Installing a Wall

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinnTek

Reaction score
Not really sure if this is the right place to be posting this question but it seemed to be the closes since I will be using it as insulation as well.

So... this question... yea?

Is there a specific way to go about finding the measurements of the van so that I can install a partition / wall for the back of the van to create the illusion that it is a worker van? 

SinnTek said:
Not really sure if this is the right place to be posting this question but it seemed to be the closes since I will be using it as insulation as well.

So... this question... yea?

Is there a specific way to go about finding the measurements of the van so that I can install a partition / wall for the back of the van to create the illusion that it is a worker van? 

Most of us use something like cardboard to make a pattern. If you cut it too small to start with or don't like the shape of a curve you can always tape some more cardboard in place and try again until you get it exactly the way you want and then transfer that to the wood you're using.

Measurements would be hard to use when you're dealing with the curve in the roof anyway. I just used cardboard. I did a crude measurement and cut one piece a little smaller than needed. I then started cutting and taping bits around the edges until it was right.

This got transferred onto a piece of 2" thick foam which I cut with a jigsaw. When in doubt I cut it a little too big and trimmed it to fit. I added a removable section in the middle so I can reach back and forth and glued black fabric to one side.

Measure once cut twice has always been my motto!

The cardboard template tracing is the best, most accurate way. Do a search on youtube for Dan Travels and he shows you how to make a template for building van walls.

Best of luck.

ha ha ccbreder, good one. as others have said make a template. highdesertranger

lol. I knew that tape measurer was coming... I think I'm gonna try the card board idea.

Just a second on the cardboard. Although I have seen some auto restorers use butcher paper. My problem with that is that stuff is like gold in price!
Cardboard of course is free for the taking.

In the craft stores you can buy a flexible strip that you can form your curves with and then use the strip as a template for marking the curves onto your cardboard or plywood, or whatever you use.

And now that I see this is an older post, I will back out of here and keep reading - LOL.

sunnyslife said:
In the craft stores you can buy a flexible strip that you can form your curves with and then use the strip as a template for marking the curves onto your cardboard or plywood, or whatever you use.

And now that I see this is an older post, I will back out of here and keep reading - LOL.

HEY HEY HEY is there a trade name for this "flexible Strip"?

MikeRuth said:
HEY HEY HEY is there a trade name for this "flexible Strip"?

http://www.amazon.com/12-inch-Flexible-Curve-Plastic-French/dp/B00HX9EM0K

Took me a bit to find it, I have one in my sewing tools but it has no name on it.

Commonly used by dress designers and pattern makers rather than the hard plastic French curve templates because it's flexible.

And many thanks to Sunnylife for suggesting it for van wall templates, I doubt that I would have translated it from the sewing room to the inside of the van even though I'm pretty good at repurposing things.... :)

hey thanks for the link to the flexible ruler. that looks like a handy tool. does it hold a fixed position? or is it just for measuring? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
hey thanks for the link to the flexible ruler.  that looks like a handy tool. does it hold a fixed position? or is it just for measuring?  highdesertranger

It will hold a fixed position as long as you're careful with it. It's generally meant to lay flat on a horizontal surface while you shift it into the shape of a curve that you want.

Mine is an earlier version - it doesn't have a ruler on it so no it's not just meant for measuring. The pic I grabbed off the internet is the first one I've seen with a tape measure built in.

I just tried mine on the arm of the sofa and it held the curves quite nicely. I could then take that shape and lay it out on a pattern.

Keep in mind that it's only 24" long though so doing the whole shape of a van wall could be a challenge.

If you are going to use cardboard to make a template you don't have to buy any (in my experience) -- just head to your local appliance or furniture store and ask if they have any cardboard they don't want -- I've gotten quite a bit for free that way for different projects over the years.

Thanks for the tips guys this was for my Chevrolet 2500 however I had to give it back to the dealership due to lack of funds however I purchased a 1982 Chevrolet G20 and it is already basicaly a conversion van at this point as it was modified by Cozy Craft.

I'll be going the blackout curtain and cardboard route this time around.