Is it safe to climb on top of a high top van to fix a leak?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
Hey, all,

I have a question. I have an ex-FBI van with a periscope inside, and when its rains really hard, I have a tiny leak in the van, around the periscope. Only a drop or so every few minutes, but I want to stop it before its gets worse.

I can't remove the periscope because it's welded in (I had a welder look at the pictures), so I was thinking of just painting some flex seal around the outside, where the periscope is. I think that must be where it is leaking.

Here is my question... Is ii is safe to put my weight on top of the high top while I'm fixing it? Or will my weight crack the high top? I weigh about 145 pounds. I was going to use a ladder to climb up, but I am not sure if the high top roof can support me.

Thanks!

Well it is impossible to weld to fiberglass so I think you are using the wrong terms. If I remember right this periscope doesn't even work, Is that right? If it doesn't work I would just remove it and patch the hole or put a vent in it's place.

On most of the high tops you can crawl around on top. Key word is "most". Try to spread you weight out, a piece of plywood usually works.

Highdesertranger

It might be welded to a frame member in the roof. In that case it might need to be cut or ground away from the metal it is attached to. Or it might just have a big plate it is welded to and that plate is fastened to the frame or the roof structure with bolts or screws, etc. 

We are kinda guessing but the roof might support your weight or it might not, but the real danger is sliding off and falling about 10 feet. That will not be fun. 

If you can get some help or hire someone with knowledge and the right skill set and tools, that would be much safer.

Safe for you or safe for the roof?

As for something to seal it with, I'm a big fan of 3M Window Weld, the adhesive that holds windshields in place. I used it on my vent fan. Eight years, no problems. It's kind of pricey but worth it

If you distribute your weight with something like a ladder or sheet of plywood there should be no problem going on the roof to fix a leak. On the other hand, its just silly to go up on the roof to take a leak.

MG

Old sun baked fiberglass cracks easily.  I don't go up on th roof of my high top.  I work on it from a ladder on 
the side of the vehicle.