Installing floor over cargo mat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keightley

Reaction score
Hello -

I am just curious.  The black cargo mat in my Chevy express is still very good.  But I do hate the color.  So I am thinking about installing a cork floor over it.  Cork is not only a good insulator but also a sound deadener and I like the look.  I found this one cork flooring product that is used on the decks of boat.  I think this is the material I want to go with but I have not priced it out yet.  It may not be worth the cost.  Anyway, I digress.  Would there be any probably with keep the black mat as an underlayment to the cork?  

Cheers,
Keightley

most of the time the black rubber floor has batting that readily absorbs and holds moisture. something to check. highdesertranger

I second double and triple checking the underside of the rubber mat. Every van I've ever had, had the underside batting soaking wet.

If you do decide to leave the mat in there, then I'd lay at least 1/2" plywood over top of it before laying the cork flooring. You need something rigid under the flooring and the mats all have a texture to them that will eventually come through the cork (unless the cork already has a substantial backing board to it).