a roof rack first and distribute the weight on the rain gutters. 
I also want to install a fan and some LED lights on four sides.

I will start with two panels and then add the rest over time.

What are my options and what would be best way to go about installing?

Thanks,
Jackson

I think a roof rack is a better option. less holes in the fiberglass. highdesertranger

I installed mine with pvc blocks glued to the fiberglass with 3m 5200. It seems to be holding up well. I scuffed both surfaces well with 40 grit sandpaper to help with the bond. Panel brackets were then screwed down in the pvc blocks. You can get the pvc trim and the 3m 5200 at Home Depot just check the date on the 5200. Don't buy it if it's over a year old. The 5200 has a 7 day cure time and is helped along with some moisture. Mine is a 24" hightop so the gutter mount racks are pretty much out of the question.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I want to go with a roof rack but after I posted I started looking at prices and for now, they are out of my budget.

Mudbunny, what are PVC Blocks, can you explain them or a picture.

Thanks,
Jackson

I bought a 8foot 1x4 pvc trimboard at Home Depot. They are about 1 inch thick by 3 1/2 inches wide and are in the wood trim aisle. Make sure they are all pvc and not pvc coated pressed board. The Home Depot site shows it in packs of 3 but you could buy single "boards" when I bought it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

If you are going to install a fan why not do that first once you figure on your panel layout. Then you will know what is going on inside your top as far as the construction.
The opening should allow you to see inside the top and look for braces added for strength. If you don't have any it would be the time to add them with the hole for the fan still open. Pre drill where the panels are going to be mounted and slide the wood braces into place then drill them and put a bolt through the hole to keep it aligned. Then use non expanding foam insulation to fill the top and you are insulated and ready for your solar panels. The plus is you can use silicone caulking on top and just have the bolts and washers in place until you are ready for the pannels. I wouldn't worry about the hole for your panel wires until the install. You have to drill one anyhow so do that at the time of the installation. Let us know what you figure out. Good luck with your build.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

To get your electricity flowing right away you can park facing south and just lean a solar panel against the windshield.

Hobotech has a youtube video where he put his panels on with some kind of 3M  tape.  He did it over a year ago on his fiberglass hightop class B.

remember when gluing or taping anything to your vehicle it's only as strong as what your are gluing or taping to. in other words if you are gluing/tapping to paint the mount is only as strong as the paint bond. prep is everything follow directions to a tee. highdesertranger