Input abt AZ 87 in Winter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedhighway46

Reaction score
Hello tribe:

I’m starting to seriously plan my route to RTR coming up. I will be traveling from Grand Rapids, MI and want to stay out of the snow as much as possible.

I would like comments and experiences from anyone who has knowledge abt Arizona Rout 87 from Payson to the Mesa area joining up to I-10. I want to stay out of the north end of the state as much as possible.

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I know nothing about AZ 87, but I am looking forward to seeing you at RTR. someone will chime in about 87. see you there. highdesertranger

I travel that highway a couple of times a week as my Mom lives in Payson. What do you want to know? It is a scenic drive, and does go up to around 5K'. I don't remember any issues driving it last winter. If you come through in the next month or so you should be fine. After that just check the weather. Snow doesn't stick around very long in the Payson area. The highway itself is a dual lane highway the entire way. There is some road construction for about a mile in the middle right now, but it isn't much of a slowdown.

Again, let me know your concerns and I'll be happy to answer them. I'm driving up from Mesa to see Mom tomorrow, in fact.

FWIW, head south first to say Nashville, then turn east on the 40, head to Dallas. Avoid the Rockies and elevation for risk of weather, ice and snow. Hwy 20 to the 10 in the south avoids all that mmostly, as much as possible. Or 180 for the quiet scenic route through Texas. Longer, but warmer and less weather risk. If shortest route desired, watch the weather reports and get the MyRadar app.

Turn WEST on the 40 not east. Lol. Damn autocorrect.
But you knew what I meant.

Shadowmoss (cool name!): I’m very used to driving in all types of winter weather, being in Michigan. Years ago I was going west on 40 and the gates across the road came down and I was stuck for three days.

I’m looking for knowledge abt this road being closed; or impassable; or unsafe. A properly maintained highway in the winter is no problem; the typically “bad places” I want to route around.

Thanks for your reply.

Speed, that road is rarely closed even in crummy weather. Been up and down a hundred times on my motorcycle car and pulling my 5th wheel. The exception is a wreck which can close one direction for hours. You can come down 87, pickup the 202 to I 10 and head west out of town. The only place there is usually construction is around mt. ord (147.36+ pl 162.2) due to road stability issues. They have been working on that short section of road for years and sometimes it can go down to one lane at times. Shadowmoss can attest to that.

I am in Chandler, Az. Lemee know when you are coming thru and we can chat on vhf/uhf.

-Mike

Minivanmotoman said:
Turn WEST on the 40 not east. Lol. Damn autocorrect.
But you knew what I meant.

Thanks, this seems perfect for me. Im coming from Quebec and was trying to route to avoid toll roads (so many here in the east) and the Rockies in winter.

87 road has been much improved from prior years (decades ago)... easy road now for driving...two lane road and divided. If the weather is iffy, drive during the day. There are areas in the wintertime (night driving) around Grants NM to Gallup NM on 40 where the road conditions are notorious for snow/ice. I'd suggest hitting this area and into/past west of Payson during the daytime if weather warrants it.

HIGHLY recommend swinging by Saguaro Lake (exit near mile marker #199 off 87, south onto Bush Hwy)...you would end up near where you were IF you didn't swing by the lake - IT'S A GORGEOUS DRIVE!!!<<< ...there is a reasonably priced restaurant ( http://www.saguarolakemarina.com/menu.html ) overlooking the picturesque lake...grab the awesome fish & chips. And, if you are so inclined you could take the Desert Belle ( http://desertbelle.com ). Tickets online. Hit the northern 202 west (there are two 202's - one south and one north) before 2:30pm. EDIT: Saguaro Lake parking might be a gamble if your unit is big. I've driven a 36 passenger bus in there, it's the turn around that's a pain.

Camping 8 miles just down the road from Saguaro Lake (Coon Bluff Campground 480-610-3300) Coord's 33.547843, -111.646455

Az511.gov is Arizona's portion of the national 511 travel information alerting system. Traffic updates are available at az511.gov, and also by dialing 511 from any landline or mobile phone from anywhere in Arizona. If you are outside of Arizona, dial 888.411.ROAD (7623).

Personally, unless you have a compelling reason I would avoid Northern New Mexico and Arizona entirely. I always take 1-10 across both in the winter. Southeast AZ is beautiful and that's the best time to visit it.

FYI, in a recent discussion with the locals, not much snow so won't be snowed in like a mountain pass. But, due to 5000 ft elevation and milder day time temperatures yet frequent subzero overnight, snow melt and freeze in the morning and sunset on the road is an issue with beware of ice on road signs all along 87. And lots of high trees creating shadows making detection almost impossible. Curvy windy road in spots, can be hazardous. Cautious if you must, avoid of you can.